Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the worst Ripper book you've ever read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Magpie View Post
    Trenouth's is pretty much the worse.

But worst Ripper book released by a real publisher is probably Prince Jack.
    heeeeeeeeeeeee but what larks we had 'eh!!!!!
    'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Jane Coram View Post
      Hi,

Uncle Jack has to be the clear winner by a good head.

Although Karen Trenouth's book must run a close second. At least that was good for a laugh!

Hugs

Janie

xxxxx
      xxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• It has to be that bucketful of vomit spewed forth by Cornwell. Badly written (seen as an essay on the arrogance of an American woman with more money than sense and on the pointless defacing of art, it's not badly written, but as a historical text it is utter trash), badly researched and, so far, the only book that I've shouted at as I read it and the only book to give me the urge to toss it in the bin, rather than charity shop it.

I do wish I'd put it in the recycling bin instead of donating it to Oxfam.
        " Queen Vic lured her victims into dark corners with offers of free fish and chips, washed down with White Satin." - forum user C4

Comment

• I'd have to say 'Ultimate' by Evans and Skinner is the worst Ripper book. Too many typos and errors in those police reports.

Just kidding.

I guess I'd have to ask 'What's the criteria'? Many books with bad theories are an engaging read, and some books (though not many) with good theories or solid info are very tough reads. I would say the worst book would have to be one with a bad theory, inaccurate data, and poorly written in such a way as to make it a challenge to read. For this reason I could definitely not say Cornwell is the worst, because she's a fantastic writer. Uncle Jack wasn't all that bad either.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Isn't there a book that tries to prove Lewis Carroll did it? It should come with rolling papers so you can understand it all by the end
            Jordan

Comment

• I'm fully aware of all the facts regarding the Cornwell pile of poopie but I just saw it for £1 in a sale and I'm seriously considering we wasting the cash on it just to see quite how bad it is.

(There should be an emoticon combining reading and vomiting. hehehe.)
              Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by steje73 View Post
                I'm fully aware of all the facts regarding the Cornwell pile of poopie but I just saw it for £1 in a sale and I'm seriously considering we wasting the cash on it just to see quite how bad it is.

(There should be an emoticon combining reading and vomiting. hehehe.)
                Do it! Though see if you can get it for 50pence

Comment

• Go ahead and buy it. If we only bought well-researched JtR books by intelligent authors, they'd barely fill a decent-sized shelf.

Comment

• OK. Bought it. Up to the murder of Martha 'Tabran' (apparently).
                    Good Gravy, this book hasn't started well.

Comment

• Unfortunately it doesn't end well, either...and the middle is kinda weak.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                        Patty's book is pretty bad, but to be honest, there's a lot worse. John Morrison anyone?

P.S. Complete JTR? Surely shome mishtake!
                        A new book appears to be taking shape on twitter, check out JT Ribberie.

Comment

• IS it true that Patty is still working on a follow up to her book with Keith Skinner? At least, that's what I heard.
                          I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

• Holy heck!

I honestly didn't realise that the Cornwell book was quite as bad as it is. I mean, I expected it to some extent but deary me.

Comment

• I wouldn't want to label any JtR book as the "worst" I had read. The "Diary" I bought in hardback as soon as published and have never opened since. I bought it to say I had read it and did not have a closed mind about it - but I thought then and think now that it is a modern work, and ostensibly so.

I have always tried to welcome and be open to new ideas - however implausible. That said, I no longer buy EVERY book as it comes out as I used to (I don't think I have the one's relating to Barnardo or Dodgson, though I might have in a reserve store in my garage). I have one, as I recall, that worked on complex anagrams that made no sense when I read it.

Some, which I would have rated highly at the time - MacCormick, Knight - I would no longer recommend for various reasons. Both though are highly readable and enjoyable, but I now think seriously misleading. Knight I read on the day of publication, non-stop, I was so hooked. But I was devastated later to find that he had ignored warnings about the credibilility (I will put it no more strongly) of his evidence.

Like others, Uncle Jack (not least if a knowing and proven con, as I read here on Casebook) and Ripper and the Royals, as well as Cornwall, strike me as particular low-points in Ripper studies.

Phil

Comment

• Originally posted by steje73 View Post
                                I honestly didn't realise that the Cornwell book was quite as bad as it is. I mean, I expected it to some extent but deary me.
                                Okay, that made me laugh out loud

Poor Patty.
                                best,

claire

Comment

Working...
                                X