No announcement yet.

what new JtR books are coming down the pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See? I told you I was thick. I always like to know about a new book, and it was very nice to hear from you, my son.

P.S. A guy with your brains should post more. It would raise the tone.

Comment

And...

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
      ... Stewart Evans claims he's done with Ripper books, which means we can expect at least two more from him at some point.
      Yours truly,
      Tom Wescott
      And pigs might fly.
      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
        Hiya Phil,

I'm not exactly sure if you're poking fun at Keith Skinner but, if you are, you must realise it is completely unjustified. Skinner is, perhaps, the most talented researcher ever to set foot in this field. Any project that he goes near has something to commend it.

If he's working for Ms Cornwell now, I say hurray: his involvement can only improve her work. I just wish that she had his advice the first time around.
        Hello GM,

NO...I certainly am NOT poking fun at Keith Skinner. I was thinking more in the line of quantity oif books collectively in general that are to appear, actually. I have the utmost respect for Mr Skinner, as those who know me are well aware of.

best wishes

Phil
        Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
        Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
          I know that Spiro (I'll butcher his last name if I try from memory) has a book coming out. I will eventually.
          Hey Tom,

You've been known to butcher any rendition to the English language so no surprise there.

Give my regards to Broadway and Dan Norder.

Spiro D

p.s. Good to hear of some fine offerings from a few great researchers and authors on the horizon of Ripperology. May all your errors be unlike the new A-Z compilation of disputed facts.
          Last edited by auspirograph; 10-19-2010, 11:23 AM. Reason: Brevity
          Jack the Ripper Writers -- An online community of crime writers and historians.

http://ripperwriters.aforumfree.com

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...nd-black-magic

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Comment

Phil Cates wrote:
            If he's working for Ms Cornwell now, I say hurray: his involvement can only improve her work. I just wish that she had his advice the first time around.

I thought she has?

Is Wescott an actor on Broadway or something?
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans
              And pigs might fly.
              Last time you said that we got swine flu.

Originally posted by auspirograph
              You've been known to butcher any rendition to the English language so no surprise there.
              What can I say, Greek names are all Greek to me. I'm glad you appreciate my plug for your book. I hope you'll appreciate my review of it as well.

Originally posted by mariab
              Is Wescott an actor on Broadway or something?
              Broadway? No, but I have a way with broads.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Actually, I'm Greek too (so no big surprise everything I say is Greek to people), but I don't know no Spyros. And I know a lot of broads (like, all my BFFs including myself, plus a couple of guys who might also qualify). And I'm in Athens, Greece right now, and we're about to go to an ice rink – of all places. Because we like decalage.
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

I've only read two ripper books, Begg's "The Facts" and Sudgens "The Complete History".

Generally not sure what other books are good, don't want to pick a book and be something like a Cornwell one.

Comment

Books vs Journals

Hi Garza,

These days, I'd say you're most safe with the journals. Unlike authors these days, most of whom are self-published, the journals have editorial control and offer a wide variety of reportage. Plus, they include book reviews, not only of new Ripper books but of subjects that are related, and I've found some really good books this way. One could buy a sub to both Ripperologist and Casebook Examiner for HALF the price of a single Ripper book, get four times the material, and much more variety.
                    Having said that I also buy the Ripper books because I'm a geek and can afford it. If you're not a geek or can't afford all the books, buy the journals.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Garza View Post
                      I've only read two ripper books, Begg's "The Facts" and Sudgens "The Complete History".

Generally not sure what other books are good, don't want to pick a book and be something like a Cornwell one.
                      "Prisoner 1167" was a very good suspect book (on James Kelly), though I now have serious doubts that he was JtR.

the book on Bury was good (can't remember the name), though I have doubts about him too.

"Jack the Ripper's Secret Confession" was also good, though I don't have any belief whatsoever that 'Walter' was the killer.

Cornwell's book was laughably bad and the "Diary" was good only if you understand going in that is a hoax.

I would love to read good 'suspect books' on Kosminski, Druitt, and Jacob Levy.

all the overview/background books by Rumblelow and Evans are good, of course.

Comment

E-Books

Hi All,

I recently tried to twist Stewart Evans' arm and get him to re-publish his invaluable "Ultimate" as an e-book for a Kindle or Sony Reader, but he didn't think his publishers would be interested. As these electronic readers have search facilities, I personally think an e-version of "Ultimate" would be uber-useful and save a lot of time in not having to fumble around with an index. So, too, "Scotland Yard Investigates" and a properly debugged "A-Z".

What do you think? Any other Ripper titles you'd like to see go electronic?

Regards,

Simon
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Simon Wood wrote:
                          I personally think an e-version of "Ultimate" would be uber-useful and save a lot of time in not having to fumble around with an index. So, too, "Scotland Yard Investigates" and a properly debugged "A-Z".

Absolutely agree. Especially Scotland Yard investigates, which is in a HUGE A3 format and impossible to carry around when frequently mobile.
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Garza View Post

Hi Garza
                            The non-suspect books such as the two you've mentioned are obviousy the most important as they give you an unbiased view simply of known reports and testimony.
                            It is worthwhile though reading the different theory books as i'm sure you'll find something thought provoking in most of them.Even Cornwalls book showed us that if nothing else Walter Sickert did,in all probability,write some hoax letters.
                            You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                              Hi All,

While we're at it–

"Deconstructing Jack: The Secret History of the Whitechapel Murders", publication date tba.

Regards,

Simon
                              Hi Simon
                              I'm looking forward to this
                              You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                                I recently tried to twist Stewart Evans' arm and get him to re-publish his invaluable "Ultimate" as an e-book for a Kindle or Sony Reader, but he didn't think his publishers would be interested. As these electronic readers have search facilities, I personally think an e-version of "Ultimate" would be uber-useful and save a lot of time in not having to fumble around with an index. So, too, "Scotland Yard Investigates" and a properly debugged "A-Z".
                                As a second best, you can search the text of "Ultimate" on the Amazon website, though of course you still have to find the pages by leafing through the physical book rather than clicking through an electronic one:

Comment

Working...
                                X