The JtR Meta-poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The JtR Meta-poll

I'm posting a meta-poll to see where people stand on various hot-button topics related to the Ripper. I will surely forget some, so feel free to suggest more for my meta-poll II.

ETA: if it's not clear, tick off the ones you agree with.
    JtR is someone who was known to the police at the time.
    44.44%
    JtR is a suspect named by a modern investigator.
    22.22%
    JtR has never been named by any investigator.
    40.74%
    Caroline Maxwell saw the real MJK.
    11.11%
    MJK died sometime between the Maxwell sighting, and Bowyer's discovery.
    11.11%
    MJK was not the Miller's Court victim.
    7.41%
    Stride was not a Ripper victim.
    14.81%
    Tabram was a Ripper victim.
    48.15%
    At least one torso victim was a Ripper victim.
    7.41%
    Excluding Stride, the C4 were by different hands.
    7.41%
    Last edited by RivkahChaya; 09-25-2015, 11:08 AM.

Really the only one of these that I'm convinced of is that JtR has probably yet to be named. It's possible the police or a modern researcher has named him but I haven't heard a truly compelling case yet. Some solid enough that I understand the researcher feeling justified but not one that has convinced me, personally. I also hold the opinion that a real identification is completely impossible but hell the speculation is fun.

While I don't think Tabram was a Ripper victim, I think it's likely that Alice Mackenzie was.
    I do not think that Maxwell saw Kelly that morning, just makes the window for her murder to be incredibly tight. Not impossible just tighter than I think is likely. It's a shame the doctor didn't get a look at her when first found because that could have at least put this to rest.
    Stride and at least one torso possibly being JtR... I go back and fourth on.
    I don't think he stopped after Kelly. The Kelly murder gave him privacy and time to really indulge. JtR just found another MO when he didn't get the same thrill killing Mackenzie as he had in the earlier murders and adapted.
    I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

I voted for Jack being known by the police at the time.
      I think Caroline Maxwell saw the real Mary Jane Kelly, and that someone else (who resembled Kelly) was murdered in her place.
      I don't think the murder took place after Maxwell's sighting and before the body's discovery-- the old timeline holds, but the other woman was in the bed and MJK was gone from her room.
      Last edited by Pcdunn; 09-25-2015, 01:38 PM. Reason: Fixing typo
      Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

When you say "known to the police", do you mean that he was known to them to be the murderer, or just that he was someone who'd been spoken to in the course of the investigation?
        - Ginger

Comment

The only question I agreed with was the third - that JtR has never been named by anyone, past or present.

As for Stride being a Ripper victim, I'm 50/50 with that - not sure.

A resounding "no" to all the rest.
          Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
            When you say "known to the police", do you mean that he was known to them to be the murderer, or just that he was someone who'd been spoken to in the course of the investigation?
            I took it to be the latter, which is broader... I'm not sure if the pollster meant it that way, though.
            ---------------
            Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
            ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger View Post
              I meant he was investigated of otherwise considered a suspect by genuine Victorian policeman. Someone like John Pizer or one of the big 3-- Kosminski, Druitt or Ostrog.

Comment

3,4+5 for me
                This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

I think I'd say no idea really just speculation to all the above.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Quite sure that Jack the Ripper's identity was known to some of the top police during 1888.

We actually have an enormous amount of evidence.

They simply had no intention of catching him.
                    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Why not?

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                      Quite sure that Jack the Ripper's identity was known to some of the top police during 1888.

We actually have an enormous amount of evidence.

They simply had no intention of catching him.
                      Why wouldn't they want to catch him, with the increasing pressure from the Queen and the public?
                      ---------------
                      ---------------

Comment

I think Jack may have been questioned by the police in the course of the investigations but, if he was named in any list of possibles at the time, that hasn't come down to us. I do believe that Stride was a C-5 victim and go backwards and forwards on Martha Tabram. I believe poor Mary was murdered in her room. I'm not compelled by arguments that she was spirited away somewhere, or fled and some other woman killed in her place.

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                          Why wouldn't they want to catch him, with the increasing pressure from the Queen and the public?
                          Reckon The Lusk Letter sums that one up.

What pressure did the Queen put on.
                          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

imagine

Hello Rivkah. Thanks for starting this poll.

You can imagine my vote on Stride and different hands.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                              I meant he was investigated of otherwise considered a suspect by genuine Victorian policeman. Someone like John Pizer or one of the big 3-- Kosminski, Druitt or Ostrog.
                              Then you should have written that: JtR was someone who has contemporarously investigated or suspected by the police.

The one thing we can learn from polls is that the answer is always goverened by the question.

Comment

Working...
                              X