"Official Jack The Ripper Shop"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Official Jack The Ripper Shop"

Hmmm...strolling down Toynbee Street this afternoon I noticed an 'Official Jack The Ripper Shop' being readied for opening soon, situated between the Duke of Wellington pub and the 'Jack The Clipper' barbers, but on the opposite side of the road. I live locally and guide around the area, so obviously I have an interest in the JTR story, but frankly I find the idea of this shop in rather poor taste. I well remember when the Ten Bells pub was called the Jack The Ripper back in the early 1980s and was very pleased when the name was changed back in 1988. Quite possible there might be something of a Twitter storm about this new shop.

Originally posted by Ade View Post
    Hmmm...strolling down Toynbee Street this afternoon I noticed an 'Official Jack The Ripper Shop' being readied for opening soon, situated between the Duke of Wellington pub and the 'Jack The Clipper' barbers, but on the opposite side of the road. I live locally and guide around the area, so obviously I have an interest in the JTR story, but frankly I find the idea of this shop in rather poor taste. I well remember when the Ten Bells pub was called the Jack The Ripper back in the early 1980s and was very pleased when the name was changed back in 1988. Quite possible there might be something of a Twitter storm about this new shop.
    Surely not much different than tour guides and authors depending on just what they sell. It could be tasteful or tacky.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Official?
      One wonders who they are paying the royalties to?

Regards, Jon S.

Comment

G'day Jon

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        Official?
        One wonders who they are paying the royalties to?

Jack of course!
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Jack of course!
          Which one?
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
            Which one?
            Every suspect ever named perhaps.
            G U T

Comment

What the heck are they selling? T-shirts with murder dates like a band's tour on the back? Accompanied by victim photos? Yikes.

But morbidly, let's go with the idea. I'd also suggest a t-shirt with the faces of the major suspects, a t-shirt with various pubs associated with the crimes, "Team Abberline" t-shirts and baseball caps, an "Astrakhan Man" cologne, and a massive set of trading cards for all of the suspects, victims, witnesses, and police officials. I want the Charles Cross "rookie" card in which he is a witness, not to be confused with the Charles Lechmere suspect card later in the set!

Comment

I could see it being tastefully done, if they sold primarily books and Victoriana.
                - Ginger

Comment

G'day Ginger

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                  I could see it being tastefully done, if they sold primarily books and Victoriana.

Just what I was thinking of when I said it could end up tasteful or tacky.
                  G U T

Comment

Other items from $$$ to $:

Maybrick's Signature Watch Collection
                    Chapman's Patent Medications
                    Barnett's Ginger Beer
                    Tumblety's Mason Jars
                    "Yours Truly" stationary and red pen set
                    Ripper Chalk

Feel free to add to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post

Barnett's Ginger Beer
                      Tumblety's Mason Jars
                      Ripper Chalk

Steak and KIDNEY pudding.
                      G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Barnaby View Post

Barnett's Ginger Beer
                        Tumblety's Mason Jars
                        Ripper Chalk

Lucullan Lipski's Cachous Assortment (original flavour)
                        Packer's Grape Juice (available in black and white)
                        Red Herrings (no refund)
                        Guide To Dangerous London Streets, by Carman Lech (paperback)
                        Arnold & Warren Graffiti Removal Kit (as seen on TV)
                        Bobby Anderson Doll (it moves! it dances! it spits out definitely ascertained facts!)
                        Last edited by bolo; 07-12-2014, 02:01 AM.
                        ~ All perils, specially malignant, are recurrent - Thomas De Quincey ~

Comment

IUDs.
                          G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                            Steak and KIDNEY pudding.
                            Whenever I'm in Whitechapel, I traditionally treat myself to steak and kidney pie and chips at the wonderful Happy Days restaurant in Goulston St. Whilst I was there last November (during Ripperconf), some lively people were dining the next table, engaging the restaurant owner in conversation. During that conversation, one of the diners suggested turning at least part of the restaurant into some sort of Ripper Museum. Don't know if anything will come of it but, if it does, you heard it from me first!
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Jack the Ripper fancy dress outfits in two styles:

1. Back top hat, silk lined cape and medical bag. (Sorry sold out)

2. Dark felt hat, fur trimmed coat and novelty watch chain (50% off to clear)

MrB

Comment

Working...
                              X