Tolkien Geeks: Geek Out Here. :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all

Yup, Swamp Thing, the plant that thinks it's a man, plus the creepy Brujera, and the girl turning into a bird, and of course, the Sunderland incident.
    Maybe your comic collection made it to merry olde England Ausgirl. What happened was I bought a pile of comics from a jumble sale, all Alan Moore's Swamp Thing! for a quid!

Haven't seen Constantine, but I'll put it on the list of box sets to look out for, it's a waste of time trying to watch anything on British tv, the ad breaks are so long you can genuinely forget what happened.

Don't like Zombies? best keep away from West Bromwich then, ho,ho, little in joke there.

All the best.

Comment

I think that Terry Pratchett's Discworld series both a delight and an education when it comes to fantasy novels.

I love the Belagariad--can happily reread it at anytime.
      “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

I have not read Discworld, yet! Thanks for reminding me, its been on my list forever.

Comment

I am enjoying the new TV show called Constantine, which takes some new views on supernatural Good vs. Evil conflict. I am not familiar with the comics or graphic novels, but will research them. I remember seeing part of a rather bad movie on TV some time ago, and switching it off.

If you like horror fantasy, mixed liberally with history and literature, keep an eye out for Sleepy Hollow, in which Ichabod Crane (wonderfully realized by actor Tom Mison), a Continental soldier from the Revolutionary War, awakens in modern-day Sleepy Hollow, only to discover his nemesis, the Headless Horseman, is also here, presaging far greater evil to come. Don't want to spoil it for you, but take my word for it-- it is superbly written and performed, and has a rich storyline that is fascinating. The first season is on DVD, the second is airing now.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Sleepy Hollow is fun........

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
              I am enjoying the new TV show called Constantine, which takes some new views on supernatural Good vs. Evil conflict. I am not familiar with the comics or graphic novels, but will research them. I remember seeing part of a rather bad movie on TV some time ago, and switching it off.
              That would be the Keanu Reeves atrocity. At least he wasn't trying on a British accent this time! Loved him as a very po-faced Neo in The Matrix, oddly enough... but I can't stand him in anything else.

The TV series gets nothing but rave reviews around here - my housemate is a long time fan of the character, and regularly thanks all the saints that Matt Ryan got the role. I concur! Love the working class, slightly grubby charm.

Comment

Hi all

I'll stick up a bit for Keanu, he was also good in Johnny Mnemonic, not much good in most everything else, it's that blank 'what's my next line?' look of his.
                I believe Benedict Cucumberpatch is up for Doctor Strange, interesting, can't remember too much of the doc's stuff, but BC's a great actor so fingers crossed.with the exception of the first Iron Man, none of the Marvel films have been all that great.
                DC, other than Batman haven't been much good either, the Man of Steel was meh, and the less said about the Greens, Hornet and Lantern, the better.
                all the best.

Comment

Does anyone believe in the possibility of the Tolkien estate allowing authors to create fiction set in Middle earth,something in the fashion of George Lucas's Starwars extended universe? If there are any EU readers out there, i know the books are a mixed bag; They range from good, to pretty dreadful. I would like to see many events mentioned by Tolkien developed by decent author's.
                  Here are a few ideas for possible novels: Balin and the occupation of Moria, Striders pre TLOTR story, Saruman's story ( between the events of the hobbit and TLOTR ), or The search for Gollum. Lots of possibilities here.
                  SCORPIO

Comment

Working...
                  X