The Highgate Vampire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Highgate Vampire

I thought I would put out some feelers on whether this could be a topic of discussion, since a great many citizens of London frequent this board. Feel free to shoot down the idea, I guess, since it always seems to raise great controversy whenever it comes up online. "It" being the story of Bishop Sean Manchester and the literally real vampires he is supposed to have encountered and dispatched in Highgate and Finchley in northern London between the late 1960s and the early 1980s, as documented in his 1985 book "The Highgate Vampire." I've always had a fascination with such stories as far back in history as they can be found, and I visited Highgate Cemetery on an English vacation in 2004 where I found the tour guides to be none too amused by questions about the vampire. "We don't encourage that kind of talk around here," was the stone-faced reply, rather than treating the subject with mocking humor as might have been expected.

I will make an invitation for anyone with any knowlege of the case, or opinions, or criticisms, or whatever, to offer their input. One observation- I have seen the macabre events at Highgate Cemetery mentioned not only in Manchester's book but even in an official London travel guide.

Hi Kensie

I worked on a TV pilot a few years ago on the subject..called 'Sex with Ghosts'

Despite the sensational title it largely dealt with the phenomina of 'Sleep Paralysis'

As part of that investigation I filmed most of the classic Incubus haunted places in England..night viduals etc..

As part of that program I interviewed a man who saw the High Gate Vampire..

I cant remember his name off the top of my head..but as he was the only person in English legal history to be taken to court for Vampire hunting, he shouldnt be to difficult to track down..it was a big case in the national press at the time..

He had his own website and stuff...

And an interesting tale to tell...

So I've met and interviewed a man who met the Highgate Vampire...

I'm afraid I don't possess the footage..it belongs to the production company.

Pirate

Comment

David Farrent, I knew it would come to me..I'm going a bit Anderson

Comment

I feel I should point out the board owners, mods etc, that S*** M********* doesn't like being discussed, especially with regard to D**** F******* and is very quick at issuing writs etc to any message board he finds that starts talking about 'it'.

Just a warning, like. Most people find they're not allowed to mention names, due to legal action.
        Once is happenstance; twice is coincidence. The third time, it's enemy action.

Comment

My impression of David was that he was a reasonable sort of chap, if a little strange/excentric?. However he was quite articulate and intelligent, not the sort of person to make things up or sue anybody over nothing..

He didn't have a high regard for the people who arrested him, i admit.

I'm afraid i cant comment on S*** M*********. never met the man.

I did however have a ta'do with an incubus and a DSR 500 in the old poldark house

Cheers Ravenstone.

Pirate

Comment

Vampires? Do people actually believe that VA..........

Comment

I think I'm right in assuming that J*** P*** D*L****** had some involvement in the Highgate V****** case. Albeit minor?(I'm not taking any chances here..)

Comment

The term VAMPIRE was given to the Highgate phenomina by the local press.

What David Farrent discribes is not a Vampire in the modern sense. There was nothing Bram Stoker about it...

What he describes has its route in far older mythology from different cultures all over the world.

There is No 'Vampire' in Highgate cemetary.

Pirate

Comment

Last time I saw David Farrant, he was a very frail, sick man. He didn't do well out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenstone View Post
                    Last time I saw David Farrant, he was a very frail, sick man. He didn't do well out of it.
                    Then it is apparent we are discussing he same man Ravenstone.

There have been some joke comments so far..but I have the feeling you know what you are talking about...

Is this thread going anywhere?

I dont know much about S*** M********* but it looks like two people here know of David Farrent...

Personally I found him very interesting.

He lived in an old house near the cemetary. As you say, he was very slim. We both smoked heavily at the time. The interview was very intense. However i feel he was honest. Or at least he gave an honest account of his encounter..

At the time I was cluded up on th esubject..his claims matched those of other witnesses of the phenomina...

Somewhere I still have notes and a script...

David Farrent was clear about what he saw..and as I have said..he did not witness a vampire..not as is generally accepted by the meaning..

However I'm not waisting time unless there is a genuine interest in the subject...

If I wanted comedy I could go to a Maybrick, Tumbelty or Sickert thread..

Good night all

Pirate

Comment

Certainly, David Farrant always comes across as an honest man, genuine in his belief, and consistent.

As for the other party, I have been involved in a couple of online boards and mailing lists that have found themselves subject to legal action. It seems he has a lot of money and some legal friends willing to take it.

The problem with the Highgate Vampire has always been stripping away all the media hype and misinformation, as well as all the ... erm.... unpleasantness, shall we say ... between the two main parties.

And fear of being sued usually closes down any discussion.

Comment

One of the things I was wondering when I decided to chance beginning this thread was whether anyone here could corroborate any of the apparently documented events in SM's book on the case, in particular newspaper accounts from the first months of 1970 in the Hampstead and Highgate Express in which people debated sightings of a "ghost" around the cemetery, and television news coverage of an "official vampire hunt" there that supposedly drew a crowd of hundreds. I realize this was almost 40 years ago, but regardless of how seriously one might take all of this is there anyone who personally recalls those things taking place?

Comment

Oh dear not this old rubbish - the Highgate Vampire!

I think the time is right for a new Carry on Film called "Carry on up the Highgate Vampire". This should star the Lord / Bishop M******* as Cardinal Nutter, D***D F****t as Ivor Stake, and J*** P**e d* L******y as Robin of the Hoodwink (aka Aleister Big Beastley)!

I think we ought to stick to JTR and "proper" cases otherwise we may be invaded by people who like cakes of the fruit variety.

Wait a minute I'll have to go, a message is coming through from someone called Derek in Liverpool who knows somebody called Yvette.

The Wednesday

Comment

Bad Psychic?

Well this is a first on casebook. 13 posts discussing whether or not a subject should be debated?

Of course 'Wednesday' has obviously read the press reports and already formed his opinion..I suggests he wonders off to the 'Bad Psychic' website where his views are welcome.

I still have my miss givings about sharing information, Even though I also interviewed people with serious reputations on the paranormal like Professor French at Goldsmiths. And checked out 'mythology' with people like Proffessor Hutton at Bristol.

As I said, i think David Farrents interveiw was interesting. And certainly had nothing to do with Vampires...in the way that the tabloid press or the people at 'Bad Psychic' would understand the phenomina...

The question is 'what was that phenomina?'

I looked at similar cases world wide, and throughout history, where people had actually died from such encounters..very interesting.

So personally I think there probably is a serious level on which the 'Phenomina' might be discussed on casebook..

However if people wish to bring the level down to 'Derek' debate (and incidently I know Derek Acorah personally and what ever you say about him, he's a very 'nice' human being, who at least buys drinks at the bar)... then perhaps its not a debate to take place here..?

I'm afriad Kensi I know nothing of S--- Man-------. What I know, sounds silly.

However David Farrent gave an interesting account of what happened that Winter...and was almost certainly wrongfully arrested and prosectuted...

And his claims, have at least, some interesting historical and psychological presedent...

Well there it is..

Good night all

Pirate

Comment

Of course I understand the varied reactions to this subject. But I note that the guidelines listed by Casebook for "Other Mysteries" do say, "historical mysteries, famous crimes, paranormal activity..."

Whether anything paranormal exists at all is a matter of personal belief. For my part, I live in the U.S. I read the book "The Highgate Vampire" and found it astonishing if true, but wondered if it really could be. In 2004 I vacationed in England and took the tour of Highgate Cemetery, where the tour guides cited the damage and outright vandalism of would-be vampire hunters over the years as their reason for shunning the subject. However I found the book's description of the cemetery and surrounding area to be perfectly accurate. Those are my observations so far, and admittedly they are extremely minimal.

Let me try and steer this away from the emotional reaction to the possibility of anything supernatural. There are many things in the book that should be simply a matter or record that do not require any such belief:

The CLAIM- and nothing more- in the local press that people saw and were chased or attacked by a spectral figure.

That graves and even bodies were desecrated (which I saw referenced even in a London travel guide), and that Satanic cult activity in the area was strongly suspected.

That a "vampire hunt" did occur as a media event and drew a huge crowd of onlookers, whether it had real intentions OR was just a publicity stunt.

That a particular tomb in the Lebanon Circle in Highgate Cemetery was temporarily bricked up at one time, as shown in a photo in the book (claimed as an attempt at trapping a vampire inside). As I saw on the tour I took it is not bricked up now.

Even if nothing paranormal has ever existed, these things should be verifiable. That is what I am asking, mainly because I live 4500 miles away and the book is my only source of information on them- can anyone verify that these events and claims did occur? I would just honestly and naievely like to know if the book is putting its own spin on actual events, or if it is making them up entirely. Do those newspaper accounts exist? Does the television news footage exist? I am making no accusations of any kind, I would just really like to know. It does seem, though, that if the events did indeed occur it has to at the very least be a fascinating sociological study in what makes people believe in such things.

Comment

Working...
                              X