Knife Found at Simpson Estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife Found at Simpson Estate

Los Angeles police announced that a knife was allegedly found on O.J. Simpson’s former estate in Brentwood, stirring memories of the stabbings of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ron Goldman outside her apartment in 1994.

Lots of problems with this as evidence but still quite interesting.

Biggest problem is "Double Jeopardy"
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I bet it's fake. I bet the guy had a knife he used to tell people was the murder knife, someone ratted on him, and he's turned it in hoping he won't have to admit to lying about it all these years.
      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Funny how this knife has turned up after being in someone's possession all these years just as the TV series about the OJ case is screening. (It's a good series, by the way. I'm enjoying it!)

Comment

The timing is quite remarkable, yes.
          - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
            The timing is quite remarkable, yes.
            I don't trust it much - the lengthiness of it's hidden existence makes one suspicious. But as for "double jeopardy" it would depend on what can be said of it's original discovery and the police detective's holding onto it. Suppose it turned out he could prove Johnny Cochrane bribed him not to say anything about the knife? It might actually put the original verdict into jeopardy, as court's do reconsider the "double jeopardy" standard if there were such evidence of willful evidence tampering by either side (usually the prosecution, it is true, but it could be the defense). The so-called "playing field" would be shown not to be fair.

If it were proven that such was the case here, the verdict might be set aside, and O.J. would have to undergo a new trial - without the idiot group of the District Attorney's office prosecuting, nor with his half dead (such as Cochrane) "dream team", plus with a jail record hanging onto him from Nevada. It is most likely not going to prove to be this, no matter what wish fulfillment we might want, but if it were, boy would O.J. have a nightmarish future to consider facing in California's prison system.

Jeff

Comment

In the unlikely case this is the murder weapon and it can be linked to OJ, could he be tried in federal court for civil rights violations? It's a stretch, admittedly.

Comment

Authorities are going to test the knife, but experts seem doubtful any DNA would be useful after all this time.

Story is that a construction worker found it (possibly buried) in the late 1990s when the Brentwood House was torn down. He later gave it to "a former police officer" who has kept it all this time and is now bringing it forward.

They're asking the original finder of the knife to contact them and confirm the policeman's story.

Long shot, in my opinion...
                Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                ---------------
                Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                ---------------

Comment

Working...
                X