Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by caz 15 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - by Sam Flynn 15 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Elamarna 15 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Batman 32 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by caz 39 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - by Abby Normal 46 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (87 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (16 posts)
Non-Fiction: Jack and the Thames Torso Murders: A New Ripper? - (16 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (4 posts)
Bury, W.H.: The Spooners - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 10-04-2018, 01:30 AM
Superintendent

Default All Roads Lead to Dorset St.,

I wonder if we can compile a list of all the times Dorset St., comes up in relation to the Whitechapel murders outside of the time of Mary Kelly's murder at 26 Dorset Street, including statements at the time from people who lived/stayed there like Maxwell, Cox, etc,
  1. They were ‘done up for cash’, as Kelly put it, but Kelly pawned his boots, Eddowes taking them to a broker named Smith, who had premises in Church Street, where she pledged them in the name of ‘Jane Kelly’, giving her address as 6 Dorset Street, - Begg, Paul. Jack the Ripper: The Facts.
  2. Yarmouth letter giving a Dorset Street address for Jack as 14 Dorset St., before Mary Kelly was murdered, published on 2nd November 1888. https://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=15280
  3. Mary Ann Connelly 'Pearly Poll', lived in Crossingham's lodging house, (35) Dorset Street East London Advertiser, 25 August 1888.
  4. Annie Chapman (Sievey) lived at 30 Dorset St. and 35 Dorset St.
  5. Stride lived at 38 Dorset Street.
  6. Some women viewed Eddowes body and said she had stayed before at 26 Dorset St. 'shed', a front room. (note that Eddowes pawned boots the day of her murder under the address of 6 Dorset St.,)

Last edited by Batman : 10-04-2018 at 01:34 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:03 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I wonder if we can compile a list of all the times Dorset St., comes up in relation to the Whitechapel murders outside of the time of Mary Kelly's murder at 26 Dorset Street, including statements at the time from people who lived/stayed there like Maxwell, Cox, etc,
  1. They were ‘done up for cash’, as Kelly put it, but Kelly pawned his boots, Eddowes taking them to a broker named Smith, who had premises in Church Street, where she pledged them in the name of ‘Jane Kelly’, giving her address as 6 Dorset Street, - Begg, Paul. Jack the Ripper: The Facts.
  2. Yarmouth letter giving a Dorset Street address for Jack as 14 Dorset St., before Mary Kelly was murdered, published on 2nd November 1888. https://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=15280
  3. Mary Ann Connelly 'Pearly Poll', lived in Crossingham's lodging house, (35) Dorset Street East London Advertiser, 25 August 1888.
  4. Annie Chapman (Sievey) lived at 30 Dorset St. and 35 Dorset St.
  5. Stride lived at 38 Dorset Street.
  6. Some women viewed Eddowes body and said she had stayed before at 26 Dorset St. 'shed', a front room. (note that Eddowes pawned boots the day of her murder under the address of 6 Dorset St.,)
Dorset Street was regarded as one of the worst streets in London and its reputation remained so until 1901.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Old 10-04-2018, 02:24 AM
Casebook Supporter

Dorset Street was renowned for its doss/lodging-houses, with room for more than 800 people; it was a veritable "go to" destination for many poor people, so it's hardly surprising to see its name turning up. In this context, it's noteworthy that Greenfield Street, Flower & Dean Street and the Victoria Home, each with a comparatively smaller population than Dorset Street, can be connected with more than one person associated with the case.

With specific regard to Dorset Street's connections to the victims, there are some factors we need to bear in mind, for instance:

1. There is some doubt as to the veracity of the story of Eddowes having lived in a "shed" in Dorset Street. At any rate, the story is not widely attested and only turns up (I think) retrospectively, in connection with the Kelly murder.

2. Notwithstanding the "shed" reference, I can't recall offhand that Eddowes is known to have lived in Dorset Street.

3. Stride is only known to have been in Dorset Street in 1885, three years before the murders. She seems to have spent much of her remaining time in and around St George in the East where, significantly I think, she met her end.

4. Apart from Chapman and Kelly, I don't recall that any of the women lived in Dorset Street at the same time.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Last edited by Sam Flynn : 10-04-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:32 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post

4. There is, to my knowledge, no record of Polly Nichols having lived in Dorset Street.
Gareth,

Polly's address on her death cert was 35, Dorset Street.

Gary
Old 10-04-2018, 02:39 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
Polly's address on her death cert was 35, Dorset Street.
Thanks for the correction, Gary. I'll remove that from my previous list.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 10-04-2018, 02:53 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Thanks for the correction, Gary. I'll remove that from my previous list.
I think Tom Wescott was the first to point that out (in print at least). He also highlighted the connection of various victims/witnesses to 18/19, George Street.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:02 AM
Detective

Which is probably why the Killer was lucky to find a victim with a room in Millar's Court to kill, otherwise he would have had 800 plus people looking at him if he killed right on Dorset Street. Rather than having a hit list of women he wanted to kill, did he have a list of streets, where he thought "I'll give them a go"
Old 10-04-2018, 03:07 AM
Superintendent

Well, someone fatally stabbed Mary Ann Austin in a cubicle in 35, Dorset Street a decade or so later.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:08 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Beaver View Post
Rather than having a hit list of women he wanted to kill, did he have a list of streets, where he thought "I'll give them a go"
Could have had both. However, the street hit list is almost a must because he needs to escape and he needs to know how to avoid being stopped. Unless he is a PC himself, that took some planning and not just blind luck, although luck obviously plays a part too. He made his own luck by knowing his routes.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:13 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
Well, someone fatally stabbed Mary Ann Austin in a cubicle in 35, Dorset Street a decade or so later.
This is really interesting because of comparisons to Emma Smith and Martha Tabram.

Thanks.