No announcement yet.

"From Hell" starring Johnny Depp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"From Hell" had great atmosphere...but I think "Murder By Decree" is a better movie...

As for Johnny Depp and his visions, I think that the writers were combining him and Robert Lees together...

And have you ever noticed in these films, that all hookers look like Heather Graham?

BTW...does anyone know where I can find a copy of the script for "From Hell?" I have the comic book, and the movie, and I want to complete my collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Gman992 View Post
      As for Johnny Depp and his visions, I think that the writers were combining him and Robert Lees together...
      A really interesting observation, Gman - I never thought of it like that before
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        A really interesting observation, Gman - I never thought of it like that before
        Agreed.
        Now I can see why Depp is such an unviable Abberline.

Amitiés,
        David

Comment

Its a great movie for atmosphere and the attention to detail paid to things like sets,locations and costumes etc. As far as accuracy goes then obviously not, but I think it was clear that they were shooting for entertainment as opposed to historical fact.
          protohistorian-Where would we be without Stewart Evans or Paul Begg,Kieth Skinner, Martin Fido,or Donald Rumbelow?

Sox-Knee deep in Princes & Painters with Fenian ties who did not mutilate the women at the scene, but waited with baited breath outside the mortuary to carry out their evil plots before rushing home for tea with the wife...who would later poison them of course

Comment

Reality

Originally posted by Sox View Post
            Its a great movie for atmosphere and the attention to detail paid to things like sets,locations and costumes etc. As far as accuracy goes then obviously not, but I think it was clear that they were shooting for entertainment as opposed to historical fact.
            Now Sox, you know that hollywood always strives for accuracy- just look at the JFK movie by Oliver Stone. Its being shown in the public schools here in the U.S. like a documentary.

And Johnny Depp- rumor has it that he's going to play Hank Williams Senior in a movie about his life. Can't be worse than George Hamilton in "Your Cheatin' Heart" I guess. God love tinseltown.

Best Wishes,
            Hunter
            Best Wishes,
            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
              Listen here, Covell-Kosminski....the one sure thing we do know about this g-ddamned Case is that no one...no one,you hear me...can afford grapes in the East End. ...
              Hello Howard,

Except possibly the killer, with more money than the woman he killed... and that isn't hard...is it? Perhaps paid for with a florin, a shilling or a tanner, it's luxury to one used to penny's, threepenny pieces, halfpenny's, farthings and groats. We don't KNOW what the killer's economic state was, and can therefore not assume anything. There were, WITHIN the East End, people with fair economy. Lots of them infact.

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

From Hell is on tonight at 10 pm on channel 5, got to be better than watching the usual tripe on telly

Comment

The hanbury street murder location scene in the film is spot on, its as if they filmed it in the actual place, the same goes for the ten bells and Millers court (apart from the interior ) so the film does have its merits.

Comment

As others have said some of the settings are good but as for accuracy it leaves an awful lot to be desired.Although the 88 miniseries with Michael Caine isnt exactly that accurate compared to "from Hell" at least it has the thing in chronological order

Comment

A better version of the story told in "From Hell" is the film "Murder by Decree" made in the 70's, although the villains in the film have had their names changed for some reason, but still enjoyable.

Comment

Hell

Depp is not my first choice to play a hardened cockney copper. Ian Holm however, was very classy and deadly
                        My first post ever in this forum

Comment

Hello you all!

Well, the critics were complaining about Heather Graham not speaking cockney. Why?! Since the original Mary Kelly obviously spoke with an accent mixed with Welsh and Irish...

From Hell does present a rather good movie, but the conlusions are just fiction!

All the best
                          Jukka
                          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Actually they filmed it in Prague...they created a whole entire backlot and used CGI to fill in the background. The Hanbury murder scene was a small narrow backyard. In the movie, it looks like an open field...

Comment

I apologize to any fan, but i hate it more than any other film.... Elizabeth Stride was not a lesbian and the fact that they "made" her a lesbian is really offensive for her and Polly (since she kissed her) That's really pathetic...I mean, she had 2 boyfriends at the same time!

I just wish i could smash the face of whoever had that pathetic idea...

Young girls of Mauthausen,

Young girls of Belsen,

Have you seen my love?

Comment

Johnny D- lovely as ever but come on chaps a fairly crap film apart from some lovely street/Gull scenes. I can never forgive the 'end scene'- FFS the wrong way round was a start!
                                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Working...
                                X