This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

put that Ancestry subscription to good use and finally confirm for us that you are, in fact, descended from Troglodytes.
    Internet connection can be a bit ropey in the cave.
    Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
    JayHartley.com

Comment

• Originally posted by erobitha View Post

Internet connection can be a bit ropey in the cave.
      lol. seriously.for another good laugh read this thread from tje beginning. who the hell is wiki casebook editor?!?! kaz debating caz. observer is there from the start. and stewart evans!!! the grave maurice! anyone remember him? keith skinner is unfortunately still a ghost lol!
      Last edited by Abby Normal; 08-09-2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

• oh and to coin a popular phrase thats been bouncng around lately. ero and icon.... get a room!

caz will be peeping through the key hole.
        Last edited by Abby Normal; 08-09-2020, 08:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

I should point out that it is usual for auction houses to produce a catalogue in advance of a forthcoming sale.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
          That - for the record - is (I imagine) true. We obviously don't have a copy of it, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one.
          Iconoclast
          Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

His own sister said that? Yet the reams of "experts" on this forum believe he was a master hoaxer. I wonder who knew him best. My money is on the "experts".
            No, she didn't actually say that he was full of shite, erobitha (though I'm sure she was thinking it). She denied that any of his story which involved her was true in any regard.

But I take your point: who is there more likely to understand the man, the young girl he drew up with and who knew him well into adulthood, or the part-time protestants who turned up at Barrett's door to tell him what he had actually done (initially Feldman and Harris via Gray) even though he largely hadn't (Feldman told him he wasn't Mike Barrett, for goodness sake, and Mike was all agog as if such a thing were actually likely or even possible) right up to and including Barrett family members such as Lord Orsam, AbNormal, and Katnip the Dane who evidently grew up with Lynn and Bongo and knew the Barretts intimately?

The alternative is that a whole bunch of motivated people are determined to misrepresent what Bongo was capable of doing in order to wish away a most inconvenient document.

You pays your money and you takes your choice ...

Ike
            Iconoclast

Comment

youve been accused of being a troll and just trying to wind us up. but i think they dont give you enough credit icon.
              your at least an eloquent orc.
              That is true, Abby, but - like you - I truly do not give a **** (or as you rather cleverly put it to avoid the censor, ***). In all the years that I have defended the scrapbook, I have received a barrage of insults, derision, and criticism sometimes from multiple sources simultaneously (as frequently you as most others at certain times), often with no voice of support to bolster the decks. For the record, I've never once reported anyone to Admin for anything (though the recent quasi-accusations of lying and profiteering were pushing me very close to breaking my duck on that score). I've taken it on the chin and got on with it. Handed a fair amount of it back too, I guess.

The insults, the derision, and the criticism I can take. I feed off it and the Geordie Boy in me just wants to have that pub brawl that Abe is organising for us all (Abe, have you got the date sorted out yet, by the way?).

I cannot lie, however. The accusations of being a troll and a wind-up merchant are infuriating. They are on a different level. There you are, everyone, if you want to get under Ike's skin just accuse him of being insincere. Insincere people often write 110 page summaries of the cases they are trolling around in, I know, but this one doesn't. It's the cheapest shot of all - cheaper than your common or garden "You're a complete ******* tool, you arse" which always puts a smile on my face even though I'm the target of it. Accusing someone of being a troll is pathetic, worthless, disgusting, and fundamentally spineless. I should know, I've done it a few times myself.

PS What is an 'orc'?

Ike
              Iconoclast

Comment

put that Ancestry subscription to good use and finally confirm for us that you are, in fact, descended from Troglodytes.
                You see, that's the sort of insult I think is very funny.

Obviously it's even funnier because I'm not the recipient of it on this occasion (sorry e.) but I'd have been happy to have owned that one.

A Badge of Honour to erobitha for receiving it, and a small, polite clap from me for the comment (though I think 'troglodyte' is not a proper noun therefore should not have been capitalised ).

Ike
                Iconoclast

Comment

The number of "experts" who all jump in on this debate who claim indifference, or my personal favourite, "no dog in the race" and then go on to try and wield a dagger into the heart of this thing (and failing) is breathtaking. For a subject so many apparently do not care about or spend time on, there is an alarming amount of time spent on and discussing a subject they care so little for.

I used to like a girl at school once but I was petrified I would be made a laughing stock if I got it wrong. So I went the other way, and became a little bollocks. Needless to say I never got the girl and I never needed to act the way I did. If I pretended I didn't care enough then then maybe they will believe I didn't care. My real feelings were spared.

If people on this thread genuinely dismissed this whole thing as poppycock they wouldn't feel the need to fight it so much. In the end it would just be Ike, Caz and I rambling to ourselves.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
                  - Billy Shakes
                  On our current, occasional Nordic theme, I am thinking of renaming you VoR the Destroyer for the Voice of Reason rarely wields his axe without cutting through some serious billy bollocks.

Wield away, young man - the world will be your lobster one day!

Ike
                  Iconoclast

Comment

lol. seriously.for another good laugh read this thread from tje beginning. who the hell is wiki casebook editor?!?! kaz debating caz. observer is there from the start. and stewart evans!!! the grave maurice! anyone remember him? keith skinner is unfortunately still a ghost lol!
                    I can't believe that you've actually read 5,700 posts? Not suggesting you haven't, but - Lord - that must have been a day of your life you ain't a-getting back, dude?

Just for jolly, are the above posts answers to the specific clarification I asked for on #635 of the 'Special Announcement' thread? Is it - for clarity's sake - your heartfelt opinion that anybody and everybody who does not agree the diary was written by Mike Barrett is “brain dead”?

Seems a tad exaggerated if it is. We have some serious smartarses on the Casebook, you know, and it's not just I who believe that there was no way on God's good earth that evolution's sole example of the species bongos barrettenthis could have written that wonderful scrapbook.

Hey, just saying!

Ike
                    Iconoclast

Comment

• Katnip,

Don't keep us waiting too long. We want to know which auction Mike Barrett attended, and we also want to know how you alone are in possession of this fact.

Chief Inspector Ike Iconoclast
                      A maverick cop with a penchant for cwoffee and dohnuts who always gets results, etc.
                      Iconoclast

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post

That is true, Abby, but - like you - I truly do not give a **** (or as you rather cleverly put it to avoid the censor, ***). In all the years that I have defended the scrapbook, I have received a barrage of insults, derision, and criticism sometimes from multiple sources simultaneously (as frequently you as most others at certain times), often with no voice of support to bolster the decks. For the record, I've never once reported anyone to Admin for anything (though the recent quasi-accusations of lying and profiteering were pushing me very close to breaking my duck on that score). I've taken it on the chin and got on with it. Handed a fair amount of it back too, I guess.

The insults, the derision, and the criticism I can take. I feed off it and the Geordie Boy in me just wants to have that pub brawl that Abe is organising for us all (Abe, have you got the date sorted out yet, by the way?).

I cannot lie, however. The accusations of being a troll and a wind-up merchant are infuriating. They are on a different level. There you are, everyone, if you want to get under Ike's skin just accuse him of being insincere. Insincere people often write 110 page summaries of the cases they are trolling around in, I know, but this one doesn't. It's the cheapest shot of all - cheaper than your common or garden "You're a complete ******* tool, you arse" which always puts a smile on my face even though I'm the target of it. Accusing someone of being a troll is pathetic, worthless, disgusting, and fundamentally spineless. I should know, I've done it a few times myself.

PS What is an 'orc'?

Ike
                        Ike,

Have you not read the Lord of the Rings?

No, it’s not David Barrat’s autobiography, it’s a work of fantasy about an everyday hobbit who gets mixed up with a lot of nasty creatures. The orcs are among the nastiest. There’s another particularly horrible creature called Shelob who puts me in mind of some of those who inhabit the darker recesses of these boards. And then there are the nine Nazgúl, the Dark Riders or Ringwraiths. And my personal favourite, Gollum (Sméagol) who is in thrall to the ring - his ‘precious’ - stolen from him, he claims, by a nasty little hobbit called Baggins. He comes good at the end though, even if unintentionally, being responsible for the destruction of his ‘precious’.

But the most terrifying character of all is Sauron - the eponymous Lord of the Rings - whose attempts to conquer Middle Earth are scuppered by a couple of blundering furry-footed hobbits. Sauron’s dark powers are dependent on the existence of Gollum’s ‘precious’, the ‘one-off’ ring, and its destruction is his downfall.

Sam Gamgee

Attached Files
                        Last edited by MrBarnett; 08-09-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
                          Katnip,

Chief Inspector Ike Iconoclast
                          A maverick cop with a penchant for cwoffee and dohnuts who always gets results, etc.
                          And if those pen pushers down at city hall don't like it, they can swivel on it!
                          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post

And if those pen pushers down at city hall don't like it, they can swivel on it!
                            Who loves ya, baby?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post

Ike,

Have you not read the Lord of the Rings?

No, it’s not David Barrat’s autobiography, it’s a work of fantasy about an everyday hobbit who gets mixed up with a lot of nasty creatures. The orcs are among the nastiest. There’s another particularly horrible creature called Shelob who puts me in mind of some of those who inhabit the darker recesses of these boards. And then there are the nine Nazgúl, the Dark Riders or Ringwraiths. And my personal favourite, Gollum (Sméagol) who is in thrall to the ring - his ‘precious’ - stolen from him by a nasty little hobbit called Baggins. He comes good at the end though, even if unintentionally, being responsible for the destruction of his ‘precious’.

But the most terrifying character of all is Sauron - the eponymous Lord of the Rings - whose attempts to conquer Middle Earth are scuppered by a couple of blundering furry-footed hobbits. Sauron’s dark powers are dependent on the existence of Gollum’s ‘precious’, the ‘one-off’ ring, and its destruction is his downfall.

Sam Gamgee

Hi MrBarnett,

Many thanks for the clarification - and for the beautifully ill-disguised allusions to our own Dark Lord!

I haven't read any such - do you call them 'fantasy'? - books though Mrs Iconoclast has read them all (hence why I can't get any of my books on our shelves). I usually pick her latest one up and pretend to read something along the lines of "And so it came to pass that Lord Garthurian evaporated to the Land of Thrug where he ..." at which point I generally have to stop to treat my head wound whilst she picks up the 600 page epic she's just thrown at me.

She once got me to go to see 'The Two Towers' at the pictures, or so she assures me (I may well have caught up with my sleep that evening). She was so pissed off with my disinterest that she went with her friend's husband after that.

I usually only ever read factual books. Occasionally I'll read a work of fictional genius ('The Secret History', etc.) but generally I just like to read what I call my 'time travel' books (biography and history). The more facts and the more detail the better. Right now, I'm reading Clark's brilliantly-researched if rather turgid 'Sleepwalkers' (on the subject of the Balkans issues which led Europe into the First World War - or the Third Balkan War as he prefers to call it).

But 'if it's [an orc] they want then [an orc] I shall be'.

Ike
                              Iconoclast

Comment

• Hi Ike,

I don’t really like fantasy as a genre, but I read LOTR when I was about 14/15 and it’s now embedded in my DNA. When the films came out I was over the moon, I recall being quite emotional at seeing Shadowfax (a horse) on the big screen. But after my initial excitement died down, I realised the films don’t have the same ‘feel’ as the books. They feel foreign where the books, especially ‘The Fellowship...’, have a distinct Englishness about them.

Although I signed off last time as Sam Gamgee, the beer-loving servant of the main character, Frodo Baggins, I would like to think of myself as more of a Tom Bombadil, the one person in Middle Earth over whom the ‘one-off’ ring had no power...

Have you dropped off???

Tom
                                Last edited by MrBarnett; 08-09-2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X