Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (11 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (9 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (7 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: Lechmere was Jack the Ripper - (5 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre square, very upsetting! - (1 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Old 07-18-2018, 06:25 AM
Superintendent

Hi all,

I thought that Id post this. Its an email that I received last night from an American friend. Its her opinion of Trump and his administration. She lives in Ohio, is middle-aged, shes university educated and shes neither well-off or living on the breadline. Im unaware if shes a lifelong Republican voter but she certainly voted for Trump. Ive always found her opinions well thought out, calm and reasoned.

On behalf of the United States of America, let me just apologize to the Mother Country for our current leadership.* We've had great Presidents, we've had above-average ones . .we've had adequate ones and a few sub-par ones--but Mr. Trump stands alone as the singularly most ignorant, unqualified narcissistic buffoon to ever hold public office.*

I voted for him.* At the time he was deemed by those of us who despise Hillary Clinton as the lesser of two evils. We really were in an untenable position.* We hoped that he would rise to the challenge of his office, once he was securely in office, and learn how to take advice from people who know what they are talking about.* Candidate Trump had not revealed the bottomless depths of his ignorance then, and it says something for the sorry state of our political landscape that at the time that *no one* out of a massive field of Republican candidates could beat his guy.* He would flunk a 3rd grade history test.* He grew up wealthy, with a rich father who could afford to buy his kid's way into the best schools, and bribe anybody he needed to pass Little Donald to graduation.* It appears that in addition to Narcissistic Personality Disorder--a sure marker for sociopathy--the Donald may also have more garden-variety learning difficulties as well.* And Tourette's Syndrome, quite possibly.* He is a shame to the office and is a living embodiment of the failure of our two-party system.*

I actually support the Electoral College, which in more normal circumstances works just fine.* The College was devised by our founders to ostensibly ensure that citizens in the sparsely populated rural areas of this vast country got a proportionally equal say in their elected government and the entire country did not end up being dictated to by elitist rule from the residents of the biggest cities, then New York and Philadelphia.* Rural economies and concerns are different than those in the metropolitan areas.* The results of the popular vote and the Electoral College coincide the majority of the time, but when they do not, as in 2000 and again in 2016 and a few other times in our history, there is a cry by the losing side (generally Democrats) to throw out the EC.* On the face of it it *seems* like straight numbers are more democratic because 'majority rules', right?** But raw numbers alone do not necessarily reflect the will of the people.* Ohio is the 6th most populous state at 11.66 million people, but if you add* New York City, Chicago and L.A*together, those three cities still top it.* So those three cities are more populous than 44 U.S. states.* That's what the numbers say.*If we went by the raw numbers, then the residents of New York City, Chicago and Hollywood would dictate the outcome of every single Presidential election, going way back, because those areas have always been the most heavily populated.* People who gravitate to these big cities tend to share the same values and politics--but they do not reflect how the rest of the country is thinking.* When the constitution was devised, Chicago and L.A. hadn't even been reached for settlement yet, but the founding fathers were far-thinking and could envision that coming to pass.

Usually it works out much better than this.* The Donald is an anomaly in every conceivable way, kind of like an horrific meteorological event that occurs once in 150 years and causes devastation in its wake.** The founding fathers had not counted upon there being such a breakdown in the fabric of society that a certifiably insane man would be elected to the highest office in the land.* After DT's travesty of a performance with Putin and in the UK, even the members of the GOP who were still supporting him are disavowing him.* We may be headed for an impeachment.* Trump has taken a bigger dump all over the office of the Presidency than even Richard Nixon did with Watergate.* Ai yi yi . . it's embarrassing to be American right now.

Herlock

"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:31 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
The patter-song that just keeps giving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-LTRwZb35A
Hey Sam,
I have just got round to watching this.

It's brilliant, thnks for making my day.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
Hi all,

I thought that Id post this. Its an email that I received last night from an American friend. Its her opinion of Trump and his administration. She lives in Ohio, is middle-aged, shes university educated and shes neither well-off or living on the breadline. Im unaware if shes a lifelong Republican voter but she certainly voted for Trump. Ive always found her opinions well thought out, calm and reasoned.

On behalf of the United States of America, let me just apologize to the Mother Country for our current leadership.* We've had great Presidents, we've had above-average ones . .we've had adequate ones and a few sub-par ones--but Mr. Trump stands alone as the singularly most ignorant, unqualified narcissistic buffoon to ever hold public office.*

I voted for him.* At the time he was deemed by those of us who despise Hillary Clinton as the lesser of two evils. We really were in an untenable position.* We hoped that he would rise to the challenge of his office, once he was securely in office, and learn how to take advice from people who know what they are talking about.* Candidate Trump had not revealed the bottomless depths of his ignorance then, and it says something for the sorry state of our political landscape that at the time that *no one* out of a massive field of Republican candidates could beat his guy.* He would flunk a 3rd grade history test.* He grew up wealthy, with a rich father who could afford to buy his kid's way into the best schools, and bribe anybody he needed to pass Little Donald to graduation.* It appears that in addition to Narcissistic Personality Disorder--a sure marker for sociopathy--the Donald may also have more garden-variety learning difficulties as well.* And Tourette's Syndrome, quite possibly.* He is a shame to the office and is a living embodiment of the failure of our two-party system.*

I actually support the Electoral College, which in more normal circumstances works just fine.* The College was devised by our founders to ostensibly ensure that citizens in the sparsely populated rural areas of this vast country got a proportionally equal say in their elected government and the entire country did not end up being dictated to by elitist rule from the residents of the biggest cities, then New York and Philadelphia.* Rural economies and concerns are different than those in the metropolitan areas.* The results of the popular vote and the Electoral College coincide the majority of the time, but when they do not, as in 2000 and again in 2016 and a few other times in our history, there is a cry by the losing side (generally Democrats) to throw out the EC.* On the face of it it *seems* like straight numbers are more democratic because 'majority rules', right?** But raw numbers alone do not necessarily reflect the will of the people.* Ohio is the 6th most populous state at 11.66 million people, but if you add* New York City, Chicago and L.A*together, those three cities still top it.* So those three cities are more populous than 44 U.S. states.* That's what the numbers say.*If we went by the raw numbers, then the residents of New York City, Chicago and Hollywood would dictate the outcome of every single Presidential election, going way back, because those areas have always been the most heavily populated.* People who gravitate to these big cities tend to share the same values and politics--but they do not reflect how the rest of the country is thinking.* When the constitution was devised, Chicago and L.A. hadn't even been reached for settlement yet, but the founding fathers were far-thinking and could envision that coming to pass.

Usually it works out much better than this.* The Donald is an anomaly in every conceivable way, kind of like an horrific meteorological event that occurs once in 150 years and causes devastation in its wake.** The founding fathers had not counted upon there being such a breakdown in the fabric of society that a certifiably insane man would be elected to the highest office in the land.* After DT's travesty of a performance with Putin and in the UK, even the members of the GOP who were still supporting him are disavowing him.* We may be headed for an impeachment.* Trump has taken a bigger dump all over the office of the Presidency than even Richard Nixon did with Watergate.* Ai yi yi . . it's embarrassing to be American right now.
I think what she is saying Herlock is that democracy is a clumsy thing.

It's the best thing we have, but it's still clumsy.

People sometimes get it wrong (Britain voted Thatcher in for 3 terms).

It's ironic that any Democrat candidate apart from Hillary would have defeated Trump, and Hillary would probably have defeated any other candidate but Trump.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:13 AM
Cadet

So why not just let anybody stand? I mean why does there have to be just ONE candidate per party. They way I see it, the real elections are the primaries and once they are decided, the actual election takes place in just a handful of swing states. Sounds like a system that has not withstood the test of time to me...
Old 07-18-2018, 05:06 PM
Detective

Quote:
The College was devised by our founders to ostensibly ensure that citizens in the sparsely populated rural areas of this vast country got a proportionally equal say in their elected government and the entire country did not end up being dictated to by elitist rule from the residents of the biggest cities, then New York and Philadelphia
Hi Herlock. Uh, not really. That is indeed what they taught us in civics class in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s (without the catch phrase 'elitist') but a more accurate way of stating it is that the electoral college was devised to protect the interests of the South. Even in the 1780s the founders were wrestling with the idea of slavery, and the South knew that if the national elections were based on a popular vote, the northern candidates would always win. The college was thus devised to appease the worries of the South, who obviously wanted to retain a President friendly to slavery. It 'worked' for approximately 80 years but eventually ended in the bloodiest war in U.S. history. Source: Harvard University elitists.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:18 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpalmer View Post
Hi Herlock. Uh, not really. That is indeed what they taught us in civics class in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s (without the catch phrase 'elitist') but a more accurate way of stating it is that the electoral college was devised to protect the interests of the South. Even in the 1780s the founders were wrestling with the idea of slavery, and the South knew that if the national elections were based on a popular vote, the northern candidates would always win. The college was thus devised to appease the worries of the South, who obviously wanted to retain a President friendly to slavery. It 'worked' for approximately 80 years but eventually ended in the bloodiest war in U.S. history. Source: Harvard University elitists.
Hi RJ,

I cant debate the point with you as I didnt make it in the first place. Im afraid that I know nothing about American politics. I was just interested to hear an opinion of Trump from someone that actually voted for him. I have spoken, either online or in person, to around a dozen people that voted for Trump and every single one of them regrets their decision. I genuinely believe that we have a mentally ill and dangerous President Of The United States.

Herlock

Old 07-19-2018, 02:23 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
I think what she is saying Herlock is that democracy is a clumsy thing.

It's the best thing we have, but it's still clumsy.

It's ironic that any Democrat candidate apart from Hillary would have defeated Trump, and Hillary would probably have defeated any other candidate but Trump.
True Bat

Its difficult to understand how anyone can look at Trump and say this is a top man! Jaws drop every time that he opens his mouth. If hed have been a character in Dr Strangelove critics would have said that he was too weird.

Herlock

Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 AM
Detective

Quote:
If hed have been a character in Dr Strangelove critics would have said that he was too weird.
If he was a character in Dr. Strangelove it certainly wouldn't have been the George C. Scott character wrestling Peter Bull in the War Room. Instead he'd be serving Bull poached eggs and giving him a foot rub. At Helskinki Trump looked weak, scared, and, in a word, compromised. It damaged his mystique, but whether enough to wake up the sleeping, I don't know.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:41 PM
Detective

Quote:
Jim Callaghan.

Michael Foot.

Neil Kinnock.

Uh huh.

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:02 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorDave View Post
Jim Callaghan.

Michael Foot.

Neil Kinnock.

Uh huh.
Foot and Kinnock were never voted into office and, if memory serves, Callaghan only became PM because Wilson resigned. The only election he took part in as leader he lost to The Witch.

Herlock