No announcement yet.

Recently watched movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I saw Jaws at the cinema on it's original release, there has been all this stuff about how fake the shark was, but it drew me in totally, the death of Quint seemed to go on forever and was extremely harrowing.
    Then later on discovering the Indianopolis story was essentially true,well,just a brilliant film.
    My dad loved Zulu,so I have seen it I don't know how many times, It was on again recently, and I watched it, again.
    I liked Nigel Green, the very epitome of a British Seargent Major,and his line to Jack Hawkins "Be quiet now,there's a good gentleman,you are scaring the lads"
    That line was used more or less verbatim by Sean Pertwee in the Horror movie Dog Soldiers,as a kind of homage I expect.
    Zulu Dawn is by no means a bad film,but it mainly shows how good Zulu was.
    Both Jaws and Zulu should be compulsory viewing for the modern crash bang wallop CGI obsessed audience, as an example of how films can create unbearable tension, even when there is nothing happening.
    All the best.

Comment

• There was a line near the end, "Smile you son of a bitch." However I believe the biggest great whites are female.

Yes, poor Shaw has a harrowing end.

Comment

• I watched Zulu last night.

I've probably seen Zulu more times than any other film, and I can still watch it again
        “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

• I saw "The Raven" last week.

Excellent movie, despite the brutal reviews.

Comment

• I find it is best to go by word of mouth on horror and sci fi films,there are exceptions but generally they always get a good kicking in the reviews,then years later they are lauded as 'classics'.
            I read a good description of modern horror films recently,that they are populated by a cast of American teenagers with one character trait each.
            We do care what happens to fully realised characters,something both Jaws and Zulu achieves,but then again its hard to find the calibre of actors like Robert Shaw,Roy Scheider, Stanley Baker and Nigel Green around these days.
            All the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
              I find it is best to go by word of mouth on horror and sci fi films,there are exceptions but generally they always get a good kicking in the reviews,then years later they are lauded as 'classics'.
              I read a good description of modern horror films recently,that they are populated by a cast of American teenagers with one character trait each.
              We do care what happens to fully realised characters,something both Jaws and Zulu achieves,but then again its hard to find the calibre of actors like Robert Shaw,Roy Scheider, Stanley Baker and Nigel Green around these days.
              All the best.
              Well, it's not horror but it's about James Whale, the director of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. Just watched it for the second time, Of Gods and Monsters.

Ian McKellen is superb. A great actor. At the end I just broke down and cried.

And I'm thrilled to say they are playing for one night Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein in the movies, and I am going!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                Well, it's not horror but it's about James Whale, the director of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein. Just watched it for the second time, Of Gods and Monsters.

Ian McKellen is superb. A great actor. At the end I just broke down and cried.
                Saw it many years ago. A beautiful movie

Comment

• Almost ashamed to admit that I just finished watching "Screwballs"--a corny sex comedy from the 'eighties. It was surprising enjoyable (I almost said "good", but who would I be kidding). It's got that Porky's vibe going, without the racist undertones.

To pile infamy upon infamy, I'm about to start watching the sequel "Loose Screws" right now. Fortunately for the last vestiges of my reputation, the second sequel "Screwball Hotel", isn't available on video--yet.

It's surprising just how many of these cheesy teen comedies were Canadian--I guess that was because of all the sweet tax-breaks they used to get back in the eighties for producing movies--however bad they might be.

Comment

• Saw a reference to this on casebook, another column entirely and looked it up, not knowing how accurate it is, but very well done:

Princes in the Tower

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                    X