Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen pictures of Stewart Evans on the set of "From Hell"

I always wondered if they bothered to ask him anything

If they did, they must have said "Very interesting facts Stewart, but a bit boring, so we're going to run with the BS version..."

I don't mind any fiction with JtR in it - The Star Trek episode was great! "Time after Time" a good concept with JtR escaping 1888 London via HG Wells' time machine, "Hands of the Ripper" etc so "From Hell" isn't that bad really - great atmosphere and sets, superb characterisation by Ian Holm, as ever, though I thought Depps accent was ridiculous and I've never thought Robbie Coltrane a great actor

I'd recommend it to someone who wishes to see a representation of the Royal Conspiracy theory - you can always rip it to pieces later (non intentional pun there)

I think the general public are very aware of JtR as a multi-faceted fictional character and realise there is much mystery and speculation as to who he was

The more exposure they get to JtR as a character, the more chance they have of garnering an avid interest in the real facts of the case - few as they are

Let's face it, he's got one Hell of a unique reputation - He wasn't voted as "The Worst Briton in History" for nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by Gman992 View Post
      "From Hell" had great atmosphere...but I think "Murder By Decree" is a better movie...
      I liked From Hell, just as a movie that was actually trying to do something other than focus on gory murder, and is was gorgeously designed, and I liked that the female characters were focused on more than usual...then I watched Murder By Decree which I don't find as interesting (aside from Genevieve Bujold's short, flawless performance)....and then I noticed how many elements in From Hell seem to be lifted from that earlier movie!

(SPOILERS)

The grapes, the spelling of "juewes" (sp?) tipping off the link to a Masonic conspiracy, Prince Albert's mistress/wife being rushed off to an asylum, with their baby in jeapordy. It made me think, "Well, there isn't actually much about From Hell that's original, from a plot point of view..."

And have you ever noticed in these films, that all hookers look like Heather Graham?
      I met her once, and she's probably the most physically beautiful person I've ever met in person. It was like a textbook case of what one would find appealing: tall, slim, with long, THICK hair with a natural wave, plumped-up flawless skin, beautifully shaped and colored eyes, full lips....it was kind of hypnotic. She was also quite nice and humble. (this must have been 1997?)

It's strange how stars don't age for us in the same way they experience life, themselves. I spoke to her about Drugstore Cowboy, and how I find it so rare when so many incredible elements like that come together in one film (a good script, and Gus Van Saint, and Matt Dillon - - who's actually an excellent actor). And while she was remembering it she said, "I was so young when I made that, I'm not sure I appreciated it...", and I was thinking, "But I just rewatched you in it last month! Nothing's changed...????" Though of course, it has : )
      Last edited by Merry_Olde_Mary; 07-05-2011, 01:14 AM.

Comment

I've seen pictures of Stewart Evans on the set of "From Hell"
        I always wondered if they bothered to ask him anything
        If they did, they must have said "Very interesting facts Stewart, but a bit boring, so we're going to run with the BS version..."

Films take a long time to bring to fruition and have many separate strands in their make-up.

It was clear to me that as with the Michael Caine 1988 mini-series, considerable research had gone into the sets of "From Hell". I found both quite impressive, although absolute accuracy was hardly their aim.

On the other hand, "From Hell" was a film of a graphic novel - NOT of the case or a history. Thus, it's starting point has to be recognised.

Add to that the inevitable script-changes that occur in any film, and I think accuracy is probably going to be accidental rather than intentional.

Finally, I thought Ian Holm's sleep walked through his performance. He's an actor I have admired from the 60s (when I first saw him as Richard III) but I felt that as Gull he relied on "tricks" that worked, such as the "monster" reaction that he used in Fellowship of the Ring. t was an effective performance, but I don't think Ian put himself out exceptionally.

Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
          Finally, I thought Ian Holm's sleep walked through his performance. He's an actor I have admired from the 60s (when I first saw him as Richard III) but I felt that as Gull he relied on "tricks" that worked, such as the "monster" reaction that he used in Fellowship of the Ring. t was an effective performance, but I don't think Ian put himself out exceptionally.
          Holm's performance didn't strike me one way or the other, but he was a last minute replacement for another actor who became sick, who then died shortly before the DVD commentary was completed.

The thing I think is stupid about the movie is, Why does the Ripper constantly use that husky, whispery voice with his carriage driver, when there is no need to hide his identity from his employee? It seems like a very obvious attempt to keep the audience guessing, that doesn't tie into anything that's supposedly happening in the story.

Comment

Working...
          X