Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heh Iam ahead of you there maurice.

Iam on my second moleskine notebook.

Iam sad to confess that I have always had a soft spot for sexy stationary, at the moment moleskines really float my boat, as it were.

doris
    ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

Originally posted by coral View Post
      Hi Doris

A great purchase. Is there any indication of who the orginal owner might have been?

It took me a lot more than £30 to acquire that lot.

Coral
      The only clue so far is a modern print of Rumbelows book which contains the handwritten inscription "hello Amy, and welcome to the world of ripperolgy 2005, Donald Rumbelow"

But I get the feeling that this book was a later addition to the original chaps collection, as I also have the first edition of the same book (the first ed has a really old fashioned looking cover)

It has actually inspired me to start collecting ripper books.

What will a 1st edition of L mathers book cost me?

doris

Comment

Originally posted by doris View Post
        Mind you Iam about to read Knight's book, so the worse is probably to come.

doris
        Hi Doris,

certainly not.
        Knight was an excellent researcher and his book is rather well written, although his theory is unbelievable.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

hmm, you have a point david.

Iam about a quater of the way through, and if I didnt know better I could almost believe what he is writing is the truth.

He certainly had a knack for that sort of thing.

doris

Comment

An arm and a leg
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Wow, Doris is a lucky boy! Very cool.
              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Uh-oh. Once you get the collecting bug, you never have any peace. It depends, of course, on what kind of collector you want to be. You can still get a good copy of Matter’s book, banged about a bit and without a dust jacket, for around £50. A decent copy in a dust jacket is probably more like £300.

Comment

Are those L maters prices for first editions maurice?

Since owning so many famous ripper book first eds I want to own more.

I have been stricken with some kind of disease Iam afraid.

MUST own ripper books.

doris

Comment

Hi Maurice,

He now officially has CRS. Cronic ripper syndrome.
                    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Ive doen Knights royals book.

Iam startinh Spierling's price jack now.

My head is spinning, and I keep seeing top hats and gladstone bags when I close my eyes.

God knows what Ill dream about tonight!

doris

Comment

Hi Doris,

It happens to us all. I doubt there is one man or woman on here who has not had a dream or nighmare about "Saucy Jacky". I know I have. Long ago.
                        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
                          Hi Doris,

It happens to us all. I doubt there is one man or woman on here who has not had a dream or nighmare about "Saucy Jacky". I know I have. Long ago.
                          Hehe, I knew things had become serious Corey when I found myself making a list, page by page, of all the errors T Cullen made.

doris

Comment

Hi Doris,

We all do it. Thats what it is being a ripperologist. Just remember to take breaks now and then. .

Also, just don't stick to Jack the Ripper. I am sure other criminal cases would also interest you.
                            Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Are those L maters prices for first editions maurice?
                              Yep.

MUST own ripper books.
                              I know the feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
                                Hi Doris,

We all do it. Thats what it is being a ripperologist. Just remember to take breaks now and then. .

Also, just don't stick to Jack the Ripper. I am sure other criminal cases would also interest you.
                                Actually, I have for years, been intrigued by the Zodiac.
                                Many hours I have spent with a bit of paper scratching my head over his undecrypted messages.

doris

oh, and I often wonder if the 'alphabet murders' name simmilarities and body discovery location names could be conincidences.
                                Last edited by doris; 03-01-2010, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X