Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The JtR Meta-poll II

Poll number II.
    1. JtR had at least one identified victim after MJK (Coles, Mackenzie, Mylett, et al.)
    10.00%
    2. The case could be solved easily if we had all the information the police had in 1888..
    14.00%
    3. JtR had anatomical knowledge, but not medical knowledge.
    20.00%
    4. JtR had medical knowledge.
    10.00%
    5. The “Dear Boss” (ie, “yours truly, Jack the Ripper) letter is authentic.
    6.00%
    6. The “Saucy Jacky” (ie, “double event”) postcard is authentic.
    4.00%
    7. The Lusk letter is authentic.
    18.00%
    8. The Miller’s Court victim was by a different hand than the other canonical victims.
    4.00%
    9. The double event was planned.
    4.00%
    10. Eddowes had an appointment to meet someone; that’s why she was worried about the time.
    10.00%

Clarifiers:

What is your opinion on the following issues? Tick the box if you agree.

1. JtR had at least one identified victim after MJK (Coles, Mackenzie, Mylett, et al.) Not limited to those three, those are just the most commonly named.

2. The case could be solved easily if we had all the information the police had in 1888. This relates to the claim that the police had knowledge they kept secret, and it was lost before the files were opened to the public, AND that modern methods of detection could ferret out the killer, not the claim that the police knew exactly who the killer was, and just didn't arrest him.

3. JtR had anatomical knowledge, but not medical knowledge. As in, a slaughterer, or someone who assisted the ME, but had no formal schooling in anatomy.

4. JtR had medical knowledge. Not necessarily a doctor, but someone who had taken college anatomy classes, or been in a position to observe surgery in a theater for medical students.

5. The “Dear Boss” (ie, “yours truly, Jack the Ripper) letter is authentic.

6. The "Saucy Jacky" (ie, “double event”) postcard is authentic.

7. The Lusk letter is authentic. This would probably mean that the kidney belongs to Eddowes.

8. The Miller’s Court victim was by a different hand than the other canonical victims. This doesn't address who the victim was.

9. The double event was planned. From a time before Stride was ever approached, JtR knew he would kill two women that night. How intricately planned is not the point of this question. It might be as vague as "two tonight," or as intricate as having appointments with the two victims made hours ahead of time.

10. Eddowes had an appointment to meet someone; that’s why she was worried about the time. You do not have to think the appointment was with JtR to answer "Yes" to this question.

Comment

1. Yup. I'm fairly certain that Mackenzie was a Ripper victim.
      2. At best I think the missing information would only add some incidentals to a couple of contemporary suspects but nothing like a smoking gun that would make it certain with modern methods.
      3 & 4. Possibly. I thought I'd clicked one of them but apparently I didn't. My bad... maybe my phone's bad... Should have double checked.
      5-7. Nope. Maybe 7, currently lean toward not, but definitely not 5 & 6.
      8. Possible but I don't think so. Think it's more likely that Kelly was a victim of opportunity and the more controlled environment better suited him and allowed for an indulgence he was denied before. Afterwards the street attacks just didn't do it for her... which they only found out after starting a new kill cycle with Mackenzie.
      9. Nope. If Stride is a JtR victim he was interrupted and needed the release the mutilations gave. They got their hands on another victim as soon as possible with as much distance as they felt was safe from the other body to be able to work as needed.
      10. Only if you count her telling John Kelly that she's be home no later than 4 pm... which I don't.
      I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

2. I have no doubt that if we had all the information the police had we could eliminate some suspects (that alone would be useful) and move others around on the interest list. as just one example If we knew macnaghten's Private information it MAY help, or iit may make things worse.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I have voted agree for 2, 4, and 7.

I don't necessarily agree with all of the others, but it is possible JtR meant to kill two on September 30th.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

I voted 'no' on number two, but it's kind of an ambiguous question to me. I think the Victorian police knew their business, and weren't likely to have foolishly overlooked some relationship, clue, motive, etc, that would stand out plainly for a modern detective.

That being said, we can tease a great deal more information out of evidence than they could, and in ways that they couldn't have dreamt of. I'm sure the Ripper had to leave behind DNA, fingerprints, etc, but analysis of those samples just wasn't possible for them.
            - Ginger

Comment

Hmm... I only agree with #3.
              Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
              - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

I doubt the case could be solved if we had full access to all the police files, but I suspect we could elimimate several suspects.
                dustymiller
                aka drstrange

Comment

I voted (3) to anatomical knowledge, with a perhaps on medical knowledge (4) and a definite maybe on (7) as I cannot imagine that the kidney and the letter were a practical joke but there is no actual evidence to link the kidney piece to Eddowes.

I'd like to think that complete access to the police files would definitely help Ripper research but I just can't see it solving the case.

I think Eddowes was probably on her way to the Mile End casual ward on the day of her death, after her release from the cells so I don't think she had an appointment.

Comment

8 & 10

Hello Rivkah. 8 & 10 look good.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
                      I doubt the case could be solved if we had full access to all the police files, but I suspect we could elimimate several suspects.
                      Not solved but I believe we could eliminate a lot of the dross.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

1-3-7-10
                        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                        X