Facial Mutilations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post

Why I continue bother correcting the plethora of assumptions is getting blurry...I guess, unlike many, I prefer the actual story to a make believe one.

Which all sounds very superior Michael, but I can quote you times when you have insisted something was fact because it was proven. A belief of yours which was neither proven nor fact.

Which might very well confuse the reader as to why you try to correct the assumptions of others, all the while promoting those of your own?
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      As unfortunates I would not class them as prostitutes but women who survived any way they could and dulled their pain with drink. They seemed to have a pawn scam going too and no doubt other dodgy dealings plus hop picking.
      I dont feel Liz Stride was prostituting herself but just off having a boozy night out, possibly looking for a chap to buy her some drinks? She was heard to say "No not tonight" to one man.
      I do think she may have been waiting to clear the club. However the murderer might have thought she was waiting for clients.

Pat..................
      When phrased like that it sounds perfectly palatable to me, however, IF there was a murderer who targeted her because he thought she was alone working the streets one wonders why he went into the passageway to get her...because she was out of sight after 12:35 and in the passageway from that point on, and perhaps more importantly, he isn't someone intent on mutilations.

Its a numbers game for me Paddy..and the numbers don't really add up to a random attack by Jack the Ripper. Someone who was already on the property when Liz enters the passageway is better mathematically, for a few reasons..including an empty street witnessed by a neighbour.

Cheers
      Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
        Which all sounds very superior Michael, but I can quote you times when you have insisted something was fact because it was proven. A belief of yours which was neither proven nor fact.

Which might very well confuse the reader as to why you try to correct the assumptions of others, all the while promoting those of your own?
        Ive unconventionally used logic, facts and reason when making any statement concerning any aspect of any of these murders, my comments you took umbrage with concern the many myths and assumptions that people regularly use to help illustrate their own spin on the evidence.

Like your assertion that no Canonicals made statements on the respective nights that they were murdered which provide us with their activities just before their murders. As for known activities just before the murder you can add Liz Stride loitering in a passageway on private property, Kate Eddowes having a conversation with "Sailor Man" outside Mitre Square and Mary Kelly sleeping to the Canonical List.

So much for targeting working "prostitutes".

Now....as for these facial mutilations... so easily forgotten....
        Michael Richards

Comment

• I wasn't accusing any of these women of anything Michael, contrary to your assertions. I have said several times on this and other threads that the C-5 and other women in the under-class of the East End did what they could to survive. That included, sewing, cleaning, washing, selling handiwork, and exchanging sex for money when they had to, when their cash ran out. However, occasional prostitution is still prostitution, whichever way you want to address it. I still think Mary Kelly was probably a full time 'unfortunate' in the last few weeks of her life, after Joe lost his job. She doesn't seem to have had any other known occupation and helping her friend Maria with laundry wasn't likely to pay too many bills.
          Last edited by Rosella; 08-05-2015, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
            I wasn't accusing any of these women of anything Michael, contrary to your assertions. I have said several times on this and other threads that the C-5 and other women in the under-class of the East End did what they could to survive. That included, sewing, cleaning, washing, selling handiwork, and exchanging sex for money when they had to, when their cash ran out. However, occasional prostitution is still prostitution, whichever way you want to address it. I still think Mary Kelly was probably a full time 'unfortunate' in the last few weeks of her life, after Joe lost his job. She doesn't seem to have had any other known occupation and helping her friend Maria with laundry wasn't likely to pay too many bills.
            I didn't mean to come across so harshly Rosella, but I do think it needs being emphasized that we do not know, with reasonable certainty, how three of the Five met their killer(s) on the respective murder nights.

Lets use the example you used above, Mary. Joe Barnett did not like Mary working the streets, he said as much himself, and he had only left Mary with Maria in room 13 at the very end of October. Maria moved out the Tuesday of that last week, which means...Mary had only 2 nights where she was the sole occupant of room 13, Wednesday and Thursday. That miniscule timeframe doesn't lend itself to a period where Mary re-imagined her living style and suddenly decides to invite strangers into that room for sex for money exchanges. In fact, we have evidence that on her last night she invited someone into her room and then sang for over an hour. Street whores performed their services in a matter of minutes with strange men in alleys and backyards, none of the encounters that we hear of in that vein include a serenade. Certainly not an hours worth anyway.

I believe its likely Polly and Mary, of the Five, were the ones that relied most frequently on the selling their bodies, but its clear by the evidence we have that only Polly and Annie left us with witness testimony that suggests they were soliciting their last night.

Using Liz as another example, of what the evidence shows us on the final night...IF Liz was telling the truth when she told her landlady that she had been at work "among the Jews" and she is lingering inside the club passageway... while the streets are empty and the yard supposedly equally occupied... after a large meeting had ended... comprised of Immigrant Jews, then its far more likely she was there to clean "among the jews", to meet a Jewish client who she is planning to work for over the high holidays that were just beginning at that very time, or that she has met a Jewish man since leaving Kidney and has a social engagement planned with him, than it is she was selling her services to the empty street and yard.

When the corsage and mints are added in, plus the request for a lint brush before leaving the lodging house, the ankle length skirt...the overall impression is one that follows the suggestions I made above.

When we assume the women were soliciting, then we also assume how they met their killer, or if they may have known the man or men. We would also assume that the motivations of the killer are limited to psychopathic compulsions.

Without those assumptions, we then have a myriad of possibilities for who may have killed them and why. When you have 3 of the victims just ending serious relationships, (Kate certainly doesn't rush back to John after her release from jail), then you have the potential for a motive. When you also know that one of those 3 victims was seeing someone on the side that occasionally "treats her ill", then you have a possible link to a motive there.

My point...Just because we still don't know what most were doing on their last nights, it doesn't mean by default that they were soliciting. It simply means we don't know.

Cheers
            Michael Richards

Comment

• These women whatever they were doing at the time they met their killer suffered. They suffered in death and they suffered in life. They did what they had to to survive we luckily are not in their position we can't know their feelings so we have no right to judge them by standards we can not begin to understand the emotional impact of

Comment

• Originally posted by belinda View Post
                These women whatever they were doing at the time they met their killer suffered. They suffered in death and they suffered in life. They did what they had to to survive we luckily are not in their position we can't know their feelings so we have no right to judge them by standards we can not begin to understand the emotional impact of
                A little over the top, but not innacurate Belinda. Ive fought with many people here over the years about the negative assumptions made about these women, but it seems people feel superior enough to judge anyone not abiding by what they believe are virtuous lifestyles.

I think Id like to see what a few of them do when they are starving and freezing.

Cheers
                Michael Richards

Comment

• It's interesting that JTR is always noted for his female parts attacks, showing his hatred for women, but he did rip up some faces. Point being was that because they were female faces?

Or maybe was this guy not hating women but wishing he was a woman? Wanting to possess 'woman-ness' by focusing on the parts that made him think distinctly of that.

A mad transsexual? Ed Gein comes to mind.

Comment

• Ed Gein though, kept and used as masks the faces of the middle aged women that he killed and disinterred, didn't he, using them as interior decoration pieces and adornments for himself? He had been dominated all his life by a zealot mother who 'abandoned' him by dying. He feared having a sex-change operation. From what was known of his background some conclusions were able to be drawn as to his motivations for some of what he did, including the theory that he wanted to bring his mother back by 'being' her himself.

There's doesn't seem to be anything in Jack's treatment of his victims that suggests, in my opinion, that he wished to gain their femininity by taking a uterus and a kidney (and perhaps a heart.) He seems to me to have wanted to play with Eddowes face, a nick here and there, a slash there, almost scribbling on her face with his knife. He destroyed Mary's face, just obliterating everything human about her. I do think Jack hated women, but his wanting to be one (impossible at that time of course) is more problematic to me.

Comment

• Unless he was feasting on things. I'm just playing with the idea, not sold on it, just tinkering.

Comment

• I still think we're dealing with a killer who was not unlike Richard Chase, or should that be the other way around?

The males were all shot dead, but Evelyn Miroth was even more severely mutilated than Terry Wallin. There were two crossing cuts across across her abdomen, through which her intestines protruded. Her body was covered in stab wounds, some particularly aimed at her face and anal area.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                          I still think we're dealing with a killer who was not unlike Richard Chase, or should that be the other way around?

The males were all shot dead, but Evelyn Miroth was even more severely mutilated than Terry Wallin. There were two crossing cuts across across her abdomen, through which her intestines protruded. Her body was covered in stab wounds, some particularly aimed at her face and anal area.
                          I don't think he was overtly insane like chase.
                          Im thinking more along the lines of Dahmer, William suff and kemper.

Although no other serial killer is very similar to the ripper.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                            I still think we're dealing with a killer who was not unlike Richard Chase, or should that be the other way around?

I don't know. Richard Chase had no control. Yes he killed six people, but in three "acts". The first guy was drive by, which was not in his "style", and accomplished few of his goals. He did it because he felt the need, and did not have the capacity to wait and try for something better. The second was chance because of his locked door theory, and the last four were in a frenzy. He had no chance, none whatsoever, of avoiding detection or confrontation. That those things didn't happen were sheer luck. And he wasn't even hunting people when he was going into these houses. He was following other instincts, but when confronted with people he took advantage. He didn't wait for people to come home. He didn't leave because no one was there. He despoiled their houses, stole things, did his thing, moved on. But he wasn't looking for victims specifically. He took them if he found them.

Never mind the fact that had the cops asked people "Gee who do you think this psycho killer is?" everyone who had ever met him would have pointed at Chase. And Chase would have admitted it. Well, he would have ranted for awhile first, but then he would have copped to it.

Chase was so sick that not only was this murder spree always going to happen, they knew it when he was a kid. He needed blood and violence the way we need medicine. Literally. He thought he was dying and this was the cure. So imagine the subtlety you would be capable of if someone poisoned you, and was holding the antidote, but wouldn't give it to you. How much do you care about cops or the law or even the life of the guy who poisoned you in that moment? What would you do to live? Chase's schizophrenia was severe and complicated. His brain really was attacking him. What he did makes sense if you understand his delusions. Sure it's not rational, but his beliefs were as unshakable to him as your belief in gravity is to you. Of course he did this. He was always going to do this. And yet again in the annals of serial killer history, he might have had a chance were it not for his mother. She thought she knew best. She was very wrong.

I don't see Jack that way. I don't see him as some criminal mastermind, but I see a guy in control. He can edit. He can adapt. He is not lashing out, he is hunting. He has the ability to recognize that launching himself at the first potential victim he sees won't end well for him. He is not a rabid dog. He is not consumed by his desires. He has at least some control. He knows that even a few minutes worth of self control will pay off. And he can wait for that payoff. He can stop and run. Something I don't Chase could have done.

And anyway, statistically speaking, far more people kill because they WANT to than because they HAVE to. Far more serial killers kill despite knowing that it is wrong than kill because they think it's right. The biggest problem in that community is narcissism. Not psychosis.
                            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by Errata View Post
                              I don't know. Richard Chase had no control. Yes he killed six people, but in three "acts". The first guy was drive by, which was not in his "style", and accomplished few of his goals. He did it because he felt the need, and did not have the capacity to wait and try for something better. The second was chance because of his locked door theory, and the last four were in a frenzy. He had no chance, none whatsoever, of avoiding detection or confrontation. That those things didn't happen were sheer luck. And he wasn't even hunting people when he was going into these houses. He was following other instincts, but when confronted with people he took advantage. He didn't wait for people to come home. He didn't leave because no one was there. He despoiled their houses, stole things, did his thing, moved on. But he wasn't looking for victims specifically. He took them if he found them.

Never mind the fact that had the cops asked people "Gee who do you think this psycho killer is?" everyone who had ever met him would have pointed at Chase. And Chase would have admitted it. Well, he would have ranted for awhile first, but then he would have copped to it.

Chase was so sick that not only was this murder spree always going to happen, they knew it when he was a kid. He needed blood and violence the way we need medicine. Literally. He thought he was dying and this was the cure. So imagine the subtlety you would be capable of if someone poisoned you, and was holding the antidote, but wouldn't give it to you. How much do you care about cops or the law or even the life of the guy who poisoned you in that moment? What would you do to live? Chase's schizophrenia was severe and complicated. His brain really was attacking him. What he did makes sense if you understand his delusions. Sure it's not rational, but his beliefs were as unshakable to him as your belief in gravity is to you. Of course he did this. He was always going to do this. And yet again in the annals of serial killer history, he might have had a chance were it not for his mother. She thought she knew best. She was very wrong.

I don't see Jack that way. I don't see him as some criminal mastermind, but I see a guy in control. He can edit. He can adapt. He is not lashing out, he is hunting. He has the ability to recognize that launching himself at the first potential victim he sees won't end well for him. He is not a rabid dog. He is not consumed by his desires. He has at least some control. He knows that even a few minutes worth of self control will pay off. And he can wait for that payoff. He can stop and run. Something I don't Chase could have done.

And anyway, statistically speaking, far more people kill because they WANT to than because they HAVE to. Far more serial killers kill despite knowing that it is wrong than kill because they think it's right. The biggest problem in that community is narcissism. Not psychosis.
                              Great post Errata
                              Agree entirely!

Comment

• If one took a spectrum of disorganised to organised killers, with Richard Chase at one end and the likes of Bundy/Gacy at the other, I'd contend that the Ripper would be closer to Chase on that scale than he would the latter. You only have to look at the recent discussion on the murder locations to see that this was someone who took massive gambles, killing his victims in a yard next to a busy social club, the back garden of an occupied house, and backstreets regularly patrolled by constables, two victims in one night etc. I'm not necessarily suggesting that the Ripper was at the same level of psychosis as Chase, but even Chase had a basic survival instinct and knew when to flee from the scene of the crime when he thought he was about to get caught. It was only after a woman who went to high school with Chase recognised a police sketch that he ended up on the police radar. Perhaps it was a matter of time before he would've been caught anyway, but couldn't we say the same about the Ripper? We only assume that he was some kind of master criminal because he got away with it. We have no idea why the Whitechapel murders came to an end, it could well have been because he was locked away in an asylum.

We have two serial killers/rapists, Richard Chase & Robert Napper who were both paranoid schizophrenics with ritualistic traits, both mutilated their victims, took organs as trophies, posed their victims, and made no effort to hide the bodies. That doesn't mean that the Ripper was a dead match for these guys, but there are obvious parallels which shouldn't be dismissed.

Comment

Working...
                                X