Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (11 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (9 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (7 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - (5 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre square, very upsetting! - (1 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Other Mysteries

Old 02-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Sergeant

Default Taman Shud

A feature from todays Telegraph about 10 uncracked codes. First I have heard of this weird case.

10. Taman Shud. An unidentified male body was found on Somerton Beach in Adelaide, Australia in 1948 wearing a sweater and coat despite the hot day, carrying no identification. There were no clues as to his identity and dental records and fingerprints matched no living person. An autopsy discovered bizarre congestion, blood in the stomach and enlarged organs but no foreign substances. A suitcase found at the train station that may have belonged to the man contained a pair of trousers with a secret hidden pocket, which held a piece of paper torn from a book imprinted with the words “Taman Shud”. The paper was matched to a very rare copy of Omar Khayyam’s ‘The Rubaiyat’ that was found in the backseat of an unlocked vehicle and on the back of the book was scrawled five lines of capital letters that seem to be a code. To this day, the entire case remains one of Australia’s most bizarre mysteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnPql...eature=related
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:50 AM
Chief Inspector

Jason,
Some time ago I did make mention of the Somerton man on these boards.I live in Adelaide,and quite recently the case was aired in the local paper,'The Advertiser'.I have studied the case,and there are some avenues,if followed ,might yet produce results.One particular mistake when reproducing the code,is to suggest that all of it was written in block capitals.My impression is that the last three letters are in script,signifying that he added his signature at the end of a message.G.A.B.
I'll email it if you are interested.I go along with the first impressions of the police that the man was a sailor.
Regards.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Commisioner

Yes, I remember discussing this interesting case on here, possibly before crash. That occasion was the first I'd heard of it.

Stan Reid
Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Sergeant

Harry, if you could pm me further information I would appreciate it.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Commisioner

I suppose we can start off with what we know:

The man was an adult Caucasian male who was not Jewish.

He was alive at or near Somerton Beach on November 30 of 1948 and was dead there December 1, the next day.

We know many other things of course, like he was neatly dressed and in good physical condition, but those first two are the basics.

Stan Reid
Old 02-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Commisioner

Moving along to conjecture:

Could the man have been motioning the couple for help, to which they didn't respond, when they saw him raise his arm on the beach the evening before?

Could the man have been an athlete, like a wrestler, since he had a muscular build but bore no signs of physical labor, such as callouses?

Torn paper is sometimes used by spies to confirm identification.

The improvised sharp instruments remind me of something you'd see in a prison but nothing like a spy would carry.

The man's money, luggage and clothing indicated that he was above the class of a transient, that is unless they were acquired through thievery.

The woman's connection to the two men with the two like books is too much to be reasonably put down as coincidence. She gave one book to the known man and her phone number was in the book connected to the unknown deceased man.

Stan Reid

Last edited by sdreid : 02-06-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Chief Inspector

Jason,
If you go through the short you tube videos,I hadn't saw those before so thanks for the information,You will see a photo of the original message.It's the last three letters that appear to me to be a signature.They are joined,the others are not,and the B has an extended finish.It could be significant,as the army officers initials were A B.Alf Boxall.
Stan,
The assumption has always been that the dead man wrote the message,but that may not be.One might believe that he would have simply put the pencil back in his pocket through habit,but no writing implement was found.There is no doubt the book was in the possession of the dead man up untill it was thrown into the car,but is there a possibility that there was a third copy of the book which was not disclosed by the nurse and the officer.As you say they figure in it somewhere,and in a way that was not disclosed.
It was thought that the instruments signified a deck officer,possibly a third officer,but I would include a bosun.
As to the cause of death,I have a theory on that.He could have been a diabetic,who suffered a 'Hypo"and with no help,lapsed into a coma and died.My wife has twice been in that condition,but luckily I have been present and noticed the symptoms.
Jason's post has reawakened my interest,so Iwill attempt to put everything down on paper,as I see it.Will take time,there is a lot to say,but I think some of the 'Mystery" can be explained,and a way in which he might be identified.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:05 AM
Commisioner

With all the internal bleeding, I wonder if the man could have been poisoned with the anticoagulant warfarin which was an ingredient in rat poison in 1948.

Stan Reid
Old 02-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Chief Inspector

Stan,Jason,
I had a phone conversation today with the author of"The unknown man".He is a former state police detective who had some association with investigations at a latter date.I hope to soon receive his book.One thing he told me.It was not a secret pocket.It is what some know as a fob pocket,common at that time,and still in use today in certain makes of trousers.Situated near the waist band,and just to the right of the fly.It was overlooked but not hidden.
I'll hold further opinion till I have read the book ,but just this one observation.Why keep those two words?Possibly because he didn't know their meaning,and being curious,just detached and kept that small piece of paper with the idea of learning the meaning when a suitable occassion arose.If I am correct,that might imply that he was not,at the time of detaching the paper,considering suicide.
Regards,
Harry.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreid View Post
With all the internal bleeding, I wonder if the man could have been poisoned with the anticoagulant warfarin which was an ingredient in rat poison in 1948.
I think that the poison was suggested as digitalis. Warfarin would have taken a few days to work, and have produced bleeding from the nose and gums.

I was fascinated to read that the man had incredibly unusual ears -and was it teeth (I can't remember !) ? Supposedly the woman's son had the same
particularities, after photographs..

What a shame that we can't judge for ourselves whether the last is true !
I'll take that bit with a pinch of salt.

The man has a look of my Hungarian friend...