Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Harry D 22 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 46 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Sam Flynn 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (13 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Time after Time: Did JtR have a watch? - (8 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (8 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (1 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: The Christie Case - (1 posts)
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 11-03-2018, 06:04 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
If the 1873 torso is part of the series - and I have little doubt that it is - then keep in mind that far from keeping or hiding the head, the killer actually cut the whole face and scalp away and threw it in the Thames. That is not effective identity hiding.
Really? I must have forgotten that and I read Trow.

Which discovery was that one?
Old 11-03-2018, 06:07 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
If he did not mind Nichols and Chapman and Stride (on the same night!) being ID:d, why would he mind Eddowes having her ID revealed?
Exactly.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:54 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
Really? I must have forgotten that and I read Trow.

Which discovery was that one?
Trow has it in his book - September 1873. If you have not read up about this victim, I recommend you do so. She is of the utmost importance.

Gordon does NOT have her in his book, for a very obvious reason. He opts for the Salamanca Place victim instead, and for just as obvious a cause...
Old 11-03-2018, 07:16 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Trow has it in his book - September 1873. If you have not read up about this victim, I recommend you do so. She is of the utmost importance.

Gordon does NOT have her in his book, for a very obvious reason. He opts for the Salamanca Place victim instead, and for just as obvious a cause...
I read Gordon before Trow and might have just forgotten it (obviously have) and will look again in Trow.

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:35 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
I read Gordon before Trow and might have just forgotten it (obviously have) and will look again in Trow.

Thanks.
You´re welcome, Batman!
Old 11-15-2018, 12:49 PM
Cadet

Has anyone on this thread tried to conduct an appropriate psychological review of the Whitechapel murderer that preyed upon vulnerable, poor class (high risk) women?

If one were to dwell inside the brain of this killer, I am sure most of you would be revolted and terrified to find what is "underneath the hood" as one would say. This man is clearly mad; whether the method in which he went about to dispatch and extinguish his victims had any planning to it I can not say, but I am of the opinion that he was an unorganized, blitz serial predator and attacked his victims suddenly and violently.

From what I gathered from previous replies to my past inquiries, he either killed the victims before inflicting the injuries to the body. Therefore I can speculate that the pain of his victim was not something he was after. It was the mutilation/dissection aspect. And this escalates with each killing till it blows up with the MJK murder.

While knowing what the motive was for the killer and what drove him to kill, understanding this and applying it so one may therefore understand what was going on in his mind are two different things.

Everyone may love a good murder mystery but the more I study this case the further I now try to steer away from it.

These were people who died in terrible ways. This man was an absolutely TERRIFYING little bloke. And I mean that in every sense of the word: this man is SCARY.

I mean, whatever was going on in his mind, what he was thinking/saying to himself, the self-satisfaction that he got from these killings; what he did to that poor woman in Miller's court - THAT is the thing made of nightmares, and is true horror and the closest thing I could ever imagine to Hell.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Superintendent

I think he literally has to transform from a regular normal looking Eastender into a monster when he attacks. As in his facial features would contort. Ted Bundy was reported to transform like this by many witnesses. This was apparently even witnessed by the jury who got a glimpse of it during a trial where he interrogated his own victim. No wonder why serial killers shouldn't represent themselves. Dahmer would start chanting and his eyes change and he would go into a trance almost getting himself charged to murder.

So in a funny way, there is a connection with Dr. Jekll and Mr. Hyde which was playing in theatres at the time. The press cartoons even got the crossover and people wrote in letters suggesting the actors may be JtR.

It is the level of hatred that gets me. This man was one of the most extreme misogynists that have ever existed. Yet, even an unfortunate, who needs money, seems to have not been worried about meeting this person, even at the height of the Ripper murders.

Peter Sutcliffe's friend, Jimmy Saville... errr... I mean Trevor Birdsall knew that Sutcliffe had a mega hatred for prostitutes. Even watched him try to attack one before the serial killings. Trevor Birdsall eventually put 2 + 2 together and informed the Yorkshire police about Sutcliffe, who was in their database. The information got lost in a chaotic system.

I wonder if the identity of JtR may in the many letters sent to Scotland Yard and the Newspapers.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Cadet

I do not think any of the victims expected to have been harmed in that extreme. I am sure most of them were used to violence enacted out and I wouldn't be surprised if many of them were not brutalized by their husbands, lovers, or random men of the street a fair amount of times. They were just desperate and at the wrong place at the wrong time.

From my general understanding, most of the victims were not actually supporting themselves by prostitution alone. Most of them may have not even been soliciting the night of their murder.

And what a way to give me nightmares! Are you trying to not let me sleep tonight? Jimminy Crickets!

Yes, he was a hateful little bloke. But was it really hatred that drove him, or was it fear or something else? Did he possibly get any sexual relief from his mutilations?

I wonder if it was something else besides a pure hatred of women that drove him. . .I do not want to get into the mind of a killer. They have no empathy and everyone is a tool at their disposal. To think of meeting someone who will look at you and think of dissecting you apart is terribly frightening.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:32 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
So he killed her in her own room?
This is a point that has surfaced a bit lately Sam, is the woman on the bed the same woman that Joe Barnett knew and later barely identified as Mary Kelly, or is it a woman that is found in Mary Kellys bed disfigured almost beyond all recognition, or is it a woman who called herself Mary Kelly but was not actually a Mary Kelly, or was it a woman that was legitimately named Mary Kelly?

Ive been here long enough to see how good some member/researchers are and it troubles me that there has still been no solid confirmation of her story. That and the fact that this woman was mutilated, as I said, almost beyond a reasonable identification, makes me consider an alias or a misidentification as pretty plausible.
Old 11-16-2018, 04:41 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
I think he literally has to transform from a regular normal looking Eastender into a monster when he attacks. As in his facial features would contort. Ted Bundy was reported to transform like this by many witnesses. This was apparently even witnessed by the jury who got a glimpse of it during a trial where he interrogated his own victim. No wonder why serial killers shouldn't represent themselves. Dahmer would start chanting and his eyes change and he would go into a trance almost getting himself charged to murder.

So in a funny way, there is a connection with Dr. Jekll and Mr. Hyde which was playing in theatres at the time. The press cartoons even got the crossover and people wrote in letters suggesting the actors may be JtR.

It is the level of hatred that gets me. This man was one of the most extreme misogynists that have ever existed. Yet, even an unfortunate, who needs money, seems to have not been worried about meeting this person, even at the height of the Ripper murders.

Peter Sutcliffe's friend, Jimmy Saville... errr... I mean Trevor Birdsall knew that Sutcliffe had a mega hatred for prostitutes. Even watched him try to attack one before the serial killings. Trevor Birdsall eventually put 2 + 2 together and informed the Yorkshire police about Sutcliffe, who was in their database. The information got lost in a chaotic system.

I wonder if the identity of JtR may in the many letters sent to Scotland Yard and the Newspapers.
There is nothing to prove that the Ripper was a misogynist. He may have been and he may not have been. Killing somebody is not necessarily a sign of hating that somebody. Jeffrey Dahmer was very fond of all the people he killed, and only killed them on account of a wish to be able to keep them close to himself.