Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was McCarthy a dubious character?

Dear All,
    I apologise if this has already been raised on a previous thread, but does anyone know John McCarthy's age in 1888?

I found a John McCarthy appeared in court in November 1888 on charges of assaulting & robbing a man he accused of being Jack the Ripper:

JOHN McCARTHY (28) , Robbery with violence, with four others unknown, on Michael Hertzberg, and stealing 5s.

Just wondering if it's MJK's landlord and what reflection this would have on his character.
    Amanda

John McCarthy who owned the Millers Court premises was in his late 30s at the time of the murder.

That certainly sounds as though it may have an interesting story behind it.

Comment

Hi Amanda,

1848: John McCarthy born Dieppe, France

1934: John McCarthy died Clapham, south London, 16th June, leaving an estate valued at £15,670.

Regards,

Simon
      Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Pity....

Thanks Simon,

Thought it might be too good to be true, obviously a common name.

However, I have found another John McCarthy of the right age who was assaulted by a Jewish man in 1881. The man was found to be insane & therefore could not stand trial. He was sent to a workhouse.

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post
          Thanks Simon,

Thought it might be too good to be true, obviously a common name.

However, I have found another John McCarthy of the right age who was assaulted by a Jewish man in 1881. The man was found to be insane & therefore could not stand trial. He was sent to a workhouse.

Amanda
          John McCarthy wasn't [indeed isn't] a terribly uncommon name though.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Working...
          X