Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Varqm 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 2 hours ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Varqm 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Simon Wood 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by DJA 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wickerman 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (27 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (14 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (4 posts)
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #2611  
Old 01-01-2017, 01:21 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
Fair point, Ike. I await evidence that those assumptions are incorrect. The fact is, even with today's technology, I don't know a single racegoer who pays the slightest bit of attention to how fast the race time is. Not the slightest bit. Never hear it mentioned. I know a trainer, he is obsessive about time during training, but once the race starts there isn't a stopwatch to be seen.

But it's exactly what we'd expect, exactly, if it were a modern attempt to add verisimilitude. It even seems clunkily out of place in the context of that passage in the diary. It's quite a crass attempt, in fact.
I have heard mention of a race being the fastest time in history, or the fastest since the length was changed, but only if it is a new record and even then only with a major race.

The Melbourne Cup springs to mind, it has only been over two distances I think, two miles and then 3200 metres (pretty close to the same thing).
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2612  
Old 01-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 883
Default

Just if you're wondering, the Iconoclast clan are settling down to watch that other brilliant sleuth, Sherlock. Normal service will be resumed thereafter ...
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2613  
Old 01-01-2017, 01:27 PM
GUT GUT is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: I come from a land Down Under
Posts: 7,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Frankly if you take the Iconoclast approach you could equally argue that Maybrick mistakenly thought it was the slowest race he'd ever seen. Perhaps someone wrongly told it was.

Perhaps he went into the bar for a drink and someone told him there had been a downpour so he was under the impression it had been pouring with rain that day.

It's all entirely unrealistic. Whatever happened to Occam's Razor?
So if this Occam bloke had a razor maybe he was Jack, probably as much chance as Maybrick.
__________________
G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2614  
Old 01-01-2017, 02:11 PM
ChrisGeorge ChrisGeorge is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
1. It was not the fastest race for 18 years. It doesn't have to be - Maybrick simply has to think it to be. I'm aware of that and I'm saying that Maybrick appears to be the only person in history who thought it was. It's wholly unrealistic and implausible to believe that he, and he alone, would have thought it to be the fastest race he'd ever seen.

2. No-one (other than the Maybrick journal) describes it as the fastest race for 18 years or any other period of time. I can't honestly say that strikes me as terribly pertinent. It's a statistic, true, but a fairly mundane one. Why would anyone print it??? Maybrick scribbled it in his journal and moved on. I doubt he anticipated the drama it would cause!
Apart from being a "fairly mundane" statistic it was untrue and inaccurate. And being an untrue and inaccurate and mundane factoid it doesn't make any sense that Maybrick records it in his diary and suggests he took pleasure from watching the fastest race he'd ever seen (something which even you admit he could not have perceived while watching it!)
The statement is in the Diary because whomever wrote the Diary thought it lent authenticity to the narrative. For the reasons we have been discussing, it doesn't at all lend authenticity to the story but instead sounds yet another duff note in a very dubious document.
__________________
Christopher T. George
Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2615  
Old 01-01-2017, 05:48 PM
harry harry is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,905
Default

The weather on the actual day of the race would matter little,if preceeding days had been wet,and according to one poster above,the weather had taken a dramatic change,from bad to good.So,on that assumption,a wet track and slower times.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2616  
Old 01-02-2017, 01:39 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,445
Default

To describe an important race such as the Grand National as the fastest in history, or the fastest in living memory, the relevant statistic must have greatly impressed the author. And, realistically, for that to be the case it must have been a celebrated race, thereby attracting lots of press coverage referring to the pertinent fact, or assumption. But, of course, that wasn't remotely the case.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2617  
Old 01-02-2017, 02:54 AM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
To describe an important race such as the Grand National as the fastest in history, or the fastest in living memory, the relevant statistic must have greatly impressed the author. And, realistically, for that to be the case it must have been a celebrated race, thereby attracting lots of press coverage referring to the pertinent fact, or assumption. But, of course, that wasn't remotely the case.
Your argument works for both pro- and anti-journalists John G. Could you clarify if you are saying only a modern-day forger could have read those reports or whether you are saying that Maybrick could have benefited in a similar fashion the day after the race, please?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2618  
Old 01-02-2017, 03:54 AM
Henry Flower Henry Flower is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hackney Wick
Posts: 1,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Just if you're wondering, the Iconoclast clan are settling down to watch that other brilliant sleuth, Sherlock. Normal service will be resumed thereafter ...
How was it, Ike? I've heard bad things about it.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2619  
Old 01-02-2017, 06:36 AM
Iconoclast Iconoclast is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
How was it, Ike? I've heard bad things about it.
Hi Henry,

As predicted in the press, it was edgier and 'darker' than the previous series, and Mrs Iconoclast and I were not as comfortable as previously. It's definitely not 'comfort' TV, and I'm not sure if it's trying to cross genres to impress or even broaden its audience.

No spoilers here (I hope), but John Watson's behaviour needs to be explained quickly or else we (Mrs I and I) will find it hard to believe his character anymore.

Definitely watch it. You'll be impressed with the writing. Not the stuff of cosy cocoa before bed, though. I'd crack open a bottle of something if I were you. We should have opened two (Mrs I can knock it back once she gets going).

Hope this helps.

Ike
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2620  
Old 01-02-2017, 06:45 AM
Observer Observer is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,654
Default

Arthur Conan Doyle believed in fairies apparently, so he would have believed in the Diaries authenticity one hundred per cent.

Last edited by Observer : 01-02-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.