Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 4 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 9 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Batman 20 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 21 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 23 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Batman 25 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (107 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - (22 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (12 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (6 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Patterns of behavior and Tumblety - (4 posts)
Letters and Communications: I'm not a butcher, I'm not a Yid...... - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 12-30-2016, 02:40 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
The diary was introduced to the world by a chap called Mike Barrett - This is true.

Mike Barrett confessed to having forged the diary- This is true (the confession being that he forged it with his wife).

Mike Barrett had tried to purchase an unused Victorian diary - This is true (save that he tried to purchase a used Victorian diary with blank pages) and he did in fact purchase such a diary.

The diary contains at least one but perhaps three or more phrases that were almost certainly not in use till long after 1888 - I would say this is true and is incontrovertible, unequivocal and undeniable in the case of "one off instance" and, therefore, 'beyond doubt' but is, perhaps, in a different category of 'fact' from the above three .
Hello David,

I've no doubt that Mike Barrett had some involvement in this "conspiracy", but it may have been quite quite minor, i.e. the purchasing of the diary and that of frontman.

However, the fact remains that people who have met Mike Barrett consider him to be a most unlikely forger of the diary.

And frankly, just because a person claims to have forged a Ripper diary, or makes the grandiose claim, "I think I have found him", doesn't mean I'm necessarily going to believe them.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
According to some.

I have no idea how anyone can gave confidence in it.

Even if it was 109% genuine, the games that have surrounded it would worry anyone.
Indeed. And moreover I'd be suspicious of that extra 9% of genuine. That reeks of forgery to me!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Inactive

Quote:
There is a certain irony in the fact that the retraction of Mike Barrett's confession (in a recorded interview) seems to be regarded by those who don't believe a single word Barrett says as genuine and believable, whereas his affidavit in which he confesses is not believed.

To save Caz the time, I would say that Ripper Diary: The Inside Story by Seth Linder, Caroline Morris and Keith Skinner is a very enjoyable and worthwhile read if you are interested in all the crazy twists and turns of the story.
Thank you David. I'll get hold of it.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
However, the fact remains that people who have met Mike Barrett consider him to be a most unlikely forger of the diary.
But as I keep saying John, who of those people had met him in or before March 1992?

People change don't they - especially alcoholics - so anyone who met him in 1993 or 1994 might have a false view of him. And if anyone met him when he was drunk that would surely distort their view because drunks are different people to when they are sober aren't they?

What does it really mean to say he was an "unlikely forger"? He told plenty of lies didn't he? So isn't that a big qualification?

He appears to have been capable of producing about 17 pages of research notes which he sent to Shirley Harrison. So he was sufficiently competent to do that. He was not incapable.

I just don't understand what it means to say he was an "unlikely forger". Give me some credible reasons why this description is valid.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
And frankly, just because a person claims to have forged a Ripper diary, or makes the grandiose claim, "I think I have found him", doesn't mean I'm necessarily going to believe them.
No, of course not John but Mike Barrett is not just "a person" who claims to have forged a Ripper diary, he is the person who first produced the diary to the world.

Further, he placed an advertisement for a Victorian diary with blank pages in March 1992. Why did he do that?

Further, a forensic document expert who examined the diary in 1992 found that the ink had only recently been added to the paper.

So it's not as if there isn't corroboration for the notion that the diary was produced in or around 1992.

What good reason is there not to believe that Barrett forged the diary with his wife?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:56 PM
Inactive

No Kindle version!? Aaaaargggh!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:56 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
But as I keep saying John, who of those people had met him in or before March 1992?

People change don't they - especially alcoholics - so anyone who met him in 1993 or 1994 might have a false view of him. And if anyone met him when he was drunk that would surely distort their view because drunks are different people to when they are sober aren't they?

What does it really mean to say he was an "unlikely forger"? He told plenty of lies didn't he? So isn't that a big qualification?

He appears to have been capable of producing about 17 pages of research notes which he sent to Shirley Harrison. So he was sufficiently competent to do that. He was not incapable.

I just don't understand what it means to say he was an "unlikely forger". Give me some credible reasons why this description is valid.
One of the smartest blokes I've ever know, had degrees in law and actuarial studies, was an alcoholic, when sober for a few days (not that often) a genius, when drinking you'd take him for a blithering idiot.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:58 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
Indeed. And moreover I'd be suspicious of that extra 9% of genuine. That reeks of forgery to me!
Phat phingers.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Commisioner

Let's not forget he swore not one, but two affidavits that he and his wife Anne, forged it.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:05 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
No Kindle version!? Aaaaargggh!
I'm pretty sure I had a Kindle copy...

As you were! My mistake; what I meant to say was that I used my copy for kindling.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)