25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by caz View Post

Yet the time would not apparently be too tight for word to get to Mike on 9 March about some old scrapbook with blank pages being found under floorboards; for Mike then to devise a cunning plan, based on those floorboards being in the former bedroom of James Maybrick, in the house once called Battlecrease, to frame him as Jack the Ripper by faking his diary using the blank pages; then to obtain all the materials and books needed to execute that plan; and finally to take the finished product to London on 13 April?

Naysayers in a nutshell...

Comment

Hi Abby,

How else do you imagine it could have come out, given that it arrived in London 'in its complete form' on 13 April?

It bemuses me how some people are suggesting the time would be too tight for anyone to get word to Mike about 'the' diary on 9 March and for him to make a couple of exploratory phone calls the same day to test the waters.

Yet the time would not apparently be too tight for word to get to Mike on 9 March about some old scrapbook with blank pages being found under floorboards; for Mike then to devise a cunning plan, based on those floorboards being in the former bedroom of James Maybrick, in the house once called Battlecrease, to frame him as Jack the Ripper by faking his diary using the blank pages; then to obtain all the materials and books needed to execute that plan; and finally to take the finished product to London on 13 April?

And not one of the electricians was willing to say that Mike had turned this worthless old book, which had been 'liberated' from the house, into a serial killer's diary and made a shed load [or greenhouse load] of money out of it in the process?

Love,

Caz
      X
      Whats the provenance, let alone evidence that it came out of that house?

Why couldn't MB have been planning the hoax for a lot longer?
      "Is all that we see or seem
      but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
      quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike J. G. View Post
        Kaz, people tend to use their common sense to dissect the "coincidences" and weigh up the chances, and that's something that diary advocates tend to not do.
        Hi Mike,

You're quite wrong. Diary researchers have independently used their common sense to dissect coincidences and weigh up the chances.

How would you dissect the coincidence and weigh up the chances of the diary coming out of Maybrick's old bedroom on the very same day Mike Barrett decided to phone Doreen about it?

Yet that is what the evidence - when looked at in context and in its entirety - indicates.

As far as the new book, I've been told that it doesn't contain anything new besides the names of the electricians.
        Then you've been sold a pup, by someone who claims to know something you don't. Oh the irony.

...this talk of well they haven't read the book is about as useless a claim as I know something you don't know, which is especially useless when there's nothing else to know besides the names of a few electricians.
        Priceless. Of course anyone who has read a book you haven't will 'know something you don't know'. That's why you have to read it for yourself before you can possibly know if what you have 'been told' is accurate or a gross distortion of what's actually in it.

Love,

Caz
        X
        Last edited by caz; 09-13-2017, 04:44 AM.
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaz View Post
          ...but theres lines that shouldn't be crossed, especially when its all about getting cheap laughs and virtual pats on the back? no?
          But routinely accusing someone who is no longer here to defend themselves of perpetrating the most notorious series of murders in history is just fine.

The one thing that matches many people's gullibility is their hypocrisy.
          Best Wishes,
          Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            Whats the provenance, let alone evidence that it came out of that house?

Why couldn't MB have been planning the hoax for a lot longer?
            I'll leave that for you to read up on and work out for yourself, Abby.

Some people can't be helped; and some don't really want to be.

And I can't work miracles on either.

Love,

Caz
            X

Comment

• Originally posted by Hunter View Post
              But routinely accusing someone who is no longer here to defend themselves of perpetrating the most notorious series of murders in history is just fine.

The one thing that matches many people's gullibility is their hypocrisy.

But that doesn't apply to the other 'suspects'?

Of which there are MANY.

James's family, descendants (unlike mikes) have long since deceased..

It was Abby chanting about the matter on page 11...

Comment

I'll leave that for you to read up on and work out for yourself, Abby.

Some people can't be helped; and some don't really want to be.

And I can't work miracles on either.

Love,

Caz
                X
                Ahh I see. Answering two simple questions is akin to miracle working huh? Well I see you certainly trying to work miracles defending this nonsense in boat loads of long posts no less. You apparently have no problem with that!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                  It may be of interest to quote from "The Inside Story", Page 251, hardback, in which Paul Dodd, the-then owner of Battlecrease, expresses his doubts about the Diary having a Battlecrease provenance. He also says that the floorboards had been lifted a number of times since 1946 (when his father bought the house) and nothing was found. To this he adds that very few floorboards were lifted at the time work was being carried out by electricians in March 1992. He also says, somewhat mysteriously, that he had heard, but didn't identify his source, that the Diary was not found at Battlecrease at that time.

Obviously, this doesn't rule out a possibility that the Diary could never have been found at Battlecrease; but likewise it reduces I think the possibility that it was.

Graham

PS: before anyone says I ought to read Smith's book before speculating any further, I was just too late when I tried to place an order.
                  Hi Graham,

We say in Inside Story that Paul Dodd claimed very few floorboards were actually raised 'during the period Feldman investigated'.

The problem was that Paul didn't tell us that any electricians were working on the house in March 1992, never mind lifting floorboards in Maybrick's old bedroom, or we would have jumped on the coincidence there and then! In fact, the dates he gave for what work was done, and when no work was being done, turned out to be incorrect, but at that time we had no reason to think his memory might be playing tricks. We only found out after our book was published, when Keith finally obtained the time sheets proving there was work carried out that involved lifting floorboards in that room on one day - 9 March 1992 - the same say Mike phoned Doreen about the diary.

If Paul Dodd had known this when we spoke to him for Inside Story, he might have thought the chances were considerably higher that the diary really did come out of his house.

Love,

Caz
                  X

Comment

True, but unless there's some concrete evidence that the diary did indeed come out of the house on the 9th, then that's all a load of conjecture and speculation. I'm assuming the book clears all of this up without doubt?
                    You just have to have the common sense needed to dissect the coincidences and weigh up the chances, Mike.

But you knew that already.

Q1 : How and when did the electrician(s), who happened to be lifting floorboards in Maybrick's old bedroom in Aigburth on 9 March 1992, find out that Mike Barrett in Anfield had phoned a London literary agent on that same day about a diary, whose author, claiming to be Maybrick, would also claim to have left it in a place where 'it shall be found'?

Q2 : How and when did Mike Barrett learn, that on the same day he phoned Doreen about this diary, there had been floorboards lifted in the bedroom where Maybrick snuffed it?

Q3 : If they were in it together, how did the modern hoax conspiracy work, unless the electrician(s) and Mike knew in advance what the work would involve, how long it would take, and when it would be done? And how did they keep in touch that day, to check it had all gone to plan?

Q4 : Why did Mike always deny this perfect provenance if he helped set the whole thing up with the electrician(s)?

Any more questions?

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    Last edited by caz; 09-13-2017, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Hi Graham,

We say in Inside Story that Paul Dodd claimed very few floorboards were actually raised 'during the period Feldman investigated'.

The problem was that Paul didn't tell us that any electricians were working on the house in March 1992, never mind lifting floorboards in Maybrick's old bedroom, or we would have jumped on the coincidence there and then! In fact, the dates he gave for what work was done, and when no work was being done, turned out to be incorrect, but at that time we had no reason to think his memory might be playing tricks. We only found out after our book was published, when Keith finally obtained the time sheets proving there was work carried out that involved lifting floorboards in that room on one day - 9 March 1992 - the same say Mike phoned Doreen about the diary.

If Paul Dodd had known this when we spoke to him for Inside Story, he might have thought the chances were considerably higher that the diary really did come out of his house.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      Hi Caz,

thanks for this. Understood. What about Dodd's saying that floorboards had been lifted several times since 1946? Did he indicate if that included Maybrick's old bedroom and/or his permanently-locked dressing-room?

I just can't accept the timeline between claimed discovery and Barrett phoning Doreen Montgomery. T'ain't possible, unless they went to their local Rent-A-Timewarp dealer.

Cheers,

Graham
                      We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

I think when you have people who say stuff like "those coincidences can be explained away," and "I'm using facts to come up with a plausible explanation," that kind of tells you how little Occam's Razor has come into play.
                        Come on then, Mike. See if you can explain the coincidences in my last post away and use facts to come up with a plausible explanation of your own.

Facts, mind.

Love,

Caz
                        X

Comment

• At this time it is worth reminding people that Cobb and all Cobb enterprises are banned from being promoted on this board due to Cobb's behavior which includes among other things: calling the owner's wife a whore, threatening her with rape/violence depending on your take, and ludicrous and pathetic blackmail attempts against Rippercast and Casebook. We don't care if Cobb discovers the answer to Jack the Ripper himself - integrity is more valuable than profit. Don't mention him, don't promote his businesses. Period. Once he's handed over the documents to a flunkie to upload them for him, discuss the documents. Don't test us on this.
                          Last edited by Admin; 09-13-2017, 07:18 AM. Reason: Using voice to text. Fixing many mistakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
                            I just can't accept the timeline between claimed discovery and Barrett phoning Doreen Montgomery. T'ain't possible, unless they went to their local Rent-A-Timewarp dealer.

Cheers,

Graham
                            Why not? One of the electricians, who claimed in July 1992 to know that something had been found under the floorboards in the house [before the general public even knew that Mike had a diary which was in the process of getting published], just happened to live on the same road as Tony Devereux and drank in the Saddle, where Mike would go for his liquid lunch while waiting to pick his daughter up from her school nearby.

T'aint rocket science to imagine this electrician popping to Battlecrease to see his mates there, who show him the last page of an old book they just found, then he goes back home and has a swift half in the pub and Bob's your Uncle - Mike finds out enough about it to whet his interest and try to whet Doreen's.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            Last edited by caz; 09-13-2017, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Why not? One of the electricians, who claimed in July 1992 to know that something had been found under the floorboards in the house [before the general public even knew that Mike had a diary which was in the process of getting published], just happened to live on the same road as Tony Devereux and drank in the Saddle, where Mike would go for his liquid lunch while waiting to pick his daughter up from her school nearby.

T'aint rocket science to imagine this electrician popping to Battlecrease to see his mates there, who show him the last page of an old book they just found, then he goes back home and has a swift half in the pub and Bob's your Uncle - Mike finds out enough about it to whet his interest and try to whet Doreen's.

Love,

Caz
                              X
                              Hey Caz
                              That makes sense to me-if it came out of that house of course!

But alternatively, it could be MB stopping by the pub and finding out about the work there (but nothing about a diary)and him putting two and two together about hoax and then contacting Doreen correct?

also whats "Bobs your uncle" mean? LOL! sorry I'm just a dumb yank!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                                also whats "Bobs your uncle" mean? LOL! sorry I'm just a dumb yank!

Is fanny your aunt?

Comment

Working...
                                X