Prater's stairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
    I'm not questioning this statement at all but could you just remind me how we do know this?
    (the statement was that the staircase was behind the partition)

Hi David

Because Prater said she could see light from Kelly's room when going upstairs.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
      Your interpretation differs from all descriptions known about that room, which you have been reminded of numerous times. Perhaps the fact that it is referred to as a "partition" wall has little significance to you, but since the definition of the word includes; something that separates or divides, ...or more specific to this issue..."an interior wall or barrier dividing a room, area of a building, enclosure, etc., into separate areas", perhaps it will become clearer. Though I doubt it.

You are proving again and again that you only care about what you personally believe, not about what the facts are. I couldn't care personally what you believe, but Im concerned that your insistence about something that has already been proven to be incorrect is detrimental to new students attempting to understand the basics properly.

There was no access through a door that was fixed in place for use as a partial wall. That's a basic fundamental here.
      OK. So now you are telling me I must believe that in Mary´s room, which was 2,85 meters wide, there was also a partition wall, parallell to the original brick wall? WHY?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post

Hi David

Hi Stephen,

Thank you.

But doesn't that mean that the staircase could be literally anywhere behind (or inside) "Prater's doorway", as long as it afforded a view of the partition while climbing it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post

Hi David

Naturally it was behind the so called "partition". Otherwise, how could someone get into that room? It would have been filled with stairs!!

The room was 2,85 meters wide. It had a brick wall toward the other big room, called "the shed", which was originally a shop (S).

In the brick wall was a door frame and a door. You see it on MJK1.

This door is called "a partition". If it had "cut the room off" it must have been locked.

A door can not be a wall. There was already a wall there. It was a brick wall.

How can this be difficult?

Regards Pierre
          Last edited by Pierre; 12-15-2015, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• How do you see light thru a brick wall?
            there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
              OK. So now you are telling me I must believe that in Mary´s room, which was 2,85 meters wide, there was also a partition wall, parallell to the original brick wall? WHY?
              This seems (unusually for him) to be a reasonable question? What is going on what the plan? Is there a brick wall indicated there or not?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                How do you see light thru a brick wall?
                The problem is that Pierre is saying there is a door in the brick wall. That could have a gap to allow the light through.

Comment

• Pierre,

Others here disagree with you.

I am not expert enough in this area to know who is right

However the key says a broken solid line means brick wall and opening are present on all floors.

Stephen Thomas says:

"The Goad map shows a broken line between the main body of #26 and the back extension. This is not showing a doorway as some people think but is merely indicating that the two storey extension is part of #26 and not a separate dwelling"

You say:

"No. It is a "partition". It is NOT a "partition wall" since there is already a brick wall there."

Sorry if the "brick" wall is a partition it is obviously a partition wall

"The partition can only be a door and nothing else. "

Pardon, you just said the brick wall was a partition, now you say the partition can only be be a door.
                  Can you please explain?

You say the brick wall was always there? are you saying since building was constructed?
                  Last edited by Elamarna; 12-15-2015, 11:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert St Devil View Post
                    How do you see light thru a brick wall?
                    Oh, dear. You see it FROM BETWEEN THE DOORFRAME AND THE DOOR.
                    Last edited by Pierre; 12-15-2015, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
                      Pierre,

Others here disagree with you.

Good. Let them!

I am not expert enough in this area to know who is right

I respect you for saying that.

However the key says a broken solid line means brick wall and opening are present on all floors.

Stephen Thomas says:

"The Goad map shows a broken line between the main body of #26 and the back extension. This is not showing a doorway as some people think but is merely indicating that the two storey extension is part of #26 and not a separate dwelling"

You say:

"No. It is a "partition". It is NOT a "partition wall" since there is already a brick wall there."

Sorry if the "brick" wall is a partition it is obviously a partition wall

"The partition can only be a door and nothing else. "

Pardon, you just said the brick wall was a partition, now you say the partition can only be be a door.
                      Can you please explain?

NO. Steve, please try and read this: There is a brick wall. There is a door in the brick wall. The door has the function of a partition. The door is the partition.

Simple. Nothing more.

Regards Pierre

Comment

• Concise Oxford Dictionary

partition n. division into parts, such part; structure separating two such parts, esp. slight wall.

Comment

• I agree with this David. Also, could the stairs have been 'steps' rather than a traditional set of 'tread and riser' stairs? If they were wooden steps then the view between the treads would also allow an almost unobstructed view as you ascend.

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                          Hi Stephen,

Thank you.

But doesn't that mean that the staircase could be literally anywhere behind (or inside) "Prater's doorway", as long as it afforded a view of the partition while climbing it?
                          JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                          JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

• The why not call it a door or doorway or a locked door or a sealed door rather than a partition?

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                            Regards Pierre
                            NO. Steve, please try and read this: There is a brick wall. There is a door in the brick wall. The door has the function of a partition. The door is the partition.

Simple. Nothing more.
                            JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                            JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                            JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

• I am really sorry Pierre,

but that is not the meaning of partition in English, be that American or British versions:

"A partition wall is a wall that separates rooms, or divides a room. Partition walls are usually not load-bearing. Partition walls are constructed of many materials, including steel panels, bricks, blocks of clay, terra-cotta, concrete, or glass blocks".

if the door is a partition then the whole wall is. That really is simple

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                                I'm not questioning this statement at all but could you just remind me how we do know this?
                                Elizabeth Prater claimed that she could see no light coming though the cracks in the partition wall as she went upstairs. Her statement backs that of Mary Ann Cox's in terms of the timing of the dark and silent room.
                                Michael Richards

Comment

Working...
                                X