Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Darryl Kenyon 13 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Batman 16 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Abby Normal 20 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - by Abby Normal 24 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Abby Normal 28 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by NickB 35 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Elizabeth Stride: For what reason do we include Stride? - (23 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (14 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (10 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Eddowes' gut cut - (5 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
General Discussion: The Weapon - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police Officials and Procedures > Swanson, Chief Inspector Donald

Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Septic Blue

Default "Stepney Workhouse"

Hi all,

The following was originally posted last week, in the "Swanson Marginalia" thread:

It would appear that the establishment of The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney in 1900, has provided a convenient explanation for one of the inconsistencies between the purported assertions of Donald Swanson and the documented fate of Aaron Kosminski.

However, we must avoid the temptation to push square pegs into round holes, when attempting to rationalize the obvious shortcomings of the so-called Swanson Marginalia.

The Bottom Line: With the possible exception of some sort of vernacular (perhaps used by Swanson), Mile End Old Town Workhouse was never known as “Stepney Workhouse”.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 7159
Size:  104.3 KB
1901 Census of England & Wales
Description of Enumeration District
Municipal Borough: The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney
Registration District: Mile End Old Town
Registration Sub-District: Mile End Old Town Eastern
Enumeration District: Whitechapel Union Workhouse, South Grove, Mile End Old Town
RG13_338_340-0162

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 6918
Size:  99.6 KB
Registration District: Whitechapel
Registration Sub-District: Mile End New Town
Enumeration District: Whitechapel Union Infirmary, Vallance Road, Mile End New Town
RG13_304_306-0095

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 6290
Size:  107.8 KB
Registration District: St. George in the East
Registration Sub-District: St. John
Enumeration District: St. George in the East Workhouse, Raine Street, St. George in the East
RG13_313_315-0553

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 6668
Size:  99.2 KB
Enumeration District: Mile End Old Town Workhouse, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town
RG13_338_340-0190

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 6003
Size:  98.0 KB
Enumeration District: Mile End Old Town Infirmary, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town
RG13_338_340-0220

Did each of these Poor Law institutions become “Stepney Something-or-Other”, with the establishment of The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in 1900 ??? Obviously, they did not !!!

Did Mile End Road become “Stepney Road” ??? Did Whitechapel Road also become “Stepney Road” ??? What about St. George Street: Did it become “Stepney Street” ??? Let’s not forget Spitalfields Market and Shadwell Basin: Did they become “Stepney Market” and “Stepney Basin”, respectively ???

--- More to Follow

Last edited by Septic Blue : 02-20-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Septic Blue

What about these Poor Law institutions ???

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 6255
Size:  89.6 KB
Municipal Borough: The Metropolitan Borough of Poplar
Registration District: Poplar
Registration Sub-District: Bromley
Enumeration District: Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard’s Street, Bromley St. Leonard
RG13_351_353-0176

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 6607
Size:  99.8 KB
Municipal Borough: The Metropolitan Borough of Poplar
Registration District: Poplar
Registration Sub-District: Bromley
Enumeration District: The City of London Union Infirmary, Bow Road, Bromley St. Leonard
RG13_351_353-0111

Did each become “Poplar Something-or-Other”, with the establishment of The Metropolitan Borough of Poplar, in 1900 ??? Again, they obviously did not !!!

Did Bow Road become “Poplar Road” ??? What about Bromley High Street: Did it become “Poplar High Street” ??? Did it replace the existing “Poplar High Street” ??? Millwall Football Club continued to play on The Isle of Dogs until 1910: Why didn’t they become “Poplar Football Club” ???

Will any of the above Descriptions of Enumeration District read differently in the 1911 Census of England & Wales, when it becomes accessible in three years ??? No, they will not !!!

I realize I’m being somewhat obnoxious, but no attempt to circumvent the tough questions that must be asked of the so-called Swanson Marginalia, should go unchecked.

The notion that Mile End Old Town Workhouse came to be known as “Stepney Workhouse” has been in circulation for quite some time. I am quite certain that it was concocted to lend unwarranted credence to the margin notes purportedly written by Swanson and the so-called Polish Jew Theory.

------

Assuming that Swanson was in fact, the author of these notes:

- He may have had difficulty recalling the fact that Aaron Kosminski was admitted to Mile End Old Town Infirmary (located on the grounds of Mile End Old Town Workhouse)

- He may have been using some sort of vernacular reference to Mile End Old Town Infirmary

__ Colloquialisms abounded in Swanson’s day, and still do:

__ “Bromley Workhouse”
__ “South Grove Workhouse”
__ “Gray’s Inn Road Workhouse”
__ “Baker’s Row Infirmary”
__ “Shoe Lane Casual Ward”
__ “Golden Lane Mortuary”
__ “St. George’s in the East”
__ “High Street, Stepney”
__ “High Street, Norton Folgate”
__ “High Street, Aldgate” ***

*** Remember that one, folks ???

- Or, perhaps he was referring to someone other than Aaron Kosminski

------

The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney was established in 1900, in accordance with the London Government Act, 1899; replacing what had been the following administrative units of The Metropolitan Board of Works:

Whitechapel District
- The Liberty of Norton Folgate
- The Old Artillery Ground
- Christ Church Spitalfields
- The Hamlet of Mile End New Town
- Holy Trinity Minories
- St. Mary Whitechapel (Middlesex)
- The Liberty of Her Majesty’s Tower of London
--- The Liberty of the Tower
--- The Precinct of Old Tower Without
--- The Tower
- The Precinct of St. Katharine
- St. Botolph Without Aldgate (Middlesex); a.k.a. "East Smithfield"

Mile End Old Town Parish
- The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town

St. George in the East Parish
- St. George in the East

Limehouse District
- St. John of Wapping
- St. Paul Shadwell
- The Hamlet of Ratcliff
- St. Anne Limehouse

Further east, The Metropolitan Borough of Poplar was born of a similar administrative unit of The Metropolitan Board of Works:

Poplar District
- St. Mary Stratford Bow
- Bromley St. Leonard
- All Saints Poplar

The area encompassed by the two Metropolitan Boroughs constituted (1832-1867: Part Of) (1867-1918: The Whole Of) The Parliamentary Borough of Tower Hamlets. In 1965, they joined the Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green, in forming today’s London Borough of Tower Hamlets.

Each Poor Law institution (workhouse, infirmary, casual ward, etc…) belonged to its respective Poor Law Parish (i.e., Mile End Old Town) or Poor Law Union (i.e., Whitechapel), and was administered accordingly:

Whitechapel Poor Law Union (1837-1921); Whitechapel Poor Law Parish (1921-1925)
- Holy Trinity Minories
--- The Tower
- St. Botolph Without Aldgate (Middlesex); a.k.a. "East Smithfield"

__ Whitechapel Union Workhouse, South Grove, Mile End Old Town (1872-1921)
__ Whitechapel Union Infirmary, Charles Street / Baker’s Row / Vallance Road, Mile End New Town (1872-1921)

Mile End Old Town Poor Law Parish (1857-1925)

__ Mile End Old Town Workhouse, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town (1859-1925)
__ Mile End Old Town Infirmary (located on the grounds of Mile End Old Town Workhouse)

St. George in the East Poor Law Parish (1836-1925)
- St. George in the East

__ St. George in the East Workhouse, Raine Street, St. George in the East (1836-1925)
__ St. George in the East Infirmary (located on the grounds of St. George in the East Workhouse)

Stepney Poor Law Union (1836-1921); Limehouse Poor Law Parish (1921-1925)
- St. John of Wapping
- St. Paul Shadwell
- The Hamlet of Ratcliff
- St. Anne Limehouse
- The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town (1836–1857)

__ Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard’s Street, Bromley St. Leonard (1863-1921)
__ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon’s Road, Bromley St. Leonard (1871-1930?) – A Poor Law infirmary, shared by the Poor Law Unions of Poplar and Stepney (Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District) – If the “Kosminski” purportedly named by Swanson was in fact, entrusted to the care of the Guardians of Stepney Poor Law Union *, then he was in all likelihood, admitted to this facility, as opposed to Stepney Union Workhouse

* This would almost invariably have necessitated his being a resident of Stepney Poor Law Union (St. John of Wapping; St. Paul Shadwell; The Hamlet of Ratcliff; St. Anne Limehouse) or Poplar Poor Law Union (St. Mary Stratford Bow; Bromley St. Leonard; All Saints Poplar), as opposed to “his brother’s house in Whitechapel”

Poplar Poor Law Union (1836-1907); Poplar Borough Poor Law Parish (1907-1930)
- St. Mary Stratford Bow
- Bromley St. Leonard
- All Saints Poplar

__ Poplar Union Workhouse, Poplar High Street, All Saints Poplar (1836-1907)
__ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon’s Road, Bromley St. Leonard (1871-1930?) – A Poor Law infirmary, shared by the Poor Law Unions of Poplar and Stepney (Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District)

Consolidation of London’s Poor Law geography within the framework of its Metropolitan Boroughs was not implemented until the 1920’s:

1857: Establishment of Mile End Old Town Poor Law Parish; Removal of The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town, from Stepney Poor Law Union

1858-1859: Construction of Mile End Old Town Workhouse

1861-1863: Construction of Stepney Union Workhouse, on acquired land in Bromley St. Leonard (Poplar Poor Law Union)

1868: Establishment of Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District

1869-1871: Construction of Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum

1900: Establishment of The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, in accordance with the London Government Act, 1899; Existing Poor Law Parishes and Poor Law Unions remained fully intact, under the administration of their respective Board’s of Guardians

1907: Re-Designation of Poplar Poor Law Union as “Poplar Borough Parish” (cosmetic change)

1913: Discontinuation of the term “Workhouse” throughout most of the English Poor Law system (cosmetic change)

- Most workhouses assumed the designation “Poor Law Institution” or “Guardians’ Institution”; but some took on more colourful names:

- St. George in the East Workhouse became The House
- Stepney Union Workhouse became Bromley House Institution
- The City of London Union Infirmary became Bow Institution
- Bethnal Green Workhouse became Waterloo House

- Interestingly, Shoreditch Poor Law Parish came under the jurisdiction of certain Acts, which pre-dated the Poor Law Amendment Act, 1834:

- Shoreditch Workhouse remained Shoreditch Workhouse

1921: Re-Designation of Whitechapel Poor Law Union as “Whitechapel Poor Law Parish” (cosmetic change); Re-Designation of Stepney Poor Law Union as “Limehouse Poor Law Parish” (cosmetic change)

1925: Establishment of new Stepney Poor Law Union, encompassing all of The Metropolitan Borough of Stepney, and administered by a single Board of Guardians

- Whitechapel Poor Law Parish
- Mile End Old Town Poor Law Parish
- St. George in the East Poor Law Parish
- Limehouse Poor Law Parish

-Finally, after all these years (from 1857), we again see a connection between Mile End Old Town and Stepney Poor Law Union. But, guess what: Swanson died in 1924 !!!

1927: Re-Designation of Stepney Poor Law Union as “Stepney Union Parish” (cosmetic change)

1930: Abolishment of English Poor Law system

I apologize for the manner, in which I have piled on the preceding information, in such an unorganized and somewhat redundant format. I would have preferred a fluid narrative, but simply don’t have the time to compose one.

My JtR project has finally begun to take shape; so, excepting the occasional visit, I will be absent from the message boards, for quite some time. I will be around, however, to clarify any of the above, if necessary.

Once Again;

The Bottom Line: With the possible exception of some sort of vernacular (perhaps used by Swanson), Mile End Old Town Workhouse was never known as “Stepney Workhouse”.

Colin
Name:  Septic Blue.gif
Views: 4950
Size:  12.4 KB

Last edited by Septic Blue : 02-20-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Septic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
"With the possible exception of some sort of vernacular (perhaps used by Swanson), the Mile End Old Town Workhouse was never known as "Stepney Workhouse"."

I've always thought this and have argued that Swanson wouldn't have misnamed the Workhouse and mistakenly thought that the suspect had died soon after admission to the asylum.

However, Paul Begg, in The Facts, p. 378, writes that "the expanding Borough of Stepney absorbed Mile End Old Town in 1901, so when Swanson wrote nine years later, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was Stepney Workhouse."

Maybe a search of the Stepney Union, St. Leonard Street, records could reveal something (I don't think that Fido or Sugden covered these records, assuming that they still exist). Rob House accessed the Bromley (Stepney) Sick Asylum records and found Thomas Murray.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic Blue View Post
Quote:
However, Paul Begg, in The Facts, p. 378, writes that "the expanding Borough of Stepney absorbed Mile End Old Town in 1901, so when Swanson wrote nine years later, Mile End Old Town Workhouse was Stepney Workhouse."
"was": Begg's emphasis.

Hi Scott,

I was acutely aware of Begg's assertion, when typing my initial post to this thread.

Colin Name:  Septic Blue.gif
Views: 4904
Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Septic Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Phillips View Post
Quote:

I'm sure you're absolutely right as far as the official designation goes. And there would have to be solid evidence before anyone could accept that MEOT Workhouse was known unofficially as Stepney Workhouse.

But I think it's fair to point out that the possibility isn't as outlandish as it may sound, because MEOT Workhouse was close to Stepney Green - the area that was known as Stepney, and where the word "Stepney" is likely to be printed on a map - whereas the Stepney Union Workhouse was more than a mile further east, in the area known as Bromley by Bow.

Chris Phillips
I have not been able to find my reply to Chris, but will respond again when time permits.

Views: 4879

Last edited by Septic Blue : 02-20-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:30 AM
Septic Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Phillips View Post
But I think it's fair to point out that the possibility isn't as outlandish as it may sound, because MEOT Workhouse was close to Stepney Green - the area that was known as Stepney, and where the word "Stepney" is likely to be printed on a map - whereas the Stepney Union Workhouse was more than a mile further east, in the area known as Bromley by Bow.
I have not been able to find my reply to Chris, but will respond again when time permits.
My initial reply to Chris, was to the best of my recollection:

"... the possibility isn't as outlandish as it may sound,"

I agree, Chris !!! That's why I left ample room for:

Quote:
the possible exception of some sort of vernacular (perhaps used by Swanson)
After all, the Hamlets of Mile End New Town, Mile End Old Town and Ratcliff, were the last remaining components of the Ancient Parish of St. Dunstan Stepney, until they too were designated Civil Parishes in 1866. This marked the point, at which St. Dunstan Stepney ceased to exist as a political entity; maintaining only its status as an Ecclesiastical Parish.

Also, bear in mind the fact that The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town was a component of Stepney Poor Law Union until 1857.

"... MEOT Workhouse was close to Stepney Green - the area that was known as Stepney,"

It is interesting to note that you mention Stepney Green:

Quote:
__ Colloquialisms abounded in Swanson’s day, and still do:

__ “Bromley Workhouse”
__ “South Grove Workhouse”
__ “Gray’s Inn Road Workhouse”
__ “Baker’s Row Infirmary”
__ “Shoe Lane Casual Ward”
__ “Golden Lane Mortuary”
__ “St. George’s in the East”
__ “High Street, Stepney”
__ “High Street, Norton Folgate”
__ “High Street, Aldgate”

Aaron Kosminski was examined on February 6, 1891, at Mile End Old Town Infirmary, by Dr. Edmund King Houchin of 23 "High Street, Stepney".

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 7111
Size:  55.5 KB
1881 Census of England & Wales
Registration District:
Mile End Old Town
Civil Parish: The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town
Ecclesiastical Parish: St. Dunstan Stepney
Enumeration District: 17
Page: 62
RG11_481_484-0299

151 Stepney Green
Edmund K Houchin
Head
Physician
Colchester

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 5421
Size:  52.6 KB
1881 Census of England & Wales
Registration District:
Mile End Old Town
Page: 43
RG11_481_484-0280

23 Stepney Green
George H Werry
Head
City Missionary
Reading

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 5117
Size:  53.4 KB
1891 Census of England & Wales
Registration District:
Mile End Old Town
Page: 62
RG12_306_307-0596

151 Stepney Green
George H Werry
Head
Protestant Minister
Reading

Edmund Houchin & Family are recorded as residents of 151 Stepney Green (a.k.a. "High Street, Stepney"), Mile End Old Town, in the 1881 census. They do not seem to be apparent in the 1891 returns; and in 1901, they turn up in Ilford.

It is entirely possible that they resided at 23 Stepney Green, Mile End Old Town, in February 1891, or that Houchin conducted his practice there.

There seems to be some other connection, however, between numbers 23 & 151 Stepney Green, in going from 1881 to 1891: Namely, George H Werry & Family.

Either way, the use of vernacular can confuse any landscape, and should therefore be avoided. While some of the examples listed above, can cause little-to-no confusion (i.e., "Shoe Lane Casual Ward"), and admittedly are quite harmless; others can cause a great deal of confusion (i.e., "Bromley Workhouse"), and quite literally are detrimental to our understanding of this case. Our beloved "Stepney Workhouse", of course, falls into the latter category, when used in any context other than an abbreviated reference to Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard.

Views: 4862

Last edited by Septic Blue : 02-21-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Septic Blue

Name:  11.JPG
Views: 6544
Size:  265.6 KB
Mile End Old Town Workhouse, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town
Foundation Stone, October 2007

Name:  12.JPG
Views: 6867
Size:  224.0 KB
Mile End Old Town Workhouse, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town
from Southwest, October 2007

Views: 4806
Old 02-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Septic Blue

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 7239
Size:  49.8 KB
Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard
from Southwest, c. 1930's

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 6582
Size:  257.8 KB
Site of Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard
2006 Aerial
Green Dot:
Approximate Location, from which Following Photograph was Taken

Name:  15.JPG
Views: 6409
Size:  167.3 KB
Site of Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard's Street, Bromley St. Leonard
from Northeast, October 2007

Views: 4737
Old 02-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Septic Blue

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 6033
Size:  37.1 KB
Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon's Road, Bromley St. Leonard
from West, c. 1905

Name:  17.JPG
Views: 5957
Size:  172.9 KB
from West, October 2007

Name:  18.JPG
Views: 5599
Size:  140.2 KB
from Southwest, October 2007

Name:  19.JPG
Views: 6338
Size:  167.2 KB
from Southeast, October 2007

Views: 4644
Old 02-21-2008, 08:43 AM
Septic Blue

Quote:
Maybe a search of the Stepney Union, St. Leonard Street, records could reveal something (I don't think that Fido or Sugden covered these records, assuming that they still exist). Rob House accessed the Bromley (Stepney) Sick Asylum records and found Thomas Murray.
Point of Clarification:

__ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon’s Road, Bromley St. Leonard

If the “Kosminski” purportedly named by Swanson was in fact, entrusted to the care of the Guardians of Stepney Poor Law Union *, then he was in all likelihood, admitted to this facility, as opposed to Stepney Union Workhouse.

* This would almost invariably have necessitated his being a resident of Stepney Poor Law Union (St. John of Wapping; St. Paul Shadwell; The Hamlet of Ratcliff; St. Anne Limehouse) or Poplar Poor Law Union (St. Mary Stratford Bow; Bromley St. Leonard; All Saints Poplar), as opposed to “his brother’s house in Whitechapel”

Each Poor Law institution (workhouse, infirmary, casual ward, etc…) belonged to its respective Poor Law Parish (i.e., Mile End Old Town) or Poor Law Union (i.e., Stepney), and was administered by a Board of Guardians. Each Guardian represented the Civil Parish, which constituted the Poor Law Parish itself, or one of the Civil Parishes within the Poor Law Union. They were elected by those residents of their respective Civil Parishes, who were assessed the Poor Rate (welfare tax). The Boards of Guardians were thus compelled to administer Poor Relief (welfare) as economically as possible.

Therefore, excepting cases of extreme urgency and other extenuating circumstances covered by the Poor Law Amendment Act, 1834, applicants were rarely admitted to a Parish/Union Infirmary or Workhouse unless they had residence within the boundaries of the respective Poor Law Parish or Poor Law Union.

---------

Whitechapel Poor Law Union (1837-1921); Whitechapel Poor Law Parish (1921-1925)
- Holy Trinity Minories
--- The Tower
- St. Botolph Without Aldgate (Middlesex); a.k.a. “East Smithfield”

__ Whitechapel Union Workhouse, South Grove, Mile End Old Town (1872-1921)
__ Whitechapel Union Infirmary, Charles Street / Baker’s Row / Vallance Road, Mile End New Town (1872-1921)

---------

Mile End Old Town Poor Law Parish (1857-1925)

__ Mile End Old Town Workhouse, Bancroft Road, Mile End Old Town (1859-1925)
__ Mile End Old Town Infirmary (located on the grounds of Mile End Old Town Workhouse)

---------

St. George in the East Poor Law Parish (1836-1925)
- St. George in the East

__ St. George in the East Workhouse, Raine Street, St. George in the East (1836-1925)
__ St. George in the East Infirmary (located on the grounds of St. George in the East Workhouse)

---------

Stepney Poor Law Union (1836-1921); Limehouse Poor Law Parish (1921-1925)
- St. John of Wapping
- St. Paul Shadwell
- The Hamlet of Ratcliff
- St. Anne Limehouse
- The Hamlet of Mile End Old Town (1836–1857)

__ Stepney Union Workhouse, St. Leonard’s Street, Bromley St. Leonard (1863-1921)
__ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon’s Road, Bromley St. Leonard (1871-1930?) – A Poor Law infirmary, shared by the Poor Law Unions of Poplar and Stepney (Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District) – Again; if the “Kosminski” purportedly named by Swanson was in fact, entrusted to the care of the Guardians of Stepney Poor Law Union *, then he was in all likelihood, admitted to this facility, as opposed to Stepney Union Workhouse

*Again; this would almost invariably have necessitated his being a resident of Stepney Poor Law Union (St. John of Wapping; St. Paul Shadwell; The Hamlet of Ratcliff; St. Anne Limehouse) or Poplar Poor Law Union (St. Mary Stratford Bow; Bromley St. Leonard; All Saints Poplar), as opposed to “his brother’s house in Whitechapel”

---------

Poplar Poor Law Union (1836-1907); Poplar Borough Poor Law Parish (1907-1930)
- St. Mary Stratford Bow
- Bromley St. Leonard
- All Saints Poplar

__ Poplar Union Workhouse, Poplar High Street, All Saints Poplar (1836-1907)
__ Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, Devon’s Road, Bromley St. Leonard (1871-1930?) – A Poor Law infirmary, shared by the Poor Law Unions of Poplar and Stepney (Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum District)

---------

OK !!! This was intended to be a point of clarification, but it would appear that I have simply piled on even more mumbo jumbo.

So, here it is, in a nutshell:

Aaron Kosminski was taken specifically to Mile End Old Town Infirmary for one very simple reason: He lived in Mile End Old Town !!!

Whitechapel Union Infirmary and St. George in the East Infirmary were both located in closer proximity to his Sion Square and Greenfield Street addresses. But, Mile End Old Town Infirmary was the only Poor Law infirmary, to which he was eligible to gain admission.

This does not necessarily conflict however, with Swanson’s purported reference to “his brother’s house in Whitechapel”, as each of these two addresses could have been easily mistaken for having been in “Whitechapel”.

On the other hand; for any suspect, be it the “Kosminski” purportedly named by Swanson, or anyone else for that matter, to have gained admission to either Stepney Union Workhouse or Poplar & Stepney Sick Asylum, he would have been required to have had residence in one of the following:

- St. John of Wapping
- St. Paul Shadwell
- The Hamlet of Ratcliff
- St. Anne Limehouse
- St. Mary Stratford Bow
- Bromley St. Leonard
- All Saints Poplar

This clearly conflicts with Swanson’s purported reference to “his brother’s house in Whitechapel”; unless, of course, we assume that his similarly purported reference to “Stepney Workhouse” was merely a vernacular reference to Mile End Old Town Workhouse.

Colin
Name:  Septic Blue.gif
Views: 4701
Old 03-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Default Bromley workhouse?

I have a query if anyone can help? It's not connected to Kosminski but to the location of a 'Bromley workhouse.'

I have checked the census enumeration books looking for a 'Bromley workhouse' as mentioned by Booth in his notes from the 'Stepney Union workhouse records,' but without success. He also mentions the Poplar workhouse in High Street in these records and I see Colin has posted the census listing for that.
The only reference I can find to Bromley workhouse is a listing from an index with a date source given as 1888, that Scott Nelson has already mentioned before, as being on Love Lane off St Leonard St Bromley.
The Stepney Union Workhouse was also on St leonards Street Bromley, is Bromley Workhouse the Stepney Union Workhouse? Especially as the Poplar and Stepney sick asylum was also known as the Bromley sick asylum.

I am not DJA. He's called Dave.