Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by MrBarnett 2 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Sedgewick Saunders ....... why did he say the things he said ? - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by DJA 3 hours ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by MrBarnett 3 hours ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by MrBarnett 3 hours ago.
Abberline, Inspector Frederick: Hinting at something? - by Paddy 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - (58 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (35 posts)
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - (34 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Sedgewick Saunders ....... why did he say the things he said ? - (3 posts)
Abberline, Inspector Frederick: Hinting at something? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Old 09-29-2015, 10:01 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrange169 View Post
>>Well Fish you got him on the suspects board.<<

That's weird, I thought I was the one that suggested it?
I think there is every chance that you will go down in history as the man who planted the image of Lechmere as the Whitechapel killer in the minds of people.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Sergeant

Everything I plant dies!

"Whenever an expert says something that bolsters the Lechmere theory, it is not my task to disprove him ..."
Fisherman
Old 09-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Sergeant

Way to go Fish! (and of course Lechmere the former poster).

Now we can follow Patrick being ignored and Dusty leaving the Crossmere theory in the dust (pun intended)...all in one place!

I'm just kidding Fish, I for one appreciate the amount of effort that has been put in to the theory and all the info we've learned along the way becuase of your posts.

Cheers
DRoy
Old 09-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRoy View Post
Way to go Fish! (and of course Lechmere the former poster).

Now we can follow Patrick being ignored and Dusty leaving the Crossmere theory in the dust (pun intended)...all in one place!

I'm just kidding Fish, I for one appreciate the amount of effort that has been put in to the theory and all the info we've learned along the way becuase of your posts.

Cheers
DRoy
Always a twist - otherwise it would not be DRoy...

Many thanks! And quite fair not to forget Edward!!
Old 03-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by curious4 View Post
I would agree - if anyone could name a serial killer who stopped killing and lived on to a ripe old age as a family man.

C4
Zodiac. BTK. Green River Killer. Joseph Kappen. Fred West stopped killing in the 80s before being caught in the 90s.

And whether Lechmere was the Ripper or not...Jack the Ripper obviously died without being caught!
Old 03-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPassenger View Post
Zodiac. BTK. Green River Killer. Joseph Kappen. Fred West stopped killing in the 80s before being caught in the 90s.

And whether Lechmere was the Ripper or not...Jack the Ripper obviously died without being caught!
It's a bit of an overstatement to say that Ridgway stopped. His last identified victim was only a three years before he was arrested and he's always maintained that he killed more than the 49 that he has been convicted for. You can say he slowed down and had a couple extended inactive cycles. Stopped, though, is stretching it a bit.

Last edited by Shaggyrand : 03-19-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Phone autocorrected to "Ridgeway"- didn't notice.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggyrand View Post
It's a bit of an overstatement to say that Ridgway stopped. His last identified victim was only a three years before he was arrested and he's always maintained that he killed more than the 49 that he has been convicted for. You can say he slowed down and had a couple extended inactive cycles. Stopped, though, is stretching it a bit.
Same for Rader (BTK)

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:58 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Same for Rader (BTK)
True but I've seen his "quieting" already covered like crazy on here. Ridgway gave me a chance to flex some KNOWING!! all over the page.
You could make a very good argument that Rader was gearing up to kill again and wanted to be caught. He was stalking new victims, getting rid of old trophies... But since he was caught before it happened he'll always be the big one brought up when "NAME ONE SERIAL KILLER WHO STOPPED! I DARE YA!!!" comes up (which it does a lot more than I figured it would).

Now, Zodiac, could have stopped. He kept writing the police but never gave any information about any actual known murders, talked about plots that never happened and made insanely large victim claims by the end. I just think if he had still been killing, he would have bragged about them more in his letters. He needed the attention more than the killing, I think (who knows? Can't rightly ask him.)
Kappan, the Saturday Night Strangler, is another who might have stopped but just as likely he was actually a serial rapist who just dabbled in killing for a bit and decided it didn't do it for him. That's not unheard of either.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggyrand View Post
True but I've seen his "quieting" already covered like crazy on here. Ridgway gave me a chance to flex some KNOWING!! all over the page.
You could make a very good argument that Rader was gearing up to kill again and wanted to be caught. He was stalking new victims, getting rid of old trophies... But since he was caught before it happened he'll always be the big one brought up when "NAME ONE SERIAL KILLER WHO STOPPED! I DARE YA!!!" comes up (which it does a lot more than I figured it would).

Now, Zodiac, could have stopped. He kept writing the police but never gave any information about any actual known murders, talked about plots that never happened and made insanely large victim claims by the end. I just think if he had still been killing, he would have bragged about them more in his letters. He needed the attention more than the killing, I think (who knows? Can't rightly ask him.)
Kappan, the Saturday Night Strangler, is another who might have stopped but just as likely he was actually a serial rapist who just dabbled in killing for a bit and decided it didn't do it for him. That's not unheard of either.

I too think BTK (isn't that some fancy sandwich) was either planning to kill or trying to get caught, maybe both.

And of course the other's we just don't know if/why they stopped.

Dead
Jail
Sick

Who knows?

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 PM
Chief Inspector

Considering all the dangers lurking at home and in workplaces in Victorian England, not to mention accidents with horses, carts etc every time people ventured out, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Jack had met with an accident very early in 1889, leaving him disabled or dead and cutting his career as a serial killer off prematurely. Karma, perhaps!