X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Ghost Stories

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
    Yes! I have "Real Ghost Stories" but wish to get hold of "More ..."
    I heard that Estelle Stead had mentioned her father had included a version of "Dead or Alive" in this edition!

To date I have,
    “Dead or Alive Review of Reviews 1892“. (New Year's Extra Number)
    Mine, above, is an 1891/2 bound volume containing Real Ghost Stories and More Ghost Stories. Surely the one you list above as 'Dead or Alive Review of Reviews 1892' is the same thing?
    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
      Ah, her we go, Duppies are Caribbean Malevolent Spirits!
      ... like rum, you mean?
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
        Mine, above, is an 1891/2 bound volume containing Real Ghost Stories and More Ghost Stories. Surely the one you list above as 'Dead or Alive Review of Reviews 1892' is the same thing?
        It's a photocopy with the story and brief introduction. I would love the actual book, and I am hoping that it is re-released in a similar fashion to the Kessinger Publishing collection, which have thousands of rare, out of print books at decent prices.
        Regards Mike

Comment

Dear Stewart:

I'll touch on the gist of your previous posts and thanks very much for both the positive and critical constructive observations. I appreciate them and acknowledge that sometimes I could use a speed bump between my brain and fingers.

When I first became interested in the whole D'Onston saga, I had been assured that there were sources ( not yet or not to be released to the body public) which confirmed much of the basis of the theory of RDS being the best suspect or the Ripper outright. I did not approach this man-as-Ripper in the proper way and I admit freely that not only was I embarassed,but determined to do the right thing no matter what to correct that mistake ( as I see it ) and again, I admit, sometimes I have been confrontational to a fault. Thats my nature and I apologize for that testiness...but I don't intend to hurt anyone's feelings. Since the accumulative researching background of the two main pro-Donstonites was close to 80 years and that they had produced books on the subject matter with apparently no problem of being accepted,I, being a newcomer and devotee of RDS-as-Ripper, kept quiet about the "sources" that were said to exist. That is,until I did ask questions about the sources and recieved responses which clearly indicated that this story of RDS needed a re-examination on the sources and sequencing of events in his life.

I know that there has been this concept that since one of the main pro-RDS authors did not use a computer to the extent that we do ,or at all actually, that it hindered his work, Actually,thats not true. Nothing within the basis or foundation of the D'Onston as Ripper theory required the Internet and nothing used to counter the Donston as Ripper theory emanated from the Internet. All one had to do was what Mike Covell did....and that was ask about the protocol of the Currie Ward with the person most capable of a correct response and the necessary clarification of what it meant to be in the Currie Ward. It meant to be incapacitated and unable to perambulate at night on the street.

We both know that one certain document that relates to D'Onston mentions his proclivities with a certain sort of woman as well as the alleged affliction which he had acquired which both ultimately provided the basis of him being a Ripper candidate. Without the affliction, without the alleged proclivities, and along with other attributes, this formed the representation of D'Onston to the public, which is clearly out of skewer with the facts. All I have tried to do is correct these errors. Perhaps with a little more tact on my part in the future.

Before I forget,thanks for sharing the notes of Mr. Harris in regard to his theory development. One thing that has intrigued both Mike Covell and myself is the census status of RDS in 1891. Its immediately apparent that if he was a "medical man,but not in practice" in 1881...he should have been so in 1891 on the census and in the future. No one takes a trip to the States and acquires a degree in medicine and then does not use that diploma. Here we have a case of a man who claims he had 2 degrees. How, if he at all provided these degrees to the chap in charge at the Orphanage in 1886, he managed to get his name on the list, I do not know. Roots may very well have been just been told by D'Onston he applied. How, if he at all did apply in earnest, he came about the huge sum ( for him) required to even apply, I do not know.

My personal philosophy is to get rid of as many of these characters as possible from the frame. That doesn't just include Stephenson, who according to your comment from a previous post, was essentially scoffed at by the more experienced Ripperologists ( including Richard W-E ) back in the 1970's, but all the others with no specific preference. I see that as a service to the field.

I also think I know why books on the man were written and that was, to be perfectly honest, to recoup the time and effort and money expended you yourself mentioned previously that the old heads had to spend on this subject and in this field.

Its true that the Old Guard provided most of the current foundation of the field by doing work that many of us do not, could not, or will not engage in and had it not been for men like Mr. Harris, the field would not be as expansive or interesting or any of several other adjectives I could use that it is for Ripperologist and civilian onlooker alike.

Thanks for the time and effort you spent on replying in the previous posts. I appreciate them a great deal.

HB
          Last edited by Howard Brown; 02-01-2009, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
            Before I forget,thanks for sharing the notes of Mr. Harris in regard to his theory development. One thing that has intrigued both Mike Covell and myself is the census status of RDS in 1891. Its immediately apparent that if he was a "medical man,but not in practice" in 1881...he should have been so in 1891 on the census and in the future. No one takes a trip to the States and acquires a degree in medicine and then does not use that diploma. Here we have a case of a man who claims he had 2 degrees.
            A thorough search of all the Islington Trade Directories for the duration of Stephenson's residence there, show not one single entry for him being involved in Medicine.

In fact, neither RDS, Richard Stephenson Junior(his brother), or Isabella Richardson(his sister) appear in any of the trade directories, yet we know, from census, and other sources, that they all resided in the area, and his kin worked in the area.
            Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
              Dear Stewart:...

Before I forget,thanks for sharing the notes of Mr. Harris in regard to his theory development...

...HB
              How, thank you for your interesting and considered response. I am attaching a couple more of Melvin's observations that I thought may be of interest.

As some sort of mitigation for Melvin, I do think that sometimes he may have relied a tad too much on research done by others on his behalf. Sometimes he may have used the wrong researchers and did not receive information that perhaps he should have done.

However, his reliance on others was often dictated by his inability to get to the primary sources himself at the time he needed to. The attached notes were made at a time that he was living in County Cork (Ireland) and was conducting long distance research.

Click image for larger version

Name:	amhq3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	655820
              SPE

Comment

Victoria Woodhull

Concluding passage from D'Onston's essay on Victoria Woodhull, 'The Apostle of Womanhood', 1893 (for those who may not have seen it).

Name:	anrdoq.jpg
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	655821
                SPE

Comment

Dear Stewart:

Thanks for the excerpt regarding Allan and the alleged understudying by D'Onston. Recently, we've demonstrated that Allan was in Manchester by 1849 and had eventually moved on to Wesleyan College...but as we know D'Onston claimed to have studied under Allan abroad. Thats patently false. This is why this entire story of D'Onston meeting Lytton Jr. in Paris is not in synch with the facts,rather in synch with the perception that D'Onston traveled abroad to study medicine ( probably chemistry,since Allan was a chemist,not a medical doctor like Gull,Davies, or Doolittle ) and obtained some proficiency in medicine and ultimately a "degree".

By the way, Mr. Harris was and is to commended for spotting the "add on" by Mr. O'Donnell ( the one we talked about 5 months ago or so) to the phrase attributed to D'Onston. There was absolutely no need for this and it may also be representative of other data or "facts" within the O'Donnell that are likewise altered to provide the public with a skewered perception of RDS. Again, as you wisely inferred, either with direct intent or cautiously, there is no proof that Cremers herself said what she is alleged to have said to Mr. O'Donnell...

One day,we have to examine that document either together or as a group and list all the elements within it ( such as the employment of different typewriters,which may in itself not be much of a big thing) that smell like 5 day old fish.

Comment

These "Theosophists" loved their little rhymes at the end of the chapter. I have read quite a few that include a strange, often mystical verse at the end of each chapter.
                    Regards Mike

Comment

It is an essay by E. Katharine Bates with the title 'A Travelling Borderlander in the Western World', sub-titled 'West Indian Magic and Keeley's Motor.'

Part I has the title 'Duppies, Obeah, and Other Specialities of the West Indies.' (Philadelphia March 22, 1897.) with sub-paragraphs 'Duppies and Their Ways'; 'Gliding Through the Air'; 'Hard on the Duppies'; 'Obeah'; 'Evil Auras'; 'A Case in Point'; 'Another Instance'; 'Psychic Influence'; 'The Use of Obeah'; 'Obeah Romanized'; 'A Miraculous Shower of Stones'; 'A Rainmaker Indoors'; 'The West Indian Vampire'; and 'Cannibalism in Hayti'.

Part II has the title 'Keeley and His Machine.'

It's certainly D'Onston style tosh, I'll give it that.
                      Hi all, in particular Howard, Mike, and especially Stewart,

Great work on collecting here and elsewhere Stewart. I marvel when I see obscure books located like that.

But something hit me when I saw the contents of this book. Everyone is concentrating on Part I, as it deals with D'Onston (which makes sense), but
                      Part II is fascinating too.

The story of John Worrell Keeley and his "etheric force" engines is one of the great hoax/scams of the 19th Century. Keeley, a musician from Philadelphia, claimed he had discovered a new source of unlimited energy and power in these "etheric forces" that he first noticed in plucking the strings of instruments and watching vibrations. He built a series of what he called 'hydro-pneumatic-pulsating-vacu-engines" which were demonstrated at his work-shop and later his home. He claimed they would simplify life as known in the late 19th Century. He even said one of his engines would run a train across the United States in a day. Because they apparently worked well
                      (he gave demonstrations of the machines ringing bells, or ripping apart steel or whatever) he got many investors, the most notable one being one Mrs. Clara Bloomfield - Moore (no, she's not a relative) of Philadelphia. She was the wealthy widow of a paper manufacturer. She poured thousand of dollars down the drain financing this rascal. He became a member of her entourage, accompanying her to Euorpe in 1888 to Vienna, where he was called "Dr. Keeley" (see Frederic Morton's A NERVOUS SPLENDOR for a brief account of this visit).

The odd thing is that this article or section of the book links Keeley and his devices with Stead. Stead apparently had great interest in Keeley's work - probably because of the etheric forces at their base. Keeley would not reveal (until ready, he said) the source that created these forces. Stead probably felt there was a link with the psychic forces that he was fascinated with - this is just my guess, but it makes sense. Why otherwise include this account of Keeley with discussions concerning D'Onston and the occult?

But this is not the only time Keeley popped up on our threads on this board.
                      Sometime back, involving Tumblety, Keeley was involved (with Mrs. Bloomfield-Moore) with some friend of the socialite who was involved in a bad marriage (I'm sorry I can't recall the exact details - I think it had to do with a Parliamantarian who was privately investigating Tumblety as the Ripper and as a member of a West End club. The Parlaimentarian later had marriage problems (that Stead gleefully published) that involved this Mrs. Bloomfield-Moore's friend. I wish I could be more specific about this.

There is one final ironic link between Stead and Mrs Bloomfield-Moore's son.
                      Her son, Clarence Bloomfield-Moore, always opposed his mother's fanatical attachment to Keeley (whom the son thought of as a swindler). Mrs. Bloomfield-Moore died in November 1898. Two months later Keeley died too.
                      As the leading creditor to Keeley's estate for tens of thousands of dollars,
                      Clarence Bloomfield-Moore got a court order, and with the police entered Keeley's home and workshop. Eventually he found the source of the "etheric forces". Keeley built some of the most complex machinary ever run on huge
                      amounts of compressed air. There was no "etheric forces".

Why is this ironic? Well Clarence Bloomfield - Moore (better remembered as Clarence Moore) was a leading socialite in the Pennsylvania-Maryland - West Virginia area. He had been involved in bloodshed in 1889 to a small extent, when he assisted a journalist friend in interviewing the notorious Devil Anse Hatfield of the Hatfield-McCoy feud. But in 1912 he was returning back from Europe after purchasing dogs for fox hunting purposes in England. He boarded the new White Star Liner, Titanic, and probably spent his last night on earth not too far from fellow doomed passenger William Thomas Stead!!

Odd isn't it all.

Jeff

Comment

Now you mention John Worrell Keeley it all comes back to me. About a month ago I purchased a book on "Hoaxes" which featured many fantastic plots and scams, coincidently it featured a short section on Ripper Letters, but I recall John Worrell Keeley being in the book.

I shall find it in the library, as the wife filed it away, and see if I can trace the article.
                        Regards Mike

Comment

You Are Right

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          Sorry, that's the wrong way round.
                          The 1859 Blackwood's publication you referred to was definitely "The Haunted and the Haunters" - I checked on the ILEJ website.
                          Here is the publication history of "A Strange Story", from The Cambridge Bibliography of English Literature, p. 1164 (1999):
                          [ATTACH]4422[/ATTACH]
                          Chris, you are right, 'The Haunted and the Haunters; or, The House and the Brain' appeared in Blackwood's in August 1859 -

Name:	blackwoods1.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	655835
                          SPE

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Just to confuse matters, there were apparently two dark-haired moustachioed man named Clarence Moore of around the same age, and of about equal social prominence at the turn of the century. Clarence Bloomfield Moore, son of Clara, was a Philidephia-born archaeologist (1852-1936) whereas "Titanic" Clarence was a little younger and was born in Clarksburg, VA. He was the huntsman and socialite who interviewed Hatsfield, and predeceased his namesake by some 24 years! I've never heard a middle-name given for the latter Clarence.

Titanic-ripper connections certainly crop up, though. The Revd. Barnett's successor at St. Jude's Whitechapel was Ernest Courtney Carter who perished in the sinking along with his wife (who was the daughter of the author of Tom Brown's School Days).

All the best,

Ben
                            Last edited by Ben; 02-03-2009, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Hi Ben,

It is the archeologist (specializing in American Indian Mounds) then who was the son of the dupe of Mr. Keeley. Odd how the two names almost created a really ironic conclusion to the Moore-Keeley-Stead connection, but I am right in ascribing the incident with the Hatfield-McCoy feud with the man on the Titanic. In A NIGHT TO REMEMBER, Walter Lord mentioned it. Thank you for the correction.

The Keeley Hoax has been written about in books about frauds or hoaxes, but I don't think a full scale study has been done of it. Oddly enough, in an account in some biographical dictionary of Keeley, it appears he actually convinced himself that there was something regarding the vibrations that might be the key to an energy source. But he was not an educated man - in the 1890s the uneducated scientist/technician was being replaced slowly with the degreed technician (Edison and Tesla in their rivalry is an example of this). Keeley was still able to get away with his hoax in 1898 because of types like Edison who were seen as brilliant (which they were) despite a lack of college degree. Ironically, given the huge machinery that Keeley set up to fool the public, he actually might have made a mark if he had concentrated on compressed air devices.

Jeff

Comment

'The Haunted and the Haunters; or, The House and the Brain' appeared in Blackwood's in August 1859 -
                                Google Books has a full view of the story here,

Just select the first on the list.
                                Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X