No announcement yet.

Vote the Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We'll get there eventually Graham, I just hope I live long enough to see all the outraged reactions to the Battlecrease evidence.

It seems you were posting your reply to me as I was editing my post and adding to it.

Love,

Caz
    X
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• There's hope for us yet, Caz

They All Love Jack
      by Bruce Robinson
      0.0 of 5 stars 0.00 · rating details · 0 ratings · 1 review
      The iconoclastic writer and director of the revered classic Withnail & I—“The funniest British film of all time” (Esquire)—returns to London in a decade-long examination of the most provocative murder investigation in British history, and finally solves the identity of the killer known as “Jack the Ripper”

It was a £10 bet that led Bruce Robinson to ten years of research. Robinson, the cult writer and filmmaker who last directed Johnny Depp in The Rum Diary, was researching an unsolved Victorian murder for a film project when he met an old friend who had become a Ripperologist. “Y’know,” the guy said, “There’s one case that will never, ever be solved.” And that’s all the motivation Robinson needed.

11 years later, a barn on Robinson’s property is filled to bursting with the artifacts of his research, and the makings of an epic work of nonfiction that identifies the most notorious criminal of the Victorian age. In a literary high-wire act reminiscent of both Hunter S. Thompson and Errol Morris, Bruce Robinson offers a radical reinterpretation of Jack the Ripper, contending that he was not the madman of common legend, but the vile manifestation of the Victorian Age’s moral bankruptcy.

Supported by primary sources and illustrated with 75 to 100 black and white photographs, this breathtaking work of cultural history dismisses the theories of previous “Ripperologists.” As Robinson persuasively makes clear with his unique brilliance, The Ripper was far from a poor resident of Whitechapel . . . his way was the way of life.

Jan 2015 - title changed from 'The Name of the Ripper' to 'They All Love Jack'. (less)

Hardcover, 464 pages

Expected publication: September 8th 2015 by Harper (first published May 21st 2015)

ISBN
      006229637X (ISBN13: 9780062296375)

It's up on Amazon too, but can't be purchased until the release date:

They All Love Jack: Busting the Ripper [Kindle Edition]
      Bruce Robinson (Author)
      Print List Price: $29.99
      Kindle Price: $16.99
      You Save: $13.00 (43%)
      Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
      Last edited by Livia; 02-09-2015, 09:35 AM. Reason: additional information

Comment

• I must confess i have not viewed the diary.
        However i wonder if the diary is written over a long period of time i would be very suspicious if the same writing implement was used in every entry.

Comment

• The Diary is supposed to have been written over a period of about a year.

The writing is consistent with someone writing with a ink well and a nib. That would indicate consistent use of the same or similar writing implement.

http://www.casebook.org/dissertation...l?printer=true

Comment

• Originally posted by paul g View Post
            I must confess i have not viewed the diary.
            However i wonder if the diary is written over a long period of time i would be very suspicious if the same writing implement was used in every entry.
            Why?

People didn't exactly have a lot of pens, even today I know people who use the same pen all the time.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• I guess Paul meant a Diary written over decades.

Except for a couple of entries in blue, I basically used the same black pen for almost a year in my diary.

Nibs obviously have an unlimited supply of ink from wells so aren't like today's disposable pens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Livia View Post
                They All Love Jack
                by Bruce Robinson
                0.0 of 5 stars 0.00 · rating details · 0 ratings · 1 review
                The iconoclastic writer and director of the revered classic Withnail & I—“The funniest British film of all time” (Esquire)—returns to London in a decade-long examination of the most provocative murder investigation in British history, and finally solves the identity of the killer known as “Jack the Ripper”

It was a £10 bet that led Bruce Robinson to ten years of research. Robinson, the cult writer and filmmaker who last directed Johnny Depp in The Rum Diary, was researching an unsolved Victorian murder for a film project when he met an old friend who had become a Ripperologist. “Y’know,” the guy said, “There’s one case that will never, ever be solved.” And that’s all the motivation Robinson needed.

11 years later, a barn on Robinson’s property is filled to bursting with the artifacts of his research, and the makings of an epic work of nonfiction that identifies the most notorious criminal of the Victorian age. In a literary high-wire act reminiscent of both Hunter S. Thompson and Errol Morris, Bruce Robinson offers a radical reinterpretation of Jack the Ripper, contending that he was not the madman of common legend, but the vile manifestation of the Victorian Age’s moral bankruptcy.

Supported by primary sources and illustrated with 75 to 100 black and white photographs, this breathtaking work of cultural history dismisses the theories of previous “Ripperologists.” As Robinson persuasively makes clear with his unique brilliance, The Ripper was far from a poor resident of Whitechapel . . . his way was the way of life.

Jan 2015 - title changed from 'The Name of the Ripper' to 'They All Love Jack'. (less)

Hardcover, 464 pages

Expected publication: September 8th 2015 by Harper (first published May 21st 2015)

ISBN
                006229637X (ISBN13: 9780062296375)

It's up on Amazon too, but can't be purchased until the release date:

They All Love Jack: Busting the Ripper [Kindle Edition]
                Bruce Robinson (Author)
                Print List Price: $29.99
                Kindle Price: $16.99
                You Save: $13.00 (43%)
                Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
                Does this imply from the title, that Mr Robinson is putting Michael Maybrick in Jack the Ripper's shoes? ;-)
                ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

• Originally posted by MayBea View Post
                  I guess Paul meant a Diary written over decades.

Except for a couple of entries in blue, I basically used the same black pen for almost a year in my diary.

Nibs obviously have an unlimited supply of ink from wells so aren't like today's disposable pens.
                  I inherited a lot of old family documents. The greater part of them are actually written in pencil - not just black-lead, either, but some in heavy purple pencil. Only a few documents are written in ink. My mother (born 1911, no longer with us) did most of her writing in pencil - as far as I can recall she never owned a fountain-pen, and I don't recall an ink-well in our house. She hated ball-points, and I tend to agree. My dad used a fountain-pen on the rare occasions he wrote anything. To this day I use a pencil for making notes.

Not that it matters.

Graham
                  We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    I inherited a lot of old family documents. The greater part of them are actually written in pencil - not just black-lead, either, but some in heavy purple pencil. Only a few documents are written in ink. My mother (born 1911, no longer with us) did most of her writing in pencil - as far as I can recall she never owned a fountain-pen, and I don't recall an ink-well in our house. She hated ball-points, and I tend to agree. My dad used a fountain-pen on the rare occasions he wrote anything. To this day I use a pencil for making notes.

Not that it matters.

Graham
                    Fountain pens weren't cheap either, so not everyone had them.
                    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Hello Spider,

From interviews I've read over the years
                      and judging from the title which as you
                      know is based on one of Michael Maybrick's
                      songs (although the lyrics were written by
                      Fred Weatherly), yes, Michael Maybrick is
                      his suspect.

Liv

Comment

• Originally posted by Livia View Post
                        Hello Spider,

From interviews I've read over the years
                        and judging from the title which as you
                        know is based on one of Michael Maybrick's
                        songs (although the lyrics were written by
                        Fred Weatherly), yes, Michael Maybrick is
                        his suspect.

Liv

That should make for an interesting book, as the only link to Michael is via the much debated Diary. The take must be that Michael created the diary and was going to frame his brother if the wheels came off?

Regards

Comment

• I think many people in the wake of Florie's trial and conviction felt that Michael Maybrick had much to answer for.

Imagine the humiliation he'd have suffered, as the brother of the brutish "Sir Jim", if someone had come across the diary while he was still alive and had had it published - even as a likely spoof? If it was written as a sly dig at someone's expense, it could have been at the lofty Michael's.

Thinking about the content, I can't see what on earth Michael would have had to gain from creating it himself and planting it in Battlecrease.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          Last edited by caz; 02-17-2015, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spider View Post
                            Does this imply from the title, that Mr Robinson is putting Michael Maybrick in Jack the Ripper's shoes? ;-)
                            Put him in one of Withnail's shoes and one of Jack's and I'll definitely buy it.

I was not codding dear old Boss. We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here, and we want them now!

From hell - Sor, I feel like a pig shat in my head.

I must have some booze. I demand to have some booze! It gives me real fits.

We've gone on holiday by mistake. Keep this letter back.

Honestly, I've only had a few ales. Catch me when you can.

Love,

Caz
                            X

Comment

• Heaven forbid if it's on par with the drudgery of Withnail.

Regards

Comment

• Maybe Robinson will delve into the Child of Mary and James scenario, and even do a DNA test with a Maybrick descendant. I know the Mary Jane Wilson/Arthur John Sullivan side have previously committed to a test. Short of exhuming MJK, this presents an obvious alternative.

Comment

Working...
                                X