X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see this pic on a twitter feed under the heading of Dorset Street 1895

It's quite similar to one of the Dorset street sketches

I don't think I've seen the pic on these boards (I didn't wanna check all 300 pages again ) I was wondering if it was actually Dorset street.
    Apologies if this was the wrong thread to ask

Comment

• Originally posted by Yabs View Post
      I see this pic on a twitter feed under the heading of Dorset Street 1895

It's quite similar to one of the Dorset street sketches

I don't think I've seen the pic on these boards (I didn't wanna check all 300 pages again ) I was wondering if it was actually Dorset street.
      Apologies if this was the wrong thread to ask
      Well the photo and sketch sure look to be the same location.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Cracking find, Yabs!
        I think it could definitely be Dorset Street, although the arch isn't the entrance to Miller's Court (I think that's just to the left of the horse and cart). It seems to be taken from the western end, and judging by the building with the angled corner, it can only be the entrance to Little Paternoster Row, and that must be the other McCarthy's shop (no relation).

Comment

• The tree at the end of the street seems to match up with the sketch, as well.

Comment

• Looks good to me. Nice find, Yabs.

Comment

• I've just noticed it looks to be taken from a similar spot as the well known Dorset st picture.
              If you compare the lamps on the left.
              They look as though they were taken on different sides of the road

Comment

• Weird that there's a carriage in the same place in every picture...

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                  Weird that there's a carriage in the same place in every picture...
                  I know, it even looks like the same carriage with the white area at its rear lol.

Comment

• Even in the sketch of the millers court entrance there seems to be a parked carriage at approximately the spot where it appears in both photographs

Comment

• Maybe the sketch was made off the photo.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Here's the article from whence the photo in post 4014 came from :

Comment

• What appear to be sketches in The Appeal were based on photos that had appeared a year previously (August 4, 1901) in the San Francisco Chronicle .

(Courtesy of JTRForums and Rob Clack)
                          Last edited by MrBarnett; 05-13-2016, 03:48 AM.

Comment

• Was in Spitalfields yesterday. Looked like a war zone. Fruit exchange gone, massive demolition next to Brushfield St. Entire Streets seemed to have vanished. Dorset [Duval] seems consigned to history, At this rate there will be nothing left of the old EastEnd. In a few years time Ripper tours will be impossible.
                            Very depressing the way London is being destroyed, turning into a high rise hell.

Miss Marple

Comment

• Originally posted by miss marple View Post
                              Was in Spitalfields yesterday. Looked like a war zone. Fruit exchange gone, massive demolition next to Brushfield St. Entire Streets seemed to have vanished. Dorset [Duval] seems consigned to history, At this rate there will be nothing left of the old EastEnd. In a few years time Ripper tours will be impossible.
                              Very depressing the way London is being destroyed, turning into a high rise hell.

Miss Marple
                              I couldn't agree more Miss M. Everyone took the P out of Prince Charles for his 'monstrous carbuncle' statement, but he's actually quite right.

One of the reasons London is such a popular city for tourists is the fantastic architecture spanning centuries - sadly, large chunks of it seem to be being transformed into completely faceless high rise greenhouses.

I'm going to go an be curmudgeonly elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Yabs View Post
                                I've just noticed it looks to be taken from a similar spot as the well known Dorset st picture.
                                If you compare the lamps on the left.
                                They look as though they were taken on different sides of the road
                                Both taken on the road.

Crossinghams on the corner of Paternoster Row is in the front left of both photos.Second building.35 Dorset Street.

The lamp nearest the carriage is actually 3 doors closer to the camera than Millers Court.
                                My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Working...
                                X