No announcement yet.

Photographs of Bury?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found this picture of a John William Bury at http://www.cottontown.org/page.cfm?p...8&language=eng which is the same pic as yours swagman.

Comment

Bury's 1889 Execution Notice

Hi, folks. Here's the Dundee Prison notice starting that Bury's death sentence was carried out.

Best regards, Archaic
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by johns View Post
        I've found this picture of a John William Bury at http://www.cottontown.org/page.cfm?p...8&language=eng which is the same pic as yours swagman.
        Seems this John William Bury was a supervisor at a Lancashire textile factory before emigrating to Australia aged 20. So, whilst still firmly working-class, he was nonetheless respectable, and quite a few rungs up the ladder from an East End sawdust-hawker. I thought he looked a little too comfortable in those clothes
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by johns View Post
          the image isn't a million miles off the Dundee Courier sketch we all know.
          Indeed Johns!
          The expression is much the same...This pointed nose... And this particular shape of the eyes and eyelids... It may well be Bury... Or a quite extraordinary coincidence.

Amitiés all, and thanks to Swagman,
          David

Comment

Originally posted by swagman View Post
            Hi. I appreciate this may sound awfully amateurish but i have the attached photo in my dossiers filed as 'bury ?' but cannot recall where it came from (i think from some thread on the basebook in fact ?).

Therefore I believe that it is William Bury but cannot verify its source - apologies.

I cannot say whether its from his time at Dunstall park (Wolverhampton Races)

Paul
            This might be our man. Look at the "carrotty Moustache"he wears.
            It was Bury whodunnit. The black eyed scoundrel.

The yam yams are the men, who won't be blamed for nothing..

Comment

Bury at Wolverhampton Races?

Bury's trip to Wolverhampton was said by Ellen's sister to have taken place in August. MacPherson suggests it may have been earlier, to account for Bury renting in Bow from 11 August.

However there were no racing meetings in Wolverhampton between 1878 and August 1888 when the new course opened at Dunstall, with events on 13th and 14th of that month.

If the press are correct in saying that Bury attended the Wolverhampton races he could not have done so prior to 13 August.

Comment

While we don't have the August 1888 Wolverhampton photo(s) of Bury, there is what is apparently an ink reproduction of one on page 101 of Beadle's 2009 book (sorry but I don't think I can legally post the image here without permission from the publisher). Assuming this reproduction is accurate, I think it's possible to learn a couple of things from it.

1. Bury does have a decent pair of shoulders ("broad-shouldered" is obviously a subjective term, see what you think).

2. His moustache is dark (but alas it is hard for it to look otherwise when drawn with black ink...according to the 3/29/89 Dundee Courier & Argus Bury had "light sandy-coloured whiskers").

3. His boots appear to have maybe a one-inch heel, so perhaps make Bury's actual height 5'4" or 5'4.5" when assessing him against witness descriptions that provide a specific height estimate (however there were at least two pairs of men's boots at the Princes Street residence in addition to the pair Bury might have worn to the Dundee police station). Did men's boots have a standard heel height at that time?

4. I'm afraid I don't know very much about hats. What sort of hat is Bury holding on his leg? Macpherson mentions Bury wearing a hat to the police station plus there were two "felt hats" and one "tile hat" in the Princes Street residence, meaning that Bury would have owned four different hats at the time he was taken into custody. Some types of hats add "height" to a person. Would the police have specifically instructed a witness to include or to discount a hat when providing a height estimate?
                “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                http://www.williambury.org

Comment

Hi Wyatt

The hat in the drawing looks like some kind of felt hat...whatever it is, it certainly isn't a tile hat as I understand the term...can't help you with the boots though...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                    Hi Wyatt

The hat in the drawing looks like some kind of felt hat...whatever it is, it certainly isn't a tile hat as I understand the term...can't help you with the boots though...

All the best

Dave
                    Thanks, Dave. If the witnesses providing the specific height estimates were going to the top of the hat—and again, I don’t know if they were—then that would help to reconcile the height estimates in the case. Elizabeth Long and Joseph Levy didn’t say that the man they saw was 5’3”, they only said that he was a little taller than the woman next to him. Bury was 5’3” or 5’3.5”. Give him an inch or so from his boots and another inch or two from his hat, and he would still make sense for Levy and Long (Chapman and Eddowes were both also wearing boots and headgear), but at around 5’6” or so total Bury would now also become a very good fit for the witnesses providing specific height estimates such as Marshall, Brown, Smith, Schwartz and even Lawende (his low estimate).
                    Last edited by Wyatt Earp; 08-24-2013, 08:50 PM.
                    “When a major serial killer case is finally solved and all the paperwork completed, police are sometimes amazed at how obvious the killer was and how they were unable to see what was right before their noses.” —Robert D. Keppel and William J. Birnes, The Psychology of Serial Killer Investigations

William Bury, Victorian Murderer
                    http://www.williambury.org

Comment

Working...
                    X