whereabouts now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whereabouts now?

In a ripper documentary which I was viewing last evening (one of the 'From Hell' DVD bonus features), one of the narrators claimed that the 'From Hell' letter is on display in the British Museum ( or possibly so in 2001.)
    I was at the British Museum in February, and although my visit there was very short, I will be most upset if I missed seeing this letter. What is the concensus? Thanks...

Hi Tenth Bell!

I will quote Don Rumbelow on this one:

"The photograph of Miller's Court is now a well-known one, but it was only by chance that I found it and published it in Police Journal in 1969. In 1967 the City Police photographic department were clearing out a lot of old negatives, including some glass ones, and by chance I happened to spot them. Two were of immediate interest. One was of some Metropolitan policemen, taken about 1870, and the other - which I instantly recognized - was of Miller's Court, of which no photograph was known to exist. When I tried to trace their source, I was told that they had come from a large album of photographs which disappeared when the force museum was broken up in 1959 and lost at the same time as the 'From Hell' letter, which vanished with it. I don't believe that they have been lost forever. But their present whereabouts is still a mystery."

So no, not even the British Museum can produce that letter - though it would be nice if they did ...

The best,
    Fisherman

Comment

Thats why we all live in hope that the photo's and the letter are still out there and will turn up eventually.....

Comment

This is slightly off-topic, but it's quite close, so apologies if it's in the wrong place.

I had a school tour the other day - part of their JTR history work involves a tour and visit to the National Archives, where they're sometimes allowed to view some of the original JTR documents.

Anyway, I mentioned the Lusk letter being missing and the teacher told me that the NA have told her that the Lusk kidney had been kept and was only 'disposed of' about 20 years ago.

This was news to me, but has anybody else heard this story?

JB

P.S. I know of no reason to beileve it's true, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
          Anyway, I mentioned the Lusk letter being missing and the teacher told me that the NA have told her that the Lusk kidney had been kept and was only 'disposed of' about 20 years ago.
          Please, someone, tell me it ain't so!!!

Such a possibility is almost too ghastly to bear thinking about.

Oy. Apoplectic regards, Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
            Please, someone, tell me it ain't so!!!
            My thoughts exactly. Somebody somewhere is dishing out some rather iffy info if you ask me!

Comment

Hi John- This kidney lark is seriously 'iffy- not to say niffy I reckon- Our school takes Yr 9 and 10's on Ripper related visits ( I always refuse to be invited and go along- a) I couldn't keep quiet and b) There's no pub stops!!!)...... and they were told the self same thing last year by a guide!!!. (NOT Frip!!)
              Hmmmmmmmm highly unlikely I reckon and the stuff of the Daily Mail I say... or the News of the Screws!!!.... Max C would be there in a trice!!!!" Shock 'Orror Kidney 'Orror adressed to Prince Albert Victor- Victoria denies all- We talk to a Mr George Lusk"- Hold the Front Page!!!
              Last edited by Suzi; 06-07-2009, 04:56 PM.
              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

I'd always understood that the kidney was destroyed in the late Fifties early sixties. However I can not remember my source. Just another somewhere in the back of my head recollections.

Pirate

Comment

Amazing, first, that they would have kept it; second, that they destroyed 90 years later.
                  People are Amazing!
                  Last edited by bkohatl; 07-23-2009, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Dont be so surprised that things get left lying around for decades after they have served their purpose investigation and trial wise. I dont believe there is a fixed mandate for disposal of the evidence unless the case is solved and tried...if it is a unsolved or cold case, the evidence should be left in storage.

But what was left of Kennedy's brain is still around somewhere I believe, 46 years later, and in the Truscott review of conviction evidence recently, samples were still around,...but no longer useful forensically...and thats 56 years after the fact.

Best regards all.

Comment

As a new comer to this site (and wonderful it is) i was fortunate 15 years ago to get a trip to Scotland Yards black museum which is well known to house one of the ripper letters, in my youth and ignorance although interested i read the letter(not easy) and forgot all about it.

I had always thought that this was the "from hell" letter but from previous comments i could be mistaken.

So seeing as i am one of the privileged few to actually see a ripper letter "live" i'd welcome any clarification on which letter it actually was that i viewed.

Oh i wish i'd paid more attention at the time

Comment

Working...
                      X