Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For me only 2 suspects stand out...

Hello everyone and happy new year.

I last posted around a year or so ago. Since then I've been reading just about anything relating to JtR; in published books, plus reading through this excellent resource, on other sites across the web and watching TV and DVD documentaries.

For me (and this is just my opinion as a layman, not an expert) the only 2 creditable suspects in no particular order are:

1. George Harrison
    2. Charles Lechmere

Why should these two stand out from the rest you ask? Well let's be honest many of the "rest" are farcical suspects, and that's putting it mildly, several in my opinion have only been written about to sell books - lets leave it at that.

a. Harrison and Lechmere have quite a lot in common; both were seen at the
    relevant murder site at the right time - this is irrefutable and makes them suspects alone, add to that the way both men acted in the post-murder periods and they become prime suspects. This fact makes these two suspects unique. For me this makes them more credible than any other suspects.

b. Both interacted with the police in very strange ways; Harrison waited until after the inquest to come forward and then produced a very incredible piece of evidence relating to the description of the man (he allegedly saw), that in detail bordered on the ridiculous when you take into account that he had no need to remember the man and also add on the effect of darkness and pretty poorly lit streets. There are two possible explanations in my book; 1. he was the killer and wanted to mislead the police or 2. he was a paid accomplice of the real killer given money by him to watch over the entrance to Millers Court, in which case his description would have been good if he'd interacted with him as accomplice.
    In Lechmere's case we can be pretty certain that he misled the police on two significant counts as I understand it; 1. by not giving the correct name by which he was known, and 2. by saying that there was a policeman waiting at the scene.

c. Does anybody know of cast iron alibi's for these two suspects regarding the remaining murders (aside from Nicholls and Kelly), for either of these two men?

d. What became of them both after the final canonical murder? Did the horrific slaying and "ripping" of Kelly finally sate the killer, or was it instead because the murderer was known to the police and he felt that he was under observation and desisted with that unique style of crime? Or perhaps he felt Whitechapel was too hot and hence moved on.

If one of this pair wasn't JtR then I think the killer was a MR A. Unknown.

I'm pretty sure Ringo gave Harrison a solid alibi.

(Don't you mean Hutchinson?)
    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

I think George was at Abbey Road on the dates of the murders.

Comment

Originally posted by eighty-eighter View Post
        Hello everyone and happy new year.

I last posted around a year or so ago. Since then I've been reading just about anything relating to JtR; in published books, plus reading through this excellent resource, on other sites across the web and watching TV and DVD documentaries.

For me (and this is just my opinion as a layman, not an expert) the only 2 creditable suspects in no particular order are:

1. George Harrison
        2. Charles Lechmere

Why should these two stand out from the rest you ask? Well let's be honest many of the "rest" are farcical suspects, and that's putting it mildly, several in my opinion have only been written about to sell books - lets leave it at that.

a. Harrison and Lechmere have quite a lot in common; both were seen at the
        relevant murder site at the right time - this is irrefutable and makes them suspects alone, add to that the way both men acted in the post-murder periods and they become prime suspects. This fact makes these two suspects unique. For me this makes them more credible than any other suspects.

b. Both interacted with the police in very strange ways; Harrison waited until after the inquest to come forward and then produced a very incredible piece of evidence relating to the description of the man (he allegedly saw), that in detail bordered on the ridiculous when you take into account that he had no need to remember the man and also add on the effect of darkness and pretty poorly lit streets. There are two possible explanations in my book; 1. he was the killer and wanted to mislead the police or 2. he was a paid accomplice of the real killer given money by him to watch over the entrance to Millers Court, in which case his description would have been good if he'd interacted with him as accomplice.
        In Lechmere's case we can be pretty certain that he misled the police on two significant counts as I understand it; 1. by not giving the correct name by which he was known, and 2. by saying that there was a policeman waiting at the scene.

c. Does anybody know of cast iron alibi's for these two suspects regarding the remaining murders (aside from Nicholls and Kelly), for either of these two men?

d. What became of them both after the final canonical murder? Did the horrific slaying and "ripping" of Kelly finally sate the killer, or was it instead because the murderer was known to the police and he felt that he was under observation and desisted with that unique style of crime? Or perhaps he felt Whitechapel was too hot and hence moved on.

If one of this pair wasn't JtR then I think the killer was a MR A. Unknown.
        Hi 88er
        I think both are viable candidates and are actually very similar in their circumstances but I give the nod to Hutch.
        Mainly because of his stalking behavior and because he knew mary Kelly and where she lived and was one of the last people to see her alive.

Neither have alibis for the other murders including McKenzie in 1889. Not only that but there is a growing idea that the torso victims were also killed by the ripper. Especially torso victim Elizabeth Jackson, who had flaps of skin removed from her abdomen in an uncanny similarity to Kelly and Chapman. Both men have no alibis and were still in the area for not only her murder but also the Pinchon Street torso victim, which was the last.

Coincidently, a recent article in ripperology points to a new discovery that a George Hutchinson left London for Australia shortly after the Pinchon torso was discovered and was later charged with a sex crime there. I think there is good chance this is the same hutch and he matches well with the ripper also.

IMHO the two least weak suspects are hutch and blotchy, with handful of others, including lech further down the possibility scale.

Comment

Originally posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
          I'm pretty sure Ringo gave Harrison a solid alibi.

(Don't you mean Hutchinson?)
          Yeah but Ringo didn't give his real name, nor for that matter did Paul, you may be onto something.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

George Harrison is prolly a dark horse.
            My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by eighty-eighter View Post
              Harrison waited until after the inquest to come forward and then produced a very incredible piece of evidence relating to the description of the man (he allegedly saw), that in detail bordered on the ridiculous when you take into account that he had no need to remember the man and also add on the effect of darkness and pretty poorly lit streets. There are two possible explanations in my book; 1. he was the killer and wanted to mislead the police or 2. he was a paid accomplice of the real killer given money by him to watch over the entrance to Millers Court, in which case his description would have been good if he'd interacted with him as accomplice.
              Happy New year! You're thinking of Hutchinson, I'm sure. If you're interested in his post-1888 career, there's an excellent in-depth article on the subject in the October issue of "Ripperologist" (issue #146). Best wishes!
              - Ginger

Comment

Lechmere is such an overblown 'suspect'.

Comment

Lechmere and Hutchinson are both witnesses. What about someone like Bury a proven murderer and mutilator.

Comment

all those years ago

Hello 88. George Harrison may well have done it, but it will be difficult to prove. After all, the murders happened all those years ago.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

My Sweet Lord... can't anyone be serious on here

Steadmund Brand
                      "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Isn't It A Pity that we'll never know for sure...

Steadmund Brand's brother
                        "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Something has to give.

Maybe it was the Taxman.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I think other people have done a lot of research on George, if you've got your mind set on him.

It's really like the gift that keeps on giving, isn't it?
                            The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

If it was Harrison, wouldn't he have used one of his axes (maybe the one Les made) rather than a knife (muso joke).

Or maybe he did and that's why his guitar gently weeps.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X