No announcement yet.

Vote the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recognize the name of Robert Smith who's the owner of the Diary. But who's Tim Martin-Wright? Is he one of the Battlecrease electricians?

Does the Old Hoax theory even need the Diary to have come out of Battlecrease during renovations?

Comment

Originally posted by MayBea View Post
      I recognize the name of Robert Smith who's the owner of the Diary. But who's Tim Martin-Wright? Is he one of the Battlecrease electricians?

Does the Old Hoax theory even need the Diary to have come out of Battlecrease during renovations?
      Google "Timothy Martin Wright Liverpool", then open the Google Book site "The Diary Of Jack The Ripper" and all will be revealed.

Graham
      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I honestly believe the diary was removed from battlecrease by workmen and then ended up in Mr Barrett s hands.When you do a timeline of events the only connection Mr Barrett has with battlecrease is by drinking in the saddlers pub with the workmen from battlecrease.
        Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Google "Timothy Martin Wright Liverpool", then open the Google Book site "The Diary Of Jack The Ripper" and all will be revealed.
          Thanks, Graham, but Shirley Harrison's book presently has no preview on Google Books, not even a snippet.

Martin-Wright comes up as an importer living on Aigburth so I'm assuming he's the owner or former owner of Battlecrease during the renovations. What could he say other than there were workers in the house pulling out walls and pulling up boards?

Up to now, we only have proof, by way of the letter by Florence's mother, that items were stolen from the Maybrick home during the Trial.

Comment

Tim Martin-Wright lived in Aigburth, but not in Battlecrease.
            Paul Dodd's family has owned Battlecrease since the
            early 1940s.

Mr Martin-Wright was the owner of a home security
            and electrical service. One of his employees told
            Robert Smith and his lawyer that in the fall of '91
            a customer told the employee about his colleague,
            an electrician who while working at Battlecrease,
            found a biscuit tin containing a leather bound diary
            and a gold ring under the floorboards.

The employee suggested to the customer that he show
            the diary to Mr Martin-Wright as he was a collector
            of antique books and a price of £25 was mentioned.
            But the customer did not have possession of the diary
            and wasn't the electrician who had worked at Battlecrease.
            Mr Martin-Wright confirmed the date of late fall 1991
            for these events as he had opened his shop in October
            of that year and it was a month or two after the opening.

The employee later heard that the diary had been sold in
            a pub in Anfield.

Shirley Harrison spoke to the customer who referred her
            to another colleague of the electrician who had been at
            Battlecrease the day something was found under the floor.
            He said there was something found, but according to a
            memo book he kept, his crew worked in Battlecrease in
            June of 1992, too late to have been the diary. Paul Dodd
            confirmed that storage heaters had been installed in Maybrick's
            bedroom in late summer of 1991, but he had done all the
            prep work.

The 2010 Kindle edition, "The Diary of Jack the Ripper:
            The Chilling Confessions of James Maybrick" is available
            at Amazon for $4.99.
            Last edited by Livia; 03-17-2014, 09:20 PM. Reason: corrected price

Comment

Thanks, Graham, but Shirley Harrison's book presently has no preview on Google Books, not even a snippet.

Martin-Wright comes up as an importer living on Aigburth so I'm assuming he's the owner or former owner of Battlecrease during the renovations. What could he say other than there were workers in the house pulling out walls and pulling up boards?

Up to now, we only have proof, by way of the letter by Florence's mother, that items were stolen from the Maybrick home during the Trial.
              Hi MB,

Strange, but I was taken direct to the relevant pages of Shirley's book, outlining in detail the information Livia posted. Odd.

Graham
              We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

What a strange question, MayBea.

What does 'need' have to do with establishing where the diary really came from and where it didn't? It is what it is, and it was where it was. A theory can't change that and shouldn't want or need to.

Of course, the modern hoax conspiracy theory needs Keith's Battlecrease evidence like a hole in the head.

Love,

Caz
                X
                "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                  Of course, the modern hoax conspiracy theory needs Keith's Battlecrease evidence like a hole in the head.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  Can I see this evidence? I can't find this chap, 'Keith'

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                    ...Of course, the modern hoax conspiracy theory needs Keith's Battlecrease evidence like a hole in the head.
                    Of course, if you're looking for a forger who knows about ion migration and has a good recipe for baking diaries, not to mention a good ink recipe, look no further than an electrician with a tin of biscuits!

Comment

In all probability the diary came out of battlecrease shortly before Mr Barrett launched it onto the unsuspecting public.In what form the diary was we do not know and when the diary was put into battlecrease we do not know.The problem we now have is because of the police investigations the people who can tell us what happend won't talk for obvious reasons.
                      Three things in life that don't stay hidden for to long ones the sun ones the moon and the other is the truth

Comment

G'day Pinkmoon

They could talk their heads off if the diary was genuine and they were telling the truth.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                          They could talk their heads off if the diary was genuine and they were telling the truth.
                          Hi gut,if the diary was removed from battlecrease without the owner of battlecreases permission than in the eyes of the law it is stolen as simple as that.

Comment

G'day Pinkmoon

I was clearly thinking of a different group of people than you.

In particular I was thinking of the family, sorry for the confusion.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              I was clearly thinking of a different group of people than you.

In particular I was thinking of the family, sorry for the confusion.
                              Hi gut,if Mr Barrett stole it from someone who had stolen it wouldn't that explain all the lies.

Comment

Ay, Ay watch it!

I can't get excited about the diary, but I've a hunch, (nothing more), it may be an older forgery than many people think, and as such, it would be great if it came out of Battlecrease...and yet the owner is adamant that HE had the floorboards up before the electricians came, and there was nothing there then...he's a chap who's already co-operated well beyond reasonable bounds and has no apparent reason to lie or obfuscate...so I'm afraid it becomes increasingly unlikely...

I suppose it remains possible the book could've been tucked away behind some obscure piece of panelling or something, or could have come out of the house before the current owner bought it...but it does seem, (to me at least), rather less likely as time goes by...

Shame...I rather like the idea of a slightly dodgy scouser buying it in a pub off another slightly dodgy scouser...having known a few, (sorry Chris George - present company excepted), it's so archetypically satisfying!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X