Did JtR murder on his days off work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    There is a lengthy thread on it somewhere, I'll try and find it.

Even if some streets are closed it doesn't prove it was a public holiday.

10,000 people in need would be provided for.

This has been a considerable holiday, for it is Lord Mayor's Day, and all London gave itself up to the celebration. There was a procession from the Mansion House down Fleet Street and Charing Cross to Trafalgar Square, and then back along the Embankment, a wonderful circus-like pageant, particularly attractive this year, .....
    R.D.Blumenfeld's Diary, 10 November 1890

On Lord Mayor's Day London gives itself up to holiday-making, and turns out in its thousands to see the time-honoured Show. Our view exhibits the State Carriage, conveying the new Lord Mayor, Sir Walter Wilkin, to the Law Courts to be sworn in before Her Majesty's Judges. THE LORD MAYOR'S PROCESSION (1895), FROM PUNCH OFFICE, IN FLEET STREET.

Loads more contemporary stories about it being a holiday. Some people even describe staying indoors and not going out for it.
    Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
      http://www.casebook.org/press_report.../18881107.html

10,000 people in need would be provided for.

This has been a considerable holiday, for it is Lord Mayor's Day, and all London gave itself up to the celebration. There was a procession from the Mansion House down Fleet Street and Charing Cross to Trafalgar Square, and then back along the Embankment, a wonderful circus-like pageant, particularly attractive this year, .....
      R.D.Blumenfeld's Diary, 10 November 1890

On Lord Mayor's Day London gives itself up to holiday-making, and turns out in its thousands to see the time-honoured Show. Our view exhibits the State Carriage, conveying the new Lord Mayor, Sir Walter Wilkin, to the Law Courts to be sworn in before Her Majesty's Judges. THE LORD MAYOR'S PROCESSION (1895), FROM PUNCH OFFICE, IN FLEET STREET.

Loads more contemporary stories about it being a holiday. Some people even describe staying indoors and not going out for it.

Your argument isn't with me, was just pointing out what some believe.

However how is that at the beginning of the month
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

According to the Echo, 9th November 1888, Lord Mayor's Day was observed as a holiday for those that could afford it. It therefore would not be a paid holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dane_F View Post
          Maybe it was less about when he had off work and more about when there were lots of people on the streets.
          That’s a good point, Dane—it would have been easier for him to get lost in the crowd.

I also think the occasional prostitute would be more likely to come out of the woodwork on holidays and weekends when more men would have been off work, that is, when more prospective customers would have been in the area. If prostitutes were in greater supply on holidays and weekends, it would have been easier for the Ripper to find a victim at those times. Instead of focusing on the Ripper’s possible work schedule, it could be that we should be focusing on the supply of available prostitutes as the important factor in the murder dates. Just something to think about.
          “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
          http://www.williambury.org

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post
            That’s a good point, Dane—it would have been easier for him to get lost in the crowd.

I also think the occasional prostitute would be more likely to come out of the woodwork on holidays and weekends when more men would have been off work, that is, when more prospective customers would have been in the area. If prostitutes were in greater supply on holidays and weekends, it would have been easier for the Ripper to find a victim at those times. Instead of focusing on the Ripper’s possible work schedule, it could be that we should be focusing on the supply of available prostitutes as the important factor in the murder dates. Just something to think about.

Struth who would he kill if the street were deserted.

More people out and about better chance to find someone n a position he could strike.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hey batman
              My point about the ripper never killing in the middle part of the month seems to have been lost in the meantime.

Do you have any idea if there are any types of employment during Victorian period London, that would prohibit someone from killing in the middle part of the month? Perhaps because it specifically takes them out of the city during that time period?

Comment

Payday maybe?

Shipping.

Comment

holiday?

Hello Batman. Thanks.

A holiday is not necessarily at beginning or ending of month.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

via media

Hello Abby. Ah! You mean there were no killings on the 15th?

Be it so noted.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Payday maybe?

Shipping.
                      Both great ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt Earp View Post

Yes that is my feeling as well. More people = more opportunity and ability to disappear.

I also personally feel that because of the C5 all happening within a short period of time it's hard to try and read into "no murders in middle of month". The Holidays/Weekend argument is far more compelling to me and makes a lot of sense.

I ate Spaghetti on Sunday's growing up not because I asked for it and cooked it but because my family did. I think JTR killed at those times not because he needed to but because those were the easiest times to.

Comment

Payday maybe?

Shipping.
                          Why do you think he wouldn't kill on payday? Shipping? Are you speculating he was a sailor? Why would that necessarily stop him from killing in the middle of the month?
                          Last edited by John G; 04-22-2015, 08:25 AM.

Comment

While I too subscribe to the holidays/weekends scenario the fact that so much Victorian labour was unskilled and irregular probably meant that a lot of men left the city environs for weeks at a time and then returned to a base. Men working on canals, on railways, providing casual labour on the market gardens encircling the city, (that was often seasonal.) Also workers in travelling circuses and shows, as well as commercial travellers coming in and out of London.

I still think Jack was either in regular employment somewhere like a local horse slaughterers or was picking up casual work in the docks or markets of the East End.

Comment

Originally posted by John G View Post
                              Why do you think he wouldn't kill on payday? Shipping? Are you speculating he was a sailor? Why would that necessarily stop him from killing in the middle of the month?
                              There are two questions here.

1. Why kill on holiday/weekends/end of month/start of the month?
                              2. Why no murders in October?

1. Money can explain this.
                              2. A cool-down period can explain this.

I was asked for ideas about possible jobs that can take someone out in October. There are plenty. However I go with the idea he was on a cool-down.

Comment

I tend to believe he had enough income to live alone or with somebody that didn't question his comings and goings. (or pay much attention) It seems unlikely to me that he would have went to a crowded lodging house to hide/change after the murders. That alone does not mean he had steady employment. Perhaps he had enough income to get by from some other source or was living with a relative who took care of the financials.

However, assuming he was gainfully employed what sort of jobs available in the east end at the time would allow somebody to afford their own private lodgings?
                                Last edited by gnote; 04-22-2015, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X