Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Wickerman 3 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Scott Nelson 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (43 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (28 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (23 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (5 posts)
General Discussion: Do you think it will be solved? - (2 posts)
Witnesses: Mizen's inquest statement reconstructed - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police Officials and Procedures > Swanson, Chief Inspector Donald

Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan H View Post
We can actually see the fictionalisation of the Druitt data.
Is that a royal 'We' or self-serving opinion?

Pirate
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:34 AM
Inactive

Actually, I can hardly see much of anything ...
Old 05-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
I think we must thank Rob House for unearthing another piece of information (ref: Robert House: JTR and the case for Scotland Yard's prime suspect, pp. 224-5.) Apparently George Sim's wrote a piece for Lloyds Weekly News, Sept. 22, 1907. This article appears to have been sourced from the writings of Macnaghten, but as Macnaghten identified the location as “Mitre Square“ and Sims uses “Mitre Court“, the source just may have been Griffith's who also used “Mitre Court“. (...) Sims rewords Macnaghten's summary of what the police new about Kosminski.
Macnaghten had wrote:
"This man in appearance strongly resembled the individual seen by the City P.C. near Mitre Square."
Yet Sims writes a more telling version:
"The policeman who got a glimpse of Jack in Mitre Court said, when some time afterwards he saw the Pole, that he was the height and build of the man he had seen on the night of the murder."
We might well ask about the part which reads "... when some time afterwards he saw the Pole,...".(...)We might wonder if this is a degree of (...) confirmation that there was indeed a policeman who was a witness, and who did take part in a subsequent identification - the second identification! A policeman who could only recognise the suspect by his height and build hardly suits Anderson's witness who had a "good view" and "at once identified him". Because we are dealing with George Sims I would not believe it is just a poor choice of words, Sims was among the elite in his field.
This cannot refer to Robert Sagar, as Sagar didn't see a man in Mitre Square himself. Apparently the suggestion has been made that PC Harvey might have seen someone during his beat in Mitre Square? As for PC Collins, I don't recall the specifics.
I'll have a look at this when I get the Robert House book in my hands, but I won't be able to really concentrate on this book before June.

Last edited by mariab : 05-16-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:22 PM
Superintendent

Default Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
I think we must thank Rob House for unearthing another piece of information.
Apparently George Sim's wrote a piece for Lloyds Weekly News, Sept. 22, 1907. This article appears to have been sourced from the writings of Macnaghten, but as Macnaghten identified the location as 'Mitre Square' and Sims uses 'Mitre Court', the source just may have been Griffith's who also used 'Mitre Court'.
Regards, Jon S.
Ref: Jack the Ripper and the case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect, Robert House, 2011, pp224/5.
Hi Jon, Whilst I try to avoid 'blowing my own trumpet', may I just correct you on this minor point.

Rob did not 'unearth' this 'piece of information', I discovered it by sheer serendipity back in 1993. When I purchased the Littlechild letter there were several other letters to Sims with it. One of these was from an Ernest Crawford of Bath, dated 24 September 1907, and Crawford started 'I was much interested in your theories respecting the identity of Jack the Ripper in your recent article in Lloyd's.'

I alerted my colleague and ace researcher Keith Skinner and he quickly found the piece, 'My Criminal Museum' in Lloyd's Weekly News of Sept. 22, 1907. It has been published, and discussed, before.

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
I alerted my colleague and ace researcher Keith Skinner and he quickly found the piece, 'My Criminal Museum' in Lloyd's Weekly News of Sept. 22, 1907. It has been published, and discussed, before.
There's a full transcript of this article (and also a scan) on the G. R. Sims page of the press reports section:
http://www.casebook.org/press_reports/dagonet.html
Old 05-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Superintendent

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
There's a full transcript of this article (and also a scan) on the G. R. Sims page of the press reports section:
Thanks for that Chris. I supplied Stephen with the Sims transcripts many years ago (in the 1990s).

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Sergeant

Quote:

Thanks Chris.

That Casebook page on Sims' JtR articles is my favourite page on the site. Sims' backhanded compliment on the police investigation always makes me smile -

"The wrong man has not been arrested this week quite so frequently as he was last........"

Last edited by jason_c : 05-16-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Thanks so much, Chris, for providing the link. I'll read the article transcript when I manage (possibly very late tonight).
Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
Hi Jon, Whilst I try to avoid 'blowing my own trumpet', may I just correct you on this minor point.
My sincere apologies Stewart, I was not actually thinking how I worded that, perhaps I should have wrote, "Rob presented" as opposed to "unearthed", sorry about that.

All the best, Jon S.