Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Torso Killings: torso maps - by Abby Normal 47 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - by Herlock Sholmes 1 hour and 18 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by John Wheat 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by rjpalmer 4 hours ago.
Torso Killings: torso maps - by John G 6 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Robert 9 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - (7 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (5 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (5 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (5 posts)
Visual Media: London 1924 in colour - (4 posts)
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 12-10-2015, 05:29 AM
Chief Inspector

Default JTR a Pranzini Copycat?

Name:  Pranzini.jpeg
Views: 712
Size:  28.1 KB

Hi all,

If you've joined the boards in the last few years... Henri Pranzini murdered three women in Paris in 1887 Ripper-style; deep throat cut and mutilation. On the one year anniversary of his execution (August 31, 1887), the first of the canonical five was murdered. Interestingly, just one hundred yards away from the Nichols murder site was a wax display of Pranzini's execution in a popular Whitechapel Chamber of Horrors wax museum. How coincidental!

Sincerely,

Mike
Old 12-10-2015, 05:36 AM
Chief Inspector

The execution was August 31, 1887, not the one year anneversary!
Old 12-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Interesting. There are similarities, but also major differences.

- Throat slashing. One of the victim was also almost decapitated.

- One of the victim was a courtisane, and Pranzini made money pimping.

but the motive seems to be theft. Also, I don't know where you got the mutilation part, but it's pretty much absent from the French wiki entry, apart from a few lacerations on one of the victim's wrist.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:20 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post
Interesting. There are similarities, but also major differences.

- Throat slashing. One of the victim was also almost decapitated.

- One of the victim was a courtisane, and Pranzini made money pimping.

but the motive seems to be theft. Also, I don't know where you got the mutilation part, but it's pretty much absent from the French wiki entry, apart from a few lacerations on one of the victim's wrist.
Hi SirJohn,

Search deeper than wiki and you'll find it. I have a few contemporary articles if you want to see them.

Also, I'm not saying the Pranzini's motive was the same as JTR, at all. You misundestand. On the streets of Whitechapel Road, across the street from the London Hospital was a Chamber of Horrors wax museum, and on display was the execution of Henri Pranzini. If our killer was across the street from the London Hospital killing Nichols, he clearly knew of this museum and the pictures they had on the streets in order to entice patrons.

Also, in the basement of this very museum, sometimes within hours of the Ripper murders, was a display of JTR's victims. By February, there were six victims displayed and the proprietor even had a wax display of Jack the Ripper.

Sincerely,

Mike
Old 12-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Chief Inspector

Here's the Chamber of Horrors wax museum article (in Rip 130): http://www.searchingfortruthwithabro.../130Wax_v2.pdf

Last edited by mklhawley : 12-10-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:01 AM
Chief Inspector

New York Times of 31 August 1887 reported:

The triple murder in the Rue Montaigne, for the commission of which Henri Pranzini has just surrendered his head to the guillotine, was one of the most sensational tragedies which even Paris has furnished to the criminal records of the world… Marie Regnault, who was also known as Madame de Montille, was found on the floor of her chamber dead, her throat cut and her body terribly mutilated. Lying near the door leading from the chamber to the drawing room was the dead body of Annette, whose throat had also been cut, and in her bed in another apartment was little Marie Gremeret, her head almost severed from her body by the murderer’s knife. [Author emphasis added].

Sincerely,

Mike
Old 12-10-2015, 10:44 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklhawley View Post
Here's the Chamber of Horrors wax museum article (in Rip 130): http://www.searchingfortruthwithabro.../130Wax_v2.pdf
Thanks for sharing the article Mike. I don't currently get the Ripperologist so I missed it.

Interestingly I actually found (and have somewhere) a copy of a page from W. T. Stead's "Pall Mall Gazette" referring to the suspicion of Prazini in the murder of that General's mother. I have to search for it, but it was like one of Stead's news tidbits, of only two or three lines length.

Jeff
Old 12-10-2015, 10:55 AM
Chief Inspector

Thanks, Jeff.

I'm also intrigued at how similar the Anatomical (Florentine) Venus display with the female lying on her back on a bed with her breasts off and her abdominal area exposed looks so much like how they found the body of Mary Kelly.

Even though the Anatomical Venus was no longer in the wax museums in London, they certainly were in the museums across the Atlantic in 1888.

Sincerely,

Mike
Old 12-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Commisioner

Wow, Mike - so many threads with so little to say, and then suddenly - WHAM! - out of the blue, you present something like this!

First of all, congratulations on a very well done job on the wax cabinets of bygone London - extremely interesting reading.

Now, if I may, I would like to present an alternative explanation to how a possible link between Jack and the waxworks may have looked! I think you may find it intriguing.

Over the past month or so, a discussion on the JTR boards has dealt with a very compelling likeness inbetween the murders of Mary Kelly, Annie Chapman and Elizabeth Jackson. The latter was of course a victim (in 1889) of the so called Thames Torso killer.
What links Jackson together with the two Ripper victims is the fact that all three had their abdominal walls removed in large skin flaps, three of them in the cases of Chapman and Kelly, and two in the Jackson case.

To me, that settles the question whether the two men were one and the same: yes, they in all probability were. To imagine two serialists in the same town, at overlapping times, targetting the same kind of victims, engaging in mutilations AND cutting away the abdominal walls in large flaps, is just too much.

So where does that put us? It puts us with a man who set out killing from as early as 1873 and up til at least 1889. And what is the significance of this time space in relation to the waxworks? Well, it lies in how the more scientific type of wax cabinets, the ones displaying anatomical figures, were closed down in - yes, 1873!

Now, take a look at the picture you used in your Ripperologist article, the so called Florentine Anatomical Venus. She provided any onlooker with a comprehensive guide where to find the various innards. Which would potentially explain quite a lot.
But the more interesting thing is HOW this was done!
How can we see the innards? Because, of course, the abdominal wall is taken away.
The Florentine Anatiomical Venus also displays the inside of the thorax, meaning that the breasts are not present.
Now, you have already pointed out what happened to Kelly:
The abdominal wall was cut away, all the way down to the genitals, leaving the outer genitals attaching to the flaps of skin, allowing the killer to look into the abdominal cavity all the way down.
That is exactly what we have with the Florentine Venus.
Kellys breasts were cut away with circular incisions, leaving the inside open to the killers eyes.
Basically, the killer turned her into a copy of the Florentine Venus...!

Chapmans and Jacksons skin flaps were of the same type as Kellys, with the outer genitals attaching to them.

Look at Nichols, how the killer made a number of cuts in the abdominal wall. Look at how he made a half circle along the outer abdominal wall in Eddowes´ case, instead of letting the cut travel straight down - was he aiming to cut the abdominal wall away in these cases too? But was hindered by a shortage of time?

There can of course be no certainty about these matters, but I find the suggestion totally tantalizing - the killer created something that was a copy of the anatomical wax figure that was on display on the corner of Thomas Street up until 1873 - when the Torso murders began.

We are in all probability looking for a man who was of a mature age in 1888, therefore. Guess who fits that bill...?

Thanks for a very interesting thread, Mike. Please let me know what you think of my suggestion!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:31 PM
Commisioner

Thanks Mike, at leat something serious to consider.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.