Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Sam Flynn 1 minute ago.
General Discussion: What Would an "Investigation" Consist of? - by Trevor Marriott 11 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Fisherman 21 minutes ago.
General Discussion: What Would an "Investigation" Consist of? - by harry 5 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: The East End Conference 2018: London - by Andrew Firth 11 hours ago.
General Discussion: What Would an "Investigation" Consist of? - by Wickerman 12 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - (38 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (5 posts)
General Discussion: What Would an "Investigation" Consist of? - (4 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (3 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: The East End Conference 2018: London - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Bury, W.H.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 02-06-2018, 09:52 AM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Thanks Abby.

In Ellen's specific case, Bury had all the time and opportunity in the world to do a proper job on her, but she got off far more lightly than even Tabram, never mind Nichols and the other Whitechapel (as opposed to Bromley) evisceration victims.
Bury was hardly likely to hang himself? If Bury had gone to town more on Ellen Bury he would have been hung as Jack as it is Bury nearly got off in 1889.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02-06-2018, 11:13 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I must be one of them plebs, then, because I don't find that in the least unbelievable.

He was a violent drunkard, like you say, so why couldn't he have come home pissed and, finding his wife had killed herself, flipped and "lost his rag" with her one final time?

I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's certainly not unlikely.
But doesn't this scenario, a drunk Bury arriving home, flipping, and losing control, equally support the argument that he murdered his wife?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 02-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
But doesn't this scenario, a drunk Bury arriving home, flipping, and losing control, equally support the argument that he murdered his wife?
Indeed it could, John. Either scenario is possible - I don't see why a nasty piece of work like Bury couldn't have blown a fuse and inflicted drunken violence on Ellen's body whether he found her dead or alive.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 02-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 10,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Thanks Sam
why cut her in the abdomen at all then?
It was scarcely a cut worth writing home about. The whole "mutilation" of Ellen Bury strkes me as somewhat tentative, half-hearted affair. Certainly not the work of someone with at least four accomplished mutilation murders under his belt, three of which were conducted under extreme time-pressure in public places.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 02-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
It was scarcely a cut worth writing home about. The whole "mutilation" of Ellen Bury strkes me as somewhat tentative, half-hearted affair. Certainly not the work of someone with at least four accomplished mutilation murders under his belt, three of which were conducted under extreme time-pressure in public places.
I understand all that Sam and you didn't answer the question.

What I cant understand, whether he killed her not (and he did) is why cut the stomach once shes already dead?

any reason you can think of?
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 02-06-2018, 12:43 PM
John Wheat John Wheat is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
I understand all that Sam and you didn't answer the question.

What I cant understand, whether he killed her not (and he did) is why cut the stomach once shes already dead?

any reason you can think of?
The only logical explanation is that he was Jack.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 02-06-2018, 01:53 PM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
I understand all that Sam and you didn't answer the question.

What I cant understand, whether he killed her not (and he did) is why cut the stomach once shes already dead?

any reason you can think of?
He was a psychopath?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 02-06-2018, 02:15 PM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 6,332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
He was a psychopath?
LOL. well we already know that. but why specifically slash the stomach post mortem?

especially hard to explain because he was apparently obsessed about NOT being accused of being the ripper?
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 02-06-2018, 02:28 PM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
LOL. well we already know that. but why specifically slash the stomach post mortem?

especially hard to explain because he was apparently obsessed about NOT being accused of being the ripper?
The mutilation also took place soon after Ellen's death.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
LOL. well we already know that. but why specifically slash the stomach post mortem?

especially hard to explain because he was apparently obsessed about NOT being accused of being the ripper?
What's also confusing in that respect is the chalk writing confession: "Jack Ripper is at the back of this door", and "Jack Ripper is in this seller [sic]."

Okay, I know the Dundee Advertiser suggested it looked as though it was written by a small boy, but that was presumably because of the spelling and grammatical mistakes-which interestingly also applies to The Diary!

Personally, I think on balance Bury wrote it: if it was there when he moved in it would represent a huge coincidence considering what subsequently happened. And why not rub it off? It's also highly unlikely that someone else wrote it after the murder because no one but Bury entered the apartment from the time of the murder to the discovery of the body; and once the murder had been reported at least one policeman was on duty at the scene of the crime.

Last edited by John G : 02-07-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.