Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Michael W Richards 34 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Sam Flynn 5 hours ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by Wickerman 12 hours ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by Robert 14 hours ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by MrBarnett 14 hours ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by Debra A 15 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - (16 posts)
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (5 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Did Mary Kelly meet the Bethnal Green Botherer? - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Will the Whitechapel Murders ever be solved?
Yes 4 13.33%
No 26 86.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-19-2018, 11:03 PM
Kattrup Kattrup is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Denmark
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
It´s Larkins, not Larkin, Kattrup.
Yes, forgot the S, sorry
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-20-2018, 12:09 AM
DirectorDave DirectorDave is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 333
Default

__________________
My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-20-2018, 01:45 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is online now
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 11,459
Default

Nice one, Dave

You've been a bit kind on the early years, though, as there was a fair bit of bull$hit surrounding the case from the outset.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-20-2018, 01:52 AM
DirectorDave DirectorDave is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Kingdom of Fife, Scotland, UK.
Posts: 333
Default

The time axis has no limit Sam, I think it works pretty well for day one!
__________________
My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Busy Beaver Busy Beaver is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West Lothian
Posts: 136
Default

Spot on Dave.
I often wondered if any one asked the Kray twins or any other older East End gangster, if they had a hunch who the Ripper was.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-24-2018, 03:16 PM
Bridewell Bridewell is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bottesford, Leicestershire
Posts: 3,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Beaver View Post
Spot on Dave.
I often wondered if any one asked the Kray twins or any other older East End gangster, if they had a hunch who the Ripper was.
I did speak to Reggie once on the 'phone - never thought to ask him.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-20-2018, 01:08 AM
Karl Karl is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattrup View Post
Sorry, I just meant he confessed to a specific murder, that does not rule out that he murdered others
But it doesn't mean he did, either. Indeed, it doesn't even mean he killed the person he confessed to have killed. But if his confession were true, and he was the Ripper (which is a pretty huge leap), why confess to only one murder? And the least brutal one, at that?

You say that murders involving cut throats were rare in Denmark. Well, not quite so rare in London. But do we know that this alleged murder even took place in London? If he was a sailor, this murder could have taken place in any port town, anywhere in the world. Why tie him to Whitechapel? What are the details of his confession?

Hansen being a cattle driver is of no importance. The reason Larkins suspected Portugese cattle drivers had nothing to do with their profession, but rather with the fact that they were there at the time.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-20-2018, 01:10 PM
Herlock Sholmes Herlock Sholmes is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: The West Midlands
Posts: 2,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
I did speak to Reggie once on the 'phone - never thought to ask him.
Colin, I hope that you decided to order your pizza’s elsewhere if that’s who answered.
__________________
Regards

Herlock






"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact!"
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-21-2018, 06:11 PM
Mayerling Mayerling is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Flushing, New York
Posts: 2,761
Unhappy

Sorry, but I feel less and less sure it will be solved. But it has opened up so many hitherto underdiscussed areas of Victorian history (mainly dealing with the poorer citizens, or the police) that the emphasis can lead us into further and further probing in these areas. In fact, I always felt the subject would have been better named for Whitechapel, or the East End, or the Victims, instead of giving a partial publicity victory to the killer by calling it "Ripperology"

This doesn't mean ignoring known or possibly interesting suspects - their lives may have something to tell us too. But would one really like to call the murder by poisoned strychnine tablets in Stepney and Lambeth in 1891 - 92, "Creamianology"?

Jeff
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-21-2018, 11:24 PM
Kattrup Kattrup is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Denmark
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
But it doesn't mean he did, either. Indeed, it doesn't even mean he killed the person he confessed to have killed. But if his confession were true, and he was the Ripper (which is a pretty huge leap), why confess to only one murder? And the least brutal one, at that?

You say that murders involving cut throats were rare in Denmark. Well, not quite so rare in London. But do we know that this alleged murder even took place in London? If he was a sailor, this murder could have taken place in any port town, anywhere in the world. Why tie him to Whitechapel? What are the details of his confession?

Hansen being a cattle driver is of no importance. The reason Larkins suspected Portugese cattle drivers had nothing to do with their profession, but rather with the fact that they were there at the time.
Yes, you’re right - as said, I’ve yet to even place him near England in 1888, so I’ll concede that he’s not topping the suspect lists

He’s just an interesting case I came across and hope to learn more about. The murder he allegedly confessed to happened in Denmark. There were no abdominal mutilations, which of course rules him out as the ripper to most people.
The cattle driver reference is simply interesting because it was a contemporary theory about the murderer. I know Larkins was interested in portuguese men, and I don’t know that Hansen actually worked as a cattle driver in 1888, but hey, details.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.