Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• murder scene books

hi
    have looked everywhere to find diagrams of the murder scenes,as in where the body was laying etc.
    Didn't want to ask without looking for myself but have now bought many ripper books,trawled this site and others and just cant find anything.
    Is there any books out there i could purchase(tried amazon etc) or am i just not a good detective(lol) and there are diagrams on here or books to be bought.
    sorry again but really have tried and couldn't find anything,thanks for any help

Dixon 9
    still learning

I don't think there is one source for everything, but I'll give you what I know from having been to each site.

Polly Nicholls- Buck's Row is now called Durward Street, and the only building from the time of the murder that's still there is the Board School which is now an apartment building. A low wall topped by fencing extends out from that building, and at the end of that wall as you're walking along Durward is where Polly's body was found.

Annie Chapman- Hanbury Street is still Hanbury Street, and where the row of houses used to stand where the murder happened there is now a giant parking garage that in the 1960s used to be a brewery. It's covered in graffitti and I think it's at about the middle of the building where the murder site is.

Liz Stride- Berner Street is now called Henriques Street, and where the murder site of Dutfield's Yard once stood there is now a school and children's playground. A wall encloses it, and a modern gate now stands at about the spot where the gate once stood behind which Liz's body was found.

Catherine Eddowes- Mitre Square still exists, though none of the buildings surrounding it were there at the time of the murder. The murder site is at the spot where a couple of benches enclose a small flower garden, abutting a fence that encloses a kid's playground, just like at Liz Stride's site (quite an ironic coincidence).

Mary Kelly- Dorset Street no longer exists but where it used to be now lies between the Spitalfields Fruit Exchange warehouse and a large multi-level carpark, just a minute's walk from where the Ten Bells pub and Christchurch Spitalfields sit across the street from one another ("Mary's Corner"). The exact site of the murder at 13 Miller's Court is along the fruit exchange just about where a sign reading "Danger- Forklift Trucks" is mounted.

Hope this helps you. I'm not an expert, but I've been there. Any other quetions?

Comment

thank you very much kensei(i have the london of JtR then and now (by Robert Clack and Philip Hutchinson) great book btw,what i was really looking for is at the times of the murders where the body lay like as in a diagram of mitre square for example and X marks the spot where Catherine lay,with the layout of the areas

Is there anything like that about for the murders,sorry for being a pain and hope you understand what i am trying to get at,again many thanks for taking the time to help.

Dixon9
      still learning

Comment

Sugden has maps showing the position of bodies and the Douglas book "Will the real Jack the Ripper" also has a map for each murder

Comment

thanks alot chris,i have the sugden book,will try and get hold of the other one on amazon

again cheers you two for your help

Dixon9
          still learning

Comment

Hi, Dixon.
            Here is a photo from the 1930's William Stewart book. If I remember correctly Stewart went around to the locations and used his own daughter to illustrate the position of the victims as they were found at each of the crime scenes.

I can't speak to his level of accuracy, but perhaps others might be able to.

I have a few images from his book scattered throughout my files; I just located this one of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square & will have a look for some others if you are interested.

Best regards,
            Archaic

PS: Not sure, but these pics might even be in the Casebook Photo Archive or you might find an old thread featuring them.
            Attached Files

Comment

I just found this William Stewart photo of Buck's Row in the Casebook Photo Archive; it purports to show the position of the body of Polly Nichols.

You might want to have a look through the Archive, Dixon; others might be there as well.

Best regards,
              Archaic
              Attached Files

Comment

hi Archaic

thank you very much, just what i was looking for.
                Thanks to everyone else again who has helped me

Dixon9
                still learning

Comment

Hi Dixon, very glad to be of help.

Cheers,
                  Archaic

Comment

Maps of Whitechapel

The ripperArt maps are out of print now, but you can find even more detailed ones at http://www.jacktherippermap.info/

There is also a link near the bottom of the page to a Google Earth tour of modern day Whitechapel.

Regards.

Geoff

Comment

cheers Geoff

Dixon9
                      still learning

Comment

Working...
                      X