The Fox and the Flies: The World of Joseph Silver, Racketeer and Psychopath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice
    We might be drifting from the point of the thread. LJ asked if the book is worth reading. No question, it is.
    Well, if someone is looking for good Ripper theories, this book is almost unanimously not considered to offer one, but as an all around good read with tons of info on a world most of us know little about, it's strongly recommended. So I guess it depends on what Jelly and others are wanting from their book.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Well said as usual, Tom. I thought I had made it clear in my first post in this thread that the JtR angle is questionable; but the book is still worth reading for the reason you state.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
        We might be drifting from the point of the thread. LJ asked if the book is worth reading. No question, it is. As to the three books on offer from Waterstones, I haven't read SPE's Executioner but, if it's like his other works, it will be brilliant. I've read the remaining two, and they're excellent, so I don't see how you can go wrong. Enjoy.
        Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        Well, if someone is looking for good Ripper theories, this book is almost unanimously not considered to offer one, but as an all around good read with tons of info on a world most of us know little about, it's strongly recommended. So I guess it depends on what Jelly and others are wanting from their book.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
        Well, I spent a few days deciding what to purchase - waterstones had a 3 for 2 offer on, & I found 4 books I wanted. Typical!

After messing about deciding for ages, I made my mind up on 3 books. Guess what. 3 for 2 sale ended!
        However it appears to have moved to sci-fi, so perhaps they move it around? I'll monitor I think.

Executioner was already on my list of books to purchase. I'm holding off a little, as I have so many books to read at the mo! However, the books I desire will be circulated to people around birthday time. Hopefully by then I'll have made some space on the shelves.

I'm keen to read they Karyo Magellan book too.

Comment

Working...
        X