Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My JTR book - a humble request for support :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just written a suggestion in my final chapter that's going to really irk a lot of you. When you read it, just...go easy.
    That said I think I cannot call myself a true Ripperologist until a Casebooker has savaged my work in a dissertation!

Comment

Okay guys...this map situation is a nightmare. Literally this is a major thing stalling my progress. I've produced small-scale maps to show certain locations but what I could kill for is a map of the murder sites across Whitechapel (canonical five). I'm still trying to ensure I'm not stepping on toes copyright wise, what advice can you give me?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkPassenger View Post
        Okay guys...this map situation is a nightmare. Literally this is a major thing stalling my progress. I've produced small-scale maps to show certain locations but what I could kill for is a map of the murder sites across Whitechapel (canonical five). I'm still trying to ensure I'm not stepping on toes copyright wise, what advice can you give me?
        I agree with you that accessing clear, accurate and easy to understand maps ais a real problem.

The best map that I have seen is in "The Lodger: Arrest and Escape of Jack the Ripper" by Evans and Skinner, although it doesn't cover the breadth of area I would have preferred.

Have you checked out the "Scene of the Crimes" section in the "Message Boards" on the forum?

There are loads of maps scattered about there.

Good luck.

Comment

Apologies!
          The authors are Evans and Gainey.

Doh!

Comment

My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I've managed to sort out my main map issue!

Now I'm wondering about this map - http://www.casebook.org/official_documents/map/ - specifically the murder scenes selections noted at the bottom of the page. I'd like to use a couple of them in my book if possible but again, not a clue about the copyright situation. I'm assuming I could, but *holds head in hands* who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                Does anyone know if the photo of Annie Chapman and her husband is geninue?
                If I recall correctly (IIRC) that picture surfaced when somebody from the Chapman family gave it to author Neal Shelden. He was researching the victims, was in touch with somebody from the family and again, IIRC, he couldn't believe it when this family person turned up with the photo. I don't think the provenance could be any better.

edit
                Good luck with the book DarkPassenger. I recently listened to a podcast, and I was already aware of the book, about Arthur Conan Doyle being these authors' suspect and the reasons given I wouldn't even call the most flimsiest of circumstantial evidence. I almost made a post here about how I annoyed it made me as there was nobody in the house at the time to vent my feelings to. I say authors as the book is by two people. I think both are doctors. At least one of them is. If my doctor came out with such a book I'd question his sanity and move to another doctor.
                Last edited by Ozzy; 09-16-2017, 05:19 AM.
                These are not clues, Fred.
                It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                We will not.

Comment

It appears the mortuary photos of the victims are all public domain in the UK. This really is a tricky topic.

Comment

Reckon you are pretty safe.

My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Good luck with your book!

Comment

It appears the mortuary photos of the victims are all public domain in the UK. This really is a tricky topic.
                        Hi Dark Passenger

I can't confidently help you directly with your question, but I have a suggestion. I'm a member of an online writers site which has many published and self published authors. Copyright is only one of the issues you will have to navigate. They are a generous bunch on that site and you might find it useful to join and ask them to share their experience, which they happily will.

The site is scribophile.com and you can join for free - though there is also a paid membership option if you wish. You'll find support around covers, publishing, how amazon works etc... and you might find a beta reader (if you haven't already found one). Agents on the site should be able to help with copyright, though when it has come up before they tend to end with - this is general advice - get a legal eagle to check it out before you publish.

Comment

Working...
                        X