WS1888: Jon Rees - A Century Apart- Profiles of Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WS1888: Jon Rees - A Century Apart- Profiles of Jack the Ripper

We are pleased to bring to you the December 2018 guest speaker talk from the Whitechapel Society.

Jon Rees - "A Century Apart- Profiles of Jack the Ripper".

Jon Rees has published several articles for Ripperologist Magazine, given talks at numerous conferences and is a regular and long time contributor to our Rippercast roundtable discussions.

During the Q&A portion of the presentation, Bill Beadle says that this talk is one of the best the Whitechapel Society has had in years.

Its available now to stream or download now from the following link:

Also available in iTunes, TuneIn, Podcast Addict, Google Podcasts, and wherever else in-depth presentations about Dr. Thomas Bond's profile on the Whitechapel Murderer can be found.

Thanks to Jon Rees, Steve Rattey, Tony Power and the entire Committee of the Whitechapel Society.

Thanks for listening!

JM
    Last edited by jmenges; 12-04-2018, 06:05 PM.

Looking forward to this, JM. The talk given by Jon Rees at the 2013 Ripper Conference was excellent, and memorable in more ways than one!
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Thanks Gareth!

Bill Beadle said in the Q&A that Douglas participated in the earlier 1981 study "at the University of Kansas" and that's where his first profile was made. Is this true? I assume he meant Eckert's work done for Wichita State University's "Ripper Project". I was under the impression that Douglas didn't get involved in the project until Eckert suggested him to the producers at Fox for the television program. I looked through old Casebook threads about the WSU stuff and saw that I was trying to track it all down 10 years ago. I received material from Stewart Evans but that was about as far as I got.

I do not believe Douglas was involved that early but I stand to be corrected.

JM

Comment

I answered my own question. Bill Beadle was correct in that Douglas supplied Eckert with his profile in 1981.

JM

Comment

Unless Eckert was conflating the 1981 project and the 1888 television show into one event when he wrote his 1989 article on the Ripper Project, which is entirely possible.

As you were,

JM

Comment

Originally posted by jmenges View Post
            Unless Eckert was conflating the 1981 project and the 1888 television show into one event when he wrote his 1989 article on the Ripper Project, which is entirely possible.

As you were,

JM
            That's what I think happened. I think Douglas would have written about it otherwise.

Comment

Douglas states in his 1995 book Mind Hunter that "Back in 1988 I was asked to analyze the Ripper murders for a nationally broadcast television program." He says very much the same thing in his 2000 book The Cases That Still Haunt Us. It seems unlikely that he provided Eckert with a profile in 1981, although he does write that he has had a long standing interest in the Ripper case.

Wolf.

Comment

Thanks Wolf & Jon,

My confusion, and possibly Bill Beadle's also, stems from how Eckert describes Douglas' involvement in the 1981 Wichita State University Ripper Project in a paper published about it in 1989 which, Eckert mentions at the end, culminated in the television program.

I've put the entire article up on the server.

JM

Comment

Working...
                X