Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Anderson's Book Have Blank Pages at the End of It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Anderson's Book Have Blank Pages at the End of It?

I'm just wondering because the book that I am currently reading (not Anderson's book) has three blank pages at the end. I just did a quick random search of some other hardback books and it seems to vary from no blank pages to one or two.

Now this could be a completely irrelevant subject but you have to wonder if Swanson wanted to elaborate on the marginalia and he had blank pages available to him why did he not make use of them?

c.d.

Perhaps because, as in other maginalia he wrote, Swanson tended to be brief.

With the Anderson marginalia I recall he did continue at the end of the book on a blank page.

He was writing for his own amusement, there is no obvious intention that the jottings should be published or shown to anyone else (they were not) and the marginalia are complete in that as written they make sense and come to a conclusion (the name of the suspect) which is logical and flows from the original text.

As DSS knew the facts and what he was writing why would he need to add more?

In my experience, high quality, hardback late Victorian books would almost ALWAYS have had blank pages at front and rear.

I have come across cheap editions and paperbacks from the period which fill up space and covers with adverts, but I am pretty sure pictures of Anderson's book show blank pages.

Comment

Hello c.d.

There were, he could, and he did.

I own a copy of The Lighter Side of My Official Life and there are two blank pages; the endpaper shown in the photograph below with Swanson's annotations, and the reverse side.

Best wishes
      Adam
      Attached Files
      Last edited by AdamNeilWood; 10-26-2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Hello Adam,

Ok. Thanks for that. For some reason, I had always thought it was sort of scribbled in the margin but I see that it in fact was completely written out.

You have to wonder though, why he felt the need to initial it. This would tend to imply that he believed that it would be seen my other people.

c.d.

Comment

Hello c.d.,

That's something I looked at in my recent article on the Marginalia for Ripperologist.

It seems Swanson did this out of habit - I had access to his personal address book and he also signed that using his initials.

Best wishes
          Adam

Comment

Damn. I am learning things on here today right and left. Again, my thanks for that, Adam.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamNeilWood View Post
              Hello c.d.,

That's something I looked at in my recent article on the Marginalia for Ripperologist.

It seems Swanson did this out of habit - I had access to his personal address book and he also signed that using his initials.

Best wishes
              Adam
              My dad does that from writing prescriptions for 40 years. Even puts it on his checks.
              The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
              X