Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A woman murdered in Whitechapel/Aldgate ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A woman murdered in Whitechapel/Aldgate ?

Hi,

I've just read the book "The Thames Torso Murders of Victoria London" of R. Michael Gordon, and he alludes to a murder occured before the Ripper's serie : the mutilated remains of a woman would have been found in a tunnel linking Whitechapel to Aldgate ... what's this story ??? First time I hear that ? Is there any contemporary trace or is it just an error of the author ?
    Thanks in advance.

Hello EJ,

While I read that book I was puzzled to that as well. I have trawled the newspapers a bit and haven't found anything. Of coarse I don't believe he gives a date either does he?

I dunno if it is any error, but it would be interested to find more on it.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

No date was given, that's what make me suspicious.

Comment

Hello EJ,

Right now I am searching press clips to try and find something at least similar.
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

William Fishman says something similar in in East End 1888 (1988; p. 208):
          Strangely enough, in the two murders of women before the Ripper's onslaught began, both victims were immigrant Jewesses. The first was perpetrated by a jealous husband; in the second, the body was found wth 'shocking injuries' in the tunnel between Aldgate East and St Mary's, Whitechapel.

When I asked about this in 2007, Chris Scott suggested that the body in the tunnel might be that of Mary Ann Trowbridge. Her inquest was reported as follows in the Times of 5 February 1887. There are similarities, but there are obviously discrepancies too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trowbridge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	660975

Comment

Interesting find, Chris, thank you for sharing !

Comment

Working...
            X