X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anna View Post
    Hi Sasha,
    Nice to have you amongst us!
    We have indeed discussed before the theory that Jack had an accomplace...
    Strides murder comes to mind here,as there were two on the scene,one in a pub doorway,when the word "Lipski" is shouted.I suppose it would make sense that he had a lookout,who could also say "he went thataway"to the arriving police,with their whistle blowing mayhem, if necessary,while he makes his exit in the opposite direction.But it also means that there is double the chance of making an error and also of capture.I see Jack as a bit of a perfectionist,as some of his timing leaves little room for error,and I think he needs to be totally in control of the situation.Having an accomplace would eliminate this comfort zone in his mind.
    As to the number of victims that he may or may not have achieved.Noting that Jack was a gameplayer,would he have allowed others to jump in and grab themselves a gamepiece?To me, he would have seen this as an interferance,and he wanted all the glory for himself.
    If any of the murders were not in his series, I think he would have been amused to have goaded the police on their failure to recognise that fact..he would have scored a point against them.
    As to the thought that none of them were in a series,and were just put together to make it look that way.We have always had a definite three on these threads,there is no room for doubt that there was at least a small series of events that were one man's work.
    The police may have been a bit incompetant,although with the limited amount of resources available to them at the time,I feel that is a little unfair.They were under a lot of pressure,which would have made them more aware of the danger of including non ripper murders along the way,they didn't want to inflame the mood of the area any more than what had been achieved already.

Thanks for the welcome, Anna. So far I have found people on this site to be very tolerant of my insubordinate ideas. I am also very interested in theories - particularly other than the canonical five and the one killer because that theory is already well publicised. As I have mentioned, I'm not against this theory per se, I simply see two victims as standing out as being more the work of one man (I'm thinking Liz Stride & Mary Kelly) than the others. One might of course argue that he simply had more time with these women to do what he wanted in general or, as I feel, these were more likely to be crimes of passion ie the victim was known to the killer. The savagery could point this way. It could also point to two different men killing Stride and Kelly (with the others either random killings or not). The other thing that strikes me is that women were not particularly valued at this time. At best they were chatels and at worse, these unfortunates were not valued at all. Some men at the time would have no remorse in killing these women than they would in killing a rodent or insect if it suited them. Particularly if the women were drunk, insulting or feisty in the way they conducted business.

Again thanks again for your kind welcome and I look forward to your thoughts on this and other topics.
    Sasha

Comment

Hello Sasha

Just a quick post because the idea of two killers interested me at one time, although I believe anyone who studies the Kelly murder will not find a rational answer to the crimes..

However the key points I remember for two killers are as follows (if I miss any please do add to the list):

1. Emma Smith. Is sometimes included as the first Ripper victim. She claimed she was attacked by a gang.

2. Martha Tabram. Seen in the company of two soldiers. May have been killed with two knives used.

3. Poly Nichols. Mrs Harriot Lilly, 7 bucks Row, 'hears moans (possibly Nichols) followed by whispered voices.

4. Chapman. Cant think of example?

5. Stride. Witness Schwartz see's Stride attacked by BS man, shout 'Lipski', is chased by pipeman. ossibly two killers.

6. Eddows. Cant think of example?

7. Kelly. There was reports of man standing watch (possibly Hutchinson) There was a call in parliament that an accumplice would receive special treatment if he came forward? Sorry my memory on exact details is poor.

But I believe that is roughly the case for two people committing the JtR murders.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
        Hello Sasha

Just a quick post because the idea of two killers interested me at one time, although I believe anyone who studies the Kelly murder will not find a rational answer to the crimes..

However the key points I remember for two killers are as follows (if I miss any please do add to the list):

1. Emma Smith. Is sometimes included as the first Ripper victim. She claimed she was attacked by a gang.

2. Martha Tabram. Seen in the company of two soldiers. May have been killed with two knives used.

3. Poly Nichols. Mrs Harriot Lilly, 7 bucks Row, 'hears moans (possibly Nichols) followed by whispered voices.

4. Chapman. Cant think of example?

5. Stride. Witness Schwartz see's Stride attacked by BS man, shout 'Lipski', is chased by pipeman. ossibly two killers.

6. Eddows. Cant think of example?

7. Kelly. There was reports of man standing watch (possibly Hutchinson) There was a call in parliament that an accumplice would receive special treatment if he came forward? Sorry my memory on exact details is poor.

But I believe that is roughly the case for two people committing the JtR murders.

Thanks Captain Jack. I'm now starting to regret starting this post. What I intended was to question the theory that one killer killed all of the canonical five rather than to raise the spectre of two people working in tandem to kill all of them. While I believe it's a possibility - and was certainly raised as the main theory in the Michael Caine TV series - with one acting as a lookout in case anyone was to disturb the killings (of William Gull) as well as procurer of the victims - I don't believe it (particularly since the first three killings were very quick (ie a lookout would not have been necessary in the first three killings). In view of this, would it be possible to restrict discussion to the possibility of more than one man independently involved in the killing of the canonical five?

Thanks
        Sasha

Comment

absolutely Sasha

There was a discussion on these boards about a series of murders in Mexico City where a series of killings were linked to a possible serial killer..however they proved to be committed by different people..

so it has been suggested that certain social conditions can give rise to multiple murders...serial killers.

Remember we know that Cream, Chapman, bury, and torso killer were all at work at the same time roughly as Jack.

I'm afraid my beleif is that, Tabram, Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddows, Kelly and possibly Mckenzie were all killed by a lone killer

Comment

I think there would've been more murders if they were perpetrated by different people. If it was done by 5 different killers, I find it unlikely that each would just kill one each, if they were copycat killers, why just five, and why did they all stop at the same time? Also, as brutal as the east end was at that time, I can't really imagine three different people living within a mile of each other who were capable of the Chapman, Eddowes and MJK murders - it would be like having Hannibal Lector, Freddie Krueger and Leatherface all living on the same street!

Just a point on Jack having an accomplice - do people assume he stayed out of sight all the time - I can't see the women going to secluded places like Mitre Square with more than one person.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate Jack View Post
              absolutely Sasha

There was a discussion on these boards about a series of murders in Mexico City where a series of killings were linked to a possible serial killer..however they proved to be committed by different people..

so it has been suggested that certain social conditions can give rise to multiple murders...serial killers.

Remember we know that Cream, Chapman, bury, and torso killer were all at work at the same time roughly as Jack.

I'm afraid my beleif is that, Tabram, Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddows, Kelly and possibly Mckenzie were all killed by a lone killer
              Thanks Captain Jack. I am glad that you are open to possibilities other than the canonical five. I'm still interested, however, in your views about there being a lone killer in the murders of Tabram, Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddows, Kelly and possibly Mckenzie. I think Patricia Cornwall had a similar list? Anyway, any views you wish to share would be appreciated. However, it's cool if you don't want to elaborate. Sometimes you just know something to be true in your gut and that's fine with me as well.

Thanks
              Sasha

PS Forgive my calling you Captain Jack. I know you call yourself Pirate Jack - so I'm thinkin' Johnny Depp as Captain Jack the pirate in Pirates of the Carribean. Could be completely off and - inappropriate - of course!

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                I think there would've been more murders if they were perpetrated by different people. If it was done by 5 different killers, I find it unlikely that each would just kill one each, if they were copycat killers, why just five, and why did they all stop at the same time? Also, as brutal as the east end was at that time, I can't really imagine three different people living within a mile of each other who were capable of the Chapman, Eddowes and MJK murders - it would be like having Hannibal Lector, Freddie Krueger and Leatherface all living on the same street!

Just a point on Jack having an accomplice - do people assume he stayed out of sight all the time - I can't see the women going to secluded places like Mitre Square with more than one person.
                Yeah, I agree. Some say that many more than five women were killed - in the East End and in other parts of England at the time. These unfortunates were easy prey for a society that held them in little or no esteem.

As to your second point. True but women would feel more comfortable if one of the killers was another woman. They might go with such a couple in spite of the potential danger. Also, these women were alcoholics - so their judgement may have been a little off. Just a thought!
                Sasha

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha View Post
                  Thanks Captain Jack. I am glad that you are open to possibilities other than the canonical five. I'm still interested, however, in your views about there being a lone killer in the murders of Tabram, Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddows, Kelly and possibly Mckenzie. I think Patricia Cornwall had a similar list? Anyway, any views you wish to share would be appreciated. However, it's cool if you don't want to elaborate. Sometimes you just know something to be true in your gut and that's fine with me as well.

Thanks
                  Sasha

PS Forgive my calling you Captain Jack. I know you call yourself Pirate Jack - so I'm thinkin' Johnny Depp as Captain Jack the pirate in Pirates of the Carribean. Could be completely off and - inappropriate - of course!
                  Many thanks Sasha..

After the great casebook crash I moved from the East end..well walthamstow to a life for Piracy on the River Medway...

Which is where i'm off now in me Kyake..

Always be open to any possibilities Ripper wise..I'm not intrenched in any theory..although I guess Kosminski is my favourite..

Nice to see you on board...

Yours Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by anna View Post
                    Hi Glenn,
                    With Stride,taking out the possiblilty of a domestic,as I do,because I think her partner would have had the easier opportunity to ask her to meet him at a secluded or private location rather than risk capture on a street outside a busy club.
                    Thinking along the lines that by the time Strides murder came along,the police already knew,because of the similarities of Annie and Polly's murder that they had a possible series occurring,surely they must have been cautious to not include anything into this unfolding series of events.With domestics and assaults,without the murders being considered,they could have gone on and on.There must have been something that pointed them towards being a group of five.
                    The police were by this time trying to come up with the answer,they wouldn't have wanted to have added to their problem without careful consideration.
                    Shame Stewart isn't on this thread,as I would have liked to have known his take on this point.
                    Hi anna,

No doubt the discovery of Eddowes body 45 minutes after the Stride murder the same night was reason enough for the police to link the murders to each other.
                    It would actually be more problematic for the police NOT to include Stride in the series, because they couldn't take the chance of dismissing a probable Ripper killing - the chase on the serial killer was by the time of the Double Event their highest priority.

As far as the Stride murder is concerned, I know very well Stewart's position on this since he has openly declared it in connection with lectures on the subject, although he always acknowledges the importance of keeping an open mind. But I will not put words in his mouth here.

All the best
                    Last edited by Glenn Lauritz Andersson; 06-15-2008, 05:27 PM.
                    The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                      I think the general idea among those who dispute the Canonical Five - inclusing myself - has been that Nichols, Chapman and Eddowes most likely were killed by the same hand since those murders have so many parameters in common.
                      Too many question marks remain, however, in the cases of Stride and Kelly, meaning they should be open to futher debate and shouldn't be 'canonized' uncritically. Those two murders as well as a few others could simply have been 'inspired' by the news of the Ripper killings. It wouldn't be the first time gruesome murders like that of Kelly have been perpetrated in a domestic context.
                      McKenzie was in my mind a copycat killed by a client. Nor do I believe Coles to be a Ripper victim.

We must also remember that there most likely WERE other serial killers or one off murderers at large while the Ripper operated, unless one is prepared to buy into the idea that the torso murders were perpetrated by the Ripper as well. Torso murders had occurred already in the 1870s.
                      Not to mention Neil Creams murder career just a couple of years after the Ripper and in the East End.

All the best
                      The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha View Post
                        Wasn't there some husband and wife team in England who lured girls and killed them? Also some Canadian couple - Karla something? Who knows why they did it. You put a couple of psychopaths together and you don't really need a motive that makes sense. In any case, I'm not particularly sold on the couple theory. I am more of the view that it was not the same killer for the canonical five OR that it was one killer but he killed four other women to cover the real intended victim (which I view as Mary Kelly).
                        Yes...In Britain we have Fred and Rose West. And also not married but acting as a couple we have Ian Brady and the ever beautiful/graceful/caring Myra Hindley!.

The couple in Canada are Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka who actually killed her own Sister!

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
                          I think the general idea among those who dispute the Canonical Five - inclusing myself - has been that Nichols, Chapman and Eddowes most likely were killed by the same hand since those murders have so many parameters in common.
                          Too many question marks remain, however, in the cases of Stride and Kelly, meaning they should be open to futher debate and shouldn't be 'canonized' uncritically.

All the best
                          I like your thinking Glenn. I certainly would place this theory as Option A in the list of plausible alternatives to the canonical 5 theory. The thing that bothers me most is that while we have a fair idea of what the victims looked like, we don't have a clear picture of "Jack". While of course one could attribute different accounts of him by witnesses as due to poor lighting, inebriation etc, the different accounts could be that witnesses were describing more than one man doing the killings - with the "confusion" making the identification of the killer so much more difficult!

Sasha

PS Apologies for the late response. I think I am on a different timezone than most of the bloggers here!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch Rowe View Post
                            Yes...In Britain we have Fred and Rose West. And also not married but acting as a couple we have Ian Brady and the ever beautiful/graceful/caring Myra Hindley!.

The couple in Canada are Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka who actually killed her own Sister!

That's them. Thanks Mitch. Not sure why we're all so fascinated with serial killers - 'specially Jack (if he is in fact a serial killer). I suspect in the latter case, it's because he was never caught. It's like the perfect crime. I suspect, however, that he would be caught these days. Not because police are smarter but because they have superior investigative powers and because of improved forensic techniques.

Sasha

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                              The theory that all the murders were unrelated and committed by different killers was put forward in:
                              Peter Turnbull, The Killer Who Never Was: A Re-appraisal of the Whitechapel Murders of 1888. Hull: Clark Lawrence, 1996. ISBN: 1-900540-00-2.

It isn't a particularly well-researched or well-written book; however it was published in such a small print run that, even though it's only twelve years old, available copies are now quite pricey.

You might want to try borrowing a copy through your local public library's interlibrary loan service.
                              Thanks, Graves Mo... If I hadn't been so tired the other night, I would've looked it up myself.

I'm sad to see how this topic has diverged, though. Sasha was fairly clear in her meaning, which is that there were different killers for different victims. And even after this is reclarified, people are still talking about a murder-tandem pair...

Let's get back on-topic, shall we?
                              Last edited by CraigInTwinCities; 06-16-2008, 08:46 AM.
                              All my blogs:
                              MessianicMusings.com, ScriptSuperhero.com, WonderfulPessimist.com

Currently, I favor ... no one. I'm not currently interested in who Jack was in name. My research focus is more comparative than identification-oriented.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigInTwinCities View Post
                                I'm sad to see how this topic has diverged, though. Sasha was fairly clear in her meaning, which is that there were different killers for different victims. And even after this is reclarified, people are still talking about a murder-tandem pair...

Let's get back on-topic, shall we?
                                Well.. I dont have much to say about that. It seems impossible to me. But for entertainment Ill postulate.

Annie Chapman and MJK are always together in my mind. Eddowes is connected to MJK by facial mutilations and the like. Stride is in because of the timing mostly.

So that only leaves Polly as a possible non JTR victim. And who would exclude her?

So the concept of more than one killer becomes ridiculus to me because the evidence I see pretty much bonds the C5 together.

Im pretty firm on that.. And Im not alone. MacNaghten never said more likely or I believe. He said 5 victims and five victims only. He seemed pretty sure of himself on that account.

Comment

Working...
                                X