This Gordon Brown nonsense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Gordon Brown nonsense

I watched it unfold as it happened on the telly today and some things struck me...

a) I think Brown meant to say that her view on East European immigration to the UK was bigoted/prejudiced/ill-informed, not that she herself was a bigot. Which isn't really the same thing. That's what I reckon he actually meant to say anyway... but it didn't come out like that.

b) The chat he had with the lady went well really because it ended up with her saying she'd vote Labour. So what was this disaster Brown is referring to? Actually being confronted by Mrs Voter I imagine.

Ah well....

Originally posted by johns View Post
    b) The chat he had with the lady went well really because it ended up with her saying she'd vote Labour. So what was this disaster Brown is referring to? Actually being confronted by Mrs Voter I imagine.
    I think it was because it was a photo-opportunity that had been arranged by his own aides, and it had not gone at all according to plan - with Mrs Duffy saying she was almost ashamed to be Labour and so on.

At any rate it's a good illustration of the man's dishonesty - for example, his claim that the press prevented him from answering her question, or his claim that he had "misunderstood" what she said. Patent falsehoods.

Not that politicians of one party are significantly more dishonest than those of any other ...

Comment

The history book on the shelf, is always repeating itself....

Andersson/Ulvaeus 1979...Abba.

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

I think it was jolly good and decent of Mr Brown to speak to the kind of plebeian riff-raff who cannot decide their own salaries, vote themselves huge pensions or fiddle their expenses. Some people don't realise how fortunate they are.

Comment

Robert,

Yes, the wonderous fellow gently side stepped the issue afterwards by saying he didn't mean to say it... err... that means he only meant to think it. Which tells me masses.
          Good old Mrs Normal Voter wins the day. I'd back her in a By-Election against him any day!

best wishes

Phil
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

The hapless Brown nearly stepped into a [minor] gaffe with Duff whilst speaking to her.

I am referring to his indiscreet surprise that her grandchildren were SO YOUNG, when he was asking if they were going to University.

Byh the way, I still think Cameron is a dead ringer for Montie Druitt, his fellow Oxonian.

Comment

Hello Jonathan,

Hahaha! Cameron...Druitt...hahaha..love it!

You really do need a course of anti-Montie Druitts my friend. It certainly will be your Swan-son(g)...
              Take two Kozzies and Tumble down for half an Ostrog and get 40 winks.
              You will feel much better in the morning, head won't be so Thicke with falling sensations. The tabs help to "bridge" the gap...If it persists, Abbernotherline of Kozzies. If Deeming yourself to be ok, have a game of cricket and in a few days time you will feel right "Royal". Otherwise, the writing is on the wall....

best wishes

Phil
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

I'm still cackling about the Gordon Brown gaffe

The breakfast presenter on my local radio had a great time with it: every time he spoke to a woman during this morning's show; callers, interviewees or reporters; he played the grab straight afterwards: "Why did I have to speak to that woman...just a bigot" or whatever it was.

Bob Hawke, when he was PM of Oz, had a similar moment. During a 'meet the plebs' session some old bloke came up to him complaining about the government's treatment of vets or pensioners or something. Like Brown, Hawke forgot he had a mike on, and as he walked away he was clearly heard to mutter "Silly old bugger".
                Chief Superintendent Brownlow: "Are there any Tension Indicators? Over!"

DI Galloway: "Tension indicators?! They're throwing bloody petrol bombs. Sir."

Comment

A two-faced politician? This is an outrage! By the standards of his profession, Brown's only crime is that he got caught.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Comment

Do you not think that considering how many times Brown has been"miked up"during his spell as PM,that he wouldn't know when it was on or off.That's without taking into consideration his hangers on that are inches away whenever he does something like this,to make sure it all runs smoothly.
                    Considering the fact that,by their own admission,a large number of their votes come from the ethnic community(perhaps that's why they stopped counting when they let so many in)and how badly Brown did during the three leaders debate,it was the ideal moment,as any experienced leader would recognise,to cement votes from the ethnics that may go to other parties..and get full media coverage into the bargain.
                    The disaster,is that the north of England holds many traditional voters who won't like this episode at all...apart from if the lady in question accepts Browns apology,but she was not the push over they thought she would be, as she announced "I was going to vote Labour,but now I'm not".
                    So,they were into damage limitation..and he turned up today for a photo call shaking hands with the lady.."no hard feelings" stuff...but,she'd gone out!!!

Comment

Brown's outing

I think what was equally telling was the fact that he immediately blamed one of his aides for arranging the meeting

Comment

Let's be fair : were we ever blessed with three such towering intellects as Brown, Cameron and Clegg? I'm just glad that Newton and Einstein didn't live to see them, for they'd have thrown in the towel in despair. Newton would have spent his nights drowning his sorrows down the pub, while Einstein would have quit science for ten pin bowling.

Cameron and Druitt? The thing is, when Druitt said he'd kill himself, he did it. Cameron would bob up to the surface again after a couple of minutes. I'd give Cameron a cast iron guarantee to make sure he stayed down, but there you go.

Comment

Brown, Cameron, and Clegg. I f***ing hate Last of the Summer Wine.

Steve.

Comment

"What did she say?"

"Oh, everything. She was some kind of Nora Batty woman."

"Never mind, Smiler."

Comment

I don't know what all the fuss is about. If I see Brown I'm going to ask him where he thinks all these East Europeans are coming from and collect £100,000 from the papers when he answers: "Eastern Europe, I would imagine, you bigoted woman you".

And then I'm going to vote for the Monster Raving Loony candidate - which could be any of 'em.

Love,

Mrs. Loaded of Purley
                              X
                              Last edited by caz; 04-30-2010, 06:21 PM.
                              "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Working...
                              X