Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what Mark King says:

The calendar records for the Central Criminal Court have an entry for Jacob Levy having been arrested on 10 March 1886 for the theft of a weight of meat from his master Hyman Sampson, who formerly had a butcher's business at 58 Goulston Street, and he was found guilty of the charge on 6 April 1886 and sentenced to twelve months at Holloway Prison.

Wrong!

Levy was convicted of receiving (buying) meat stolen by Moss Woolf and Morriss Phillips from their employer.

Another example of the risks of treating Casebook articles as holy writ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
      If Levy was the killer and disposed of the rag, why did he not do so before he reached this home? Why pass his home and drop it in Goulston Street and then return back to Middlesex Street?
      Just on that point, which I too thought might be significant, it's interesting that Levy wouldn't have overshot his home by much; it's almost literally just around the corner. In the image below, the "Happy Days" restaurant is where the apron was deposited, and "Artisan House" is 36 Middlesex Street, Levy's home:
      Attached Files
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        "Happy Days" restaurant is where the apron was deposited, and "Artisan House" is 36 Middlesex Street, Levy's home:
        I should point out that the lower route (blue dots) suggested by Google Maps wasn't there in 1888, but the upper route (grey line) was.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Just on that point, which I too thought might be significant, it's interesting that Levy wouldn't have overshot his home by much; it's almost literally just around the corner. In the image below, the "Happy Days" restaurant is where the apron was deposited, and "Artisan House" is 36 Middlesex Street, Levy's home:
          Gareth,

You have Levy living on the east side of Middlesex Street. Is that right?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            Gareth,

You have Levy living on the east side of Middlesex Street. Is that right?
            Yes. That's where the present day 36 Middlesex Street is, according to Google Maps - and Street View, for that matter.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Yes. That's where the present day 36 Middlesex Street is, according to Google Maps - and Street View, for that matter.
              I believe you are right, Gareth. Which means the King article is wrong. It tells us Levy was nestled in the City.

Comment

• Are we sure Levy was living at 36 MS at the time?

Comment

• I think that's the latest known address for him before 1888, but I'll be happy to be corrected on this.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

I believe you are right, Gareth. Which means the King article is wrong. It tells us Levy was nestled in the City.
                    Indeed, it appears so. Incidentally, if you check out Google Street View, it seems that the original building still stands.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

• [QUOTE=Sam Flynn;466167]It is not "proven" that Cross was there at the exact time of a slaying.

If it was, we would not be here, Gareth. But the time is totally consistent with him being the killer.

Why no murders north, east or south of Bethnal Green? Or IN Bethnal Green, for that matter? Were there no vagrants or unfortunates elsewhere?

Because his working trek took him southwest. Surely you have heard that? Working from the idea that every serial killers vicim tally will be spread evenly around his home is bonkers. Surely you have heard that too?

When considering any proposed commuting killer, why were there no Ripper murders outside the very narrow confines of "Whitechapel", with none of the murders more than a short, brisk walk from their geographical centre point?

Because the paths a killer uses is where he will kill, regardless if these are short, long, centre or spread.
                      What exact problem is it you are having with Lechmere, geographically?

Comment

Ah, but why did he do most of his killing of semi-vagrant doss-house residents in an area where there was the greatest concentration of such? He must have lived there himself - no?��

Let’s imagine our killer had a thing against fishmongers and killed five of them in the early hours in the streets around Billingsgate. Would it be safe to assume he lived in Lower Thames Street?
                        Pertinent enough questions! Let's see how they are answered by others. How I answer them, you already know.

Comment

Now try the same trick for Chapman, Stride, Eddowes and Kelly. Or Smith, Tabram, Kenzie, and Coles, if you like.
                          I did. A very long time ago. And I already said that Levy was closer generally speaking. And if we measure from the homes of the two suspects.

If we instead measure the distance from Lechmere´s working trek to these sites, accepting that he walked no further north than Hanbury Street and no further south than Old Montague, another picture emerges. In that case, he is never more than three minutes walk away - and he may well have been three seconds away only. How does Levy match that?

Comment

Why leave out the Pinchin Street victim or Mylett?

It would be interesting to see what effect their inclusion had on the ‘hot zone’.
                            I think you know why, Gary.

Comment

• Sam Flynn: It's of course possible that he swanned in from outside..

It IS? WOW!!!

...but, pragmatically, a locally-based killer is by far the more likely.

"By far"? Just how do you quantify that? How is somebody living in an area more likely to be the killer than somebody being in place in that area? Isn't that the exact same thing - the presence in the area is what speaks for potential guilt?

If I got that wrong, how is living in the area so much more murderous the. just BEING PRESENT in the area? Just how does that work? And to such a significant effect so as to render Levy by far more likely a killer than Lechmere, geographically speaking?

Comment

I think that's the latest known address for him before 1888, but I'll be happy to be corrected on this.
                                I don’t know the answer myself.

The article says:

36, Middlesex Street where Kelly's London Business Directory for 1888 lists Jacob Levy, his wife Sarah, and numerous children as residing, with Jacob once again employed as a butcher.

Did Kelly’s provide information on where families lived?

I know it’s a small error, as was the comment that Hutch saw A-man again in Middlesex street.

What was left out from the Old Bailey transcript is Sampson’s statement: ‘the Jewish authorities will not give a man a licence unless he has an excellent character’ I’m not sure if he was talking just about himself. But it was certainly said that Levy received a good character.

Comment

Working...
                                X