Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack the Ripper is an extremely rare serial killer

Hi,

Just wondering - how many of you out there know that Jack the Ripper is an extremely rare serial killer?

Research shows that his modus operandi is very unusual. For example Keppel et al (2005) has shown that the murders of this serial killer were linked by distinct personal signature characteristics.

They compared his murders to a 1981-1995 cohort of 3359 homicide cases in the US. The signature characteristics displayed in the murders of Jack the Ripper was found to be extremely rare.

There were only 6-8 cases where they found partly similar signatures in the whole cohort of 3359 cases.

So what do you think about this? And do you think it can effect the search for him and the research about him? How and why?

Pierre

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    Hi,

Just wondering - how many of you out there know that Jack the Ripper is an extremely rare serial killer?

Research shows that his modus operandi is very unusual. For example Keppel et al (2005) has shown that the murders of this serial killer were linked by distinct personal signature characteristics.

They compared his murders to a 1981-1995 cohort of 3359 homicide cases in the US. The signature characteristics displayed in the murders of Jack the Ripper was found to be extremely rare.

There were only 6-8 cases where they found partly similar signatures in the whole cohort of 3359 cases.

So what do you think about this? And do you think it can effect the search for him and the research about him? How and why?

Pierre
    Hi Pierre
    yes. as im sure most people on here also know.

Post mortem serial killers are very rare and ones who dissect and remove internal organs are rarer still. in fact, I don't know of any other serial killer who is very similar to the ripper.

Regarding last question-search and research suspects who may have had the background to carry out such activity. ie-doctors, field surgens, hunters, butchers etc.

personally, I think the ripper must have had at least human internal anatomical experience and probably some kind of medical surgical background.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

My opinion is that death wasn't required. The cutting, piercing and slashing is what the point. He killed his victims because it was easier to do that way.

I admit my opinion is based on three lines from the movie "Silence of the Lambs"

Lecter: What does he do, this man you seek?
      Claire: He kills women.
      Lecter: No. That is purely incidental. HE CUTS.
      Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

My opinion is that the killing was an act of punishment.The rest an act of grandstanding.

Comment

Hi,

Pierre
          Hi Pierre,

I think it means it is highly unlikely that more than one killer (or just possibly a pair of killers working together) was responsible for all the Whitechapel mutilation murders from 1888 to 1891.

Love,

Caz
          X
          "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
            My opinion is that death wasn't required. The cutting, piercing and slashing is what the point. He killed his victims because it was easier to do that way.

I admit my opinion is based on three lines from the movie "Silence of the Lambs"

Lecter: What does he do, this man you seek?
            Claire: He kills women.
            Lecter: No. That is purely incidental. HE CUTS.
            Close enough, Sir John. What Lecter actually says is that he covets...

Comment

Hi,

Pierre
              I've cited the Keppel study myself on several occasions, and whilst I consider it useful a degree of caution is required. Thus, Keppel argues that picquerism is a main component of JtR's signature. That conclusion is problematic because it's at least questionable as to whether picquerism actually exists, I.e as a clearly defined mental health condition: see for example Frances and First, 2011. It has also been argued by Eratta that sadism is a fundamental characteristic of picquerism, but I would personally doubt that JtR was a sadist.

Keppel also concludes that pre-planning and the posing of the victims were signature characteristics, but I think that's also questionable. Another conclusion was that JtR focussed his attack on the genital area, however, in Tabram's case the overwhelming majority of the stab wounds were in the upper part of the body and, considering she was stabbed 39 times in an apparent frenzy, wounds to the lower portion of the body may have been incidental.

Regarding the rarity of the crimes, this is based on data from the HITS database, which applies to Washington State (it also assumes that Keppel was correct in his signature analysis). However, we cannot assume that contemporary data derived from a relatively sparsely populated, and largely rural, north-western American state would be equally applicable to a late Victorian, densely populated, English metropolis, i.e London.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Hi Pierre
                yes. as im sure most people on here also know.

Post mortem serial killers are very rare and ones who dissect and remove internal organs are rarer still. in fact, I don't know of any other serial killer who is very similar to the ripper.

Regarding last question-search and research suspects who may have had the background to carry out such activity. ie-doctors, field surgens, hunters, butchers etc.

personally, I think the ripper must have had at least human internal anatomical experience and probably some kind of medical surgical background.
                Hi Abby,

Medical surgical background?" Just like Francis Thompson then, who trained as a surgeon for several years. Sorry Abby, I just couldn't resist being mischievous!

Comment

"Regarding the rarity of the crimes, this is based on data from the HITS database, which applies to Washington State (it also assumes that Keppel was correct in his signature analysis). However, we cannot assume that contemporary data derived from a relatively sparsely populated, and largely rural, north-western American state would be equally applicable to a late Victorian, densely populated, English metropolis, i.e London."

I agree.

C4

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                    Hi Pierre,

I think it means it is highly unlikely that more than one killer (or just possibly a pair of killers working together) was responsible for all the Whitechapel mutilation murders from 1888 to 1891.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    Very intelligent thinking. Congratulations.

Best regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                      "Regarding the rarity of the crimes, this is based on data from the HITS database, which applies to Washington State (it also assumes that Keppel was correct in his signature analysis). However, we cannot assume that contemporary data derived from a relatively sparsely populated, and largely rural, north-western American state would be equally applicable to a late Victorian, densely populated, English metropolis, i.e London."

I agree.

C4
                      Of course.

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post

I agree.

C4
                        And that seems to be a reoccurring mistake made by many who look at the case, applying modern standards and conditions ton1888 East End and drawing conclusions based in current conditions.
                        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                          Close enough, Sir John. What Lecter actually says is that he covets...
                          Oops. My English wasn't that good at the time. Need to watch it again.
                          Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Hi,

Pierre
                            I don't doubt these findings, but is there a link to this research? I think it would be an interesting read.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                              And that seems to be a reoccurring mistake made by many who look at the case, applying modern standards and conditions ton1888 East End and drawing conclusions based in current conditions.
                              Agree. And we donīt have data for serial killers in 19th century UK.

Regards Pierre

Comment

Working...
                              X