Albert Cadosch & His Place Of Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Cadosch & His Place Of Work

In his testimony Cadosch said that, when he left home to go to work, he noted the time by the clock on the Spitalfields Church, by which I assume he meant Christ Church. To do this he presumably crossed to the far side of Commercial Street, but I can't take it any further than that.
    I know he started off as a "Glass Cutter" (presumably working in his father's business), but, at the time of the Chapman inquest, he was a "Carpenter". I remember seeing, in one of the newspaper reports of his testimony, that he supposedly worked in Shoe Lane near Fleet Street. Does anybody know if this is right, where he worked, or who he worked for? Shoe Lane seems like a long walk for someone who had recently undergone surgery. Any suggestions gratefuly received.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
    In his testimony Cadosch said that, when he left home to go to work, he noted the time by the clock on the Spitalfields Church, by which I assume he meant Christ Church. To do this he presumably crossed to the far side of Commercial Street, but I can't take it any further than that.
    I know he started off as a "Glass Cutter" (presumably working in his father's business), but, at the time of the Chapman inquest, he was a "Carpenter". I remember seeing, in one of the newspaper reports of his testimony, that he supposedly worked in Shoe Lane near Fleet Street. Does anybody know if this is right, where he worked, or who he worked for? Shoe Lane seems like a long walk for someone who had recently undergone surgery. Any suggestions gratefuly received.
    The following press report gets his name wrong but confirms your information about where Cadosch worked:

"On visiting the house next door to the tragedy, 27, our representative saw Mr. Albert Cadosen [sic], a carpenter, who resides there and works in Shoe-lane, Fleet-street." Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper, September 9, 1888, here in the press section of Casebook.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Thanks, Chris. I was sure I'd seen it somewhere. It does seem a long way for him to have travelled to work, but I guess there were omnibuses etc. which might have assisted.

Comment

Thanks, Chris. I was sure I'd seen it somewhere. It does seem a long way for him to have travelled to work, but I guess there were omnibuses etc. which might have assisted.
        Hi Bridewell

Yes but I am not sure omnibuses would have been running at that hour in the morning. There's also the underground of course as well. Again, I am not sure when the trains would start running. Maybe somebody else might know?

Chris
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
          Hi Bridewell

Yes but I am not sure omnibuses would have been running at that hour in the morning. There's also the underground of course as well. Again, I am not sure when the trains would start running. Maybe somebody else might know?

Chris
          London omnibuses at the time generally rolled their first car out of the yard around 7:30am, per "The Horse World of London" (W.J. Gordon, Religious Tract Society, London, 1893).

If you look at the timetable at http://www.victorianlondon.org/dickens/om8.png (reproduced from "Dickens Dictionary of London", Charles Dickens, Dickens & Evans, London, 1879), you can see that the Stratford to Regent Circus route on the Bow and Stratford line would have answered poor Mr. Cadosche's needs admirably, except that it did not commence service until 8am. It would have cost him 4d to ride in 1879, and presumably not much (if any) more in 1888. The two Bow to Oxford routes in http://www.victorianlondon.org/dickens/om1.png began at 7:15 and 7:30 - earlier than most, but still too late for Mr. Cadosche, assuming that he'd risen at 5:30 because he needed to set out at that time to get to his job on time. If, on the other hand, he was just up early because of his medical troubles, and if he could afford it, he might well have ridden the 'bus to and from work.

Note that the "Dickens Dictionary" was revised once a year (it's really more a guidebook and almanac) so that there does exist an 1888 version, which would presumably include actual omnibus schedules for that year. This is what I could find online, though.

-Ginger
          - Ginger

Comment

Excellent info, Ginger, thanks. Questions like this crop up all the time around here, so please hang around.

Comment

Ironically enough Shoe Lane is being taken in during this years London Job.

When Rob, JB and I did a reccy late last year we concluded it is a shorter walk than others we have done. Shoe Lane is walkable from Hanbury St, via Brushfield st/Liverpool St station way.

We must bear in mind that whilst Cadoshe had surgery, we are not fully aware how it effected him.

Anyways, I think its walkable and in reasonable time.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                Excellent info, Ginger, thanks. Questions like this crop up all the time around here, so please hang around.
                Thank you! I'm intending to.

-Ginger
                - Ginger

Comment

Yes Please

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                  I second that. Welcome to the Boards, Ginger & thanks for posting such an informed addition to this thread.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                    When Rob, JB and I did a reccy late last year we concluded it is a shorter walk than others we have done. Shoe Lane is walkable from Hanbury St, via Brushfield st/Liverpool St station way.
                    Monty
                    Well done ! interesting. Reeves, for example, used to walk from George Yard to the docks. Would it be longer ?

Comment

I second that. Welcome to the Boards, Ginger & thanks for posting such an informed addition to this thread.
                      Thank you! I hope to be able to contribute further in future.

-Ginger
                      - Ginger

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                        Thank you! I hope to be able to contribute further in future.

-Ginger
                        Please do. It does get quite heated at times on here, by the way, so I hope your blood pressure is reasonably stable!

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
                          Note that the "Dickens Dictionary" was revised once a year (it's really more a guidebook and almanac) so that there does exist an 1888 version, which would presumably include actual omnibus schedules for that year. This is what I could find online, though.-Ginger
                          If anyone is interested a very nice edition of Dickens's Dictionary of London 1888 is published by Old House Books - www.OldHouseBooks.co.uk - along with Dickens's Dictionary of the Thames 1887. Heavily discounted editions are available on Amazon and there is a discount book chain called The Works where both books were available for a few pounds each, although I have noticed the stock dwindle in my local branch.

Comment

If Cadosch's place of work was on Shoe Lane, Fleet Street and his address was 27, Hanbury Street, Spitalfields, why was he, according to (I think) Lloyds Weekly, claiming his train fare from Enfield, on the days when he attended the Chapman inquest?

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

Working...
                            X