Annie Crook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by harry View Post
    I am related to a Nell Crook.She was my aunt by marriage.I have a copy of her marriage certificate kindly given by a former poster,a person who attempted to trace a relationship between Nell and Annie.No relationship could be established.

As early as the 1930's ,I became aware of rumours from Nell's children,my cousins,of a royal relationship to their family.This was reinforced by another aunt,a sister-in-law of Nell,who also at that time,1930's,mentioned such a connection.This aunt would have first met Nell prior to 1920,not sure of exact year,

It is a queer coincidence that two independent families of the same name have been so linked to a supposed royal connection,but beyond remembering that it was spoken of in regard to Nell,I cannot recall any details being given.

One other mystery.On the death of my uncle,Nell's husband,she having pre deceased him,a total stranger called at the house and wished to buy two paintings which were in the families possession.He offered one hundred pounds each,but gave no details of who he was or how he knew of the paintings,or why he wished possession.

The above is true.Make of it what you will.
    Hello Harry

I don't normally quote entire posts here but that one was quite spooky and delightfully composed. In my own family it's believed that we are related somehow to General Allenby who is a forgotten figure now but once was a famous guy, the boss of 'Lawrence of Arabia'. As you know, in the old days, some things were known but better left unsaid

All the best
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi Harry,

"I am related to a Nell Crook.She was my aunt by marriage.I have a copy of her marriage certificate kindly given by a former poster,a person who attempted to trace a relationship between Nell and Annie.No relationship could be established."

Yes I remember doing that search although it was quite a few years back.
      When it comes to researching a family tree I must confess I am not the best, but these days we have some posters here who are very good at such things, the technology has moved on as well.

Perhaps if you were to post here what you know someone might be able to help?

Rgds
      John

Comment

Thanks Graham,Stephen,and John.
        There is possibly a better source of information than myself.It is a grandson of Nell and Harry Ford my uncle,the only close living relative of Nell and Harry.There were five children of the union,four daughters and one son.Four of the children married,but only one daughter produced a child,the grandson I mentioned.I lost contact with the family when I emigrated to Australia,and only saw them on visits I made back to uk,and the last brief contact was in 1992.
        I did not even know of the Grandson's existance untill a few years ago,when a letter arrived from him,telling me one of the cousins had died,I believe the last of the five,and that person was an aunt of his.Apparently he was quite close to this aunt,and had supervised the disposal of her estate.It was while browsing through her papers that he had chanced on my address.So it is quite probable that he would have come into possession of information concerning the family,maybe old records such as birth,marriage and death certificates.
        If anyone is really interested,I can pass on his last known address,it is in Cornwall.I'm sure he would be receptive to a proper approach.
        As John has said,he was the person who took an interest years ago after I had posted a message on the old boards,and he obtained a copy of a marriage certificate of Nell and Harry Ford's marriage.I do not have the copy at hand,it is buried somewhere among my papers,but from memory the Crook family were at the time living in the village of Churchdown,in Gloucestershire.Nell and Harry eventually settled at Milkwall,near Coleford,Forest of Dean,Gloucestershire,and died there.

Comment

The only reason I can think of Prince Eddy would go around with these women,if he indeed did, was to wallow in the mire,so to speak,
          Why any royal or nobleman would go after East End whores when you have the creme de la creme of the demimonde to choose from is beyond me.
          Hollydolly - I've only just read your Post, because I was looking at Harry's
          very interesting Post.

Being a woman, I can't really understand this 'mind set' but years ago a man that I knew once drove me on a trip that took a few hours. In the car he started talking about his using prostitutes (I think that we passed one on the road), and being fascinated, I questioned him -and he was only too happy to 'open up'.

He was a respectable journalist, who had worked for the council and had been a ski champion in France -and had a beautiful and intelligent long time girlfriend ; why he would risk his relationship, or need to pay for sex, was amazing to me.

He said it was all about the exchange of money -domination if you like.
          He had the weirdest set of values you could imagine. He said that the prostitutes definately had a hierarchy, and he liked the lowliest ones (that is, without even a room, but standing by the road), because he admired their nerve so much. He was particularly bowled over by one, who he said was only 16, stood by a main route, and catered for lorry drivers in the bushes.
          he kept saying "..Chapeau !" (hat's off !(to her)). He was incapable of understanding my sadness and concern for this poor girl, and he saw her as
          feisty and brave..

So that Royals or Upper Class men might want to frequent the lowliest prostitutes, might be incomprehensible to US, but some seem to, and it's not just about self abasement, nor 'payback'.

ps -this guy did not consider that he was being 'unfaithful' to his girlfriend at all, since he did not
          consider going to a prostitute having anything to do with a relationship...he could not understand my point of view that if he REALLY thought that it was all so 'normal and innocent', then he would be happy for his girlfriend and employers, mother etc to know about it (and he patently wasn't !).
          Last edited by Rubyretro; 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM.
          http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Hi Harry,

As regards that marriage certificate I will most probably still have it in one of my old box files, possibly even some notes I made at the time. If you or anyone else needs it I will be happy to look through my old files.

Rgds
            John

Comment

Thanks John,
              I do still have that copy,but I would be interested in any other material.

In general ,I will repeat.I will divulge the address of the grandson to anyone that is interested.A face to face discussion might be more beneficial than other means.

While I am not convinced of a connection to Annie Crook,another family connection spoken of by the aunt,that is a family connection to the Henry Ford of car fame, seems to bear more fruit.A brother of mine visited Ireland last year,and his investigations there did place Henry Fords Family,and Charlie Fords family(Charlie was my Grandfather,and the father of my mother,my aunt,and Harry Ford,Husband of Nell Crook)as once both living in the same village in Ireland.The families were 'Tinkers".

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
                I am related to a Nell Crook.She was my aunt by marriage.I have a copy of her marriage certificate kindly given by a former poster,a person who attempted to trace a relationship between Nell and Annie.No relationship could be established.

As early as the 1930's ,I became aware of rumours from Nell's children,my cousins,of a royal relationship to their family.This was reinforced by another aunt,a sister-in-law of Nell,who also at that time,1930's,mentioned such a connection.This aunt would have first met Nell prior to 1920,not sure of exact year,

It is a queer coincidence that two independent families of the same name have been so linked to a supposed royal connection,but beyond remembering that it was spoken of in regard to Nell,I cannot recall any details being given.

One other mystery.On the death of my uncle,Nell's husband,she having pre deceased him,a total stranger called at the house and wished to buy two paintings which were in the families possession.He offered one hundred pounds each,but gave no details of who he was or how he knew of the paintings,or why he wished possession.

The above is true.Make of it what you will.
                This is so interesting and the family oral tradition reminds me of Ellen May Lackner,Joseph Sickerts cousin.Could never think of a sensible reason why an old lady would want to lie about it to ripperologists when interviewed,probably the most compelling factor of the conspiracy theories.

Also i've seen the 'buy painting for huge amount of money' before in the sickert/royal stories but can't pin it down at the moment
                You can lead a horse to water.....

Comment

Packers stem,
                  If you wish to private mail me I can supply an address should you be interested.
                  Harry.

Comment

Working...
                  X