Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    Richard.
    Any design for the internal layout of No.26 Dorset St. 'must' be consistent with what we 'know' from external sources.

The Goads scale is 40ft = 1 inch, the actual width of No.26 Dorset St., including Kelly's room is 3/8" wide = 15ft.

The depth of Kelly's room is 1/4" = 10ft.
    This does, of course, assume that Kelly's room stretches to the straight line on the Goad map.

My own measurements made it 15ft x 9ft but there has to be a margin of error so 15 x 10 would work. But I stress that this assumes that the wooden partition was located where the line is on the Goad map.

Comment

• David. Ill draw out my idea later. Its weird.

I dont have hard proof as to the nature of that 'brick wall' line. My only suggestion is that it doesnt appear that any of the other houses have their internal walls mapped out. But ill keep looking.
      there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
        This does, of course, assume that Kelly's room stretches to the straight line on the Goad map.

My own measurements made it 15ft x 9ft but there has to be a margin of error so 15 x 10 would work. But I stress that this assumes that the wooden partition was located where the line is on the Goad map.
        Yes David, that is true.
        Should there be any partition to the north of the wall shown on the Goads plan, that space to be of any use must be approx. 3ft wide, which reduces the depth of rm 13 to 7ft.

However, what is that 3ft space used for?
        Another staircase?
        To where?
        Room 19 above opened onto the landing of the main house staircase.
        So what purpose is that second staircase?, which then questions the purpose of allowing for a second partition.
        If a second staircase would be surplus, then a second partition is unnecessary.

I don't think we can justify a separate partition wall.
        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
          David. Ill draw out my idea later. Its weird.

I dont have hard proof as to the nature of that 'brick wall' line. My only suggestion is that it doesnt appear that any of the other houses have their internal walls mapped out. But ill keep looking.
          Okay. The only thing I would add is that where a 2 storey building meets a 3 storey building (to become one single building) I would expect there to be a dividing wall (and a connecting door) so that if the line on the map does represent a brick wall, I would also expect it represent the point at which the 2 storey building meets the 3 storey building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            Yes David, that is true.
            Should there be any partition to the north of the wall shown on the Goads plan, that space to be of any use must be approx. 3ft wide, which reduces the depth of rm 13 to 7ft.

However, what is that 3ft space used for?
            Another staircase?
            To where?
            Room 19 above opened onto the landing of the main house staircase.
            So what purpose is that second staircase?, which then questions the purpose of allowing for a second partition.
            If a second staircase would be surplus, then a second partition is unnecessary.

I don't think we can justify a separate partition wall.
            I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that Richard's current model is wrong then? Where are you saying the staircase actually is?

If the partition wall is where I say it might be, i.e. to the north of the wall in the Goad plan, it only requires a slight adjustment to Richard's model (moving things up a bit).

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
              Richard

The site that David directed you to is tricky to traverse and as I remember the reproduction isn't very clear. You need to go to JTR Forums and find the JTR Forums Individual Forums Section. It's toward the bottom of the list of sections. Then click on Rob Clack's name (11th line down) and then click on Murder Site Maps. Rob told me years ago that he had spent a lot of time and effort obtaining them from a records office. Now there's a top Ripperologist for you.
              Can you give a link to this Stephen? Or clarify the directions to it. I'm having trouble finding it.

Comment

Can you give a link to this Stephen? Or clarify the directions to it. I'm having trouble finding it.

More specifically here, David.

Comment

• This is a projection of the BRICK structures based on GOAD:

P.S that '1st' really looks like a '1st' now and I'd rather not put Prater's door there!
                  JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                  JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

• Thanks Jerry. Is it a private part of the forum? It's asking me to sign in but I'm not a member.

Comment

• Originally posted by richardh View Post
                      P.S that '1st' really looks like a '1st' now and I'd rather not put Prater's door there!
                      I don't quite follow what you mean by this Richard. Can you clarify?

(good job on the projection, btw)

Comment

• Ah yes. I logged out and did not see that sub-forum anymore. It must be set at private.

Comment

This is a projection of the BRICK structures based on GOAD:

Very clever Richard.

I'm not sure what you mean by that last point.
                          If you agree that it says "1st", then you are agreeing that there is an opening in that ground floor wall (ground = first).
                          Why wouldn't you accept it as Praters door? There is no other opening.
                          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Thanks Jerry. Is it a private part of the forum? It's asking me to sign in but I'm not a member.
                            There isn't anything there David concerning Dorset St. that you do not already have in the Online Gallery link.
                            It's the same map.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

This is a projection of the BRICK structures based on GOAD:

That's a good idea Richard.
                              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Well, If that is the position for the 2nd door (Prater's) then it opens up directly into the shed!

Does 1st mean ground then? (just to clarify).

Do you (good people of this forum) want me to put Prater's door there then?

Decisions, decisions

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                                Very clever Richard.

I'm not sure what you mean by that last point.
                                If you agree that it says "1st", then you are agreeing that there is an opening in that ground floor wall (ground = first).
                                Why wouldn't you accept it as Praters door? There is no other opening.
                                JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                                JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                                JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Working...
                                X